PDA

View Full Version : jake brakes??

kicken250x
07-28-2003, 09:37 AM
how do they work? u know the things on the dump trucks and 18 wheelers that makes them go "WWWHHHHAAAAAA" (lol) when they slow down?

hawiianpwr
07-28-2003, 10:00 AM
Theres a butterfly they put on the exhaust side of turbo that controlled by a seloniod that closes it and gives that deisel back pressure so that it helps slow down the truck and not eating up brakes.

Glow Plug
07-28-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by hawiianpwr
Theres a butterfly they put on the exhaust side of turbo that controlled by a seloniod that closes it and gives that deisel back pressure so that it helps slow down the truck and not eating up brakes.

so thats what it is lol

07-28-2003, 10:07 AM
& many trucks have 2 & 4 cycle ...retarders or "jakebrakes"

cdalejef
07-28-2003, 10:17 AM
I used to have a 72 TM400 that had something simlar to a Jake Brake. It released pressure out of the culinder and slowed you down. That bike was death!

hondafox440
07-28-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
I used to have a 72 TM400 that had something simlar to a Jake Brake. It released pressure out of the culinder and slowed you down. That bike was death!

Heh, the TM400 Hurricane. Labeled as THE most deadly dirtbike ever produced..

cdalejef
07-28-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by hondafox440
Heh, the TM400 Hurricane. Labeled as THE most deadly dirtbike ever produced.. I believe that!!!:huh

hondafox440
07-28-2003, 10:24 AM
From the backwards-progressive suspension to the featherlight flywheel to the throttle that liked to get stuck when you were WFO.. I would love to ride one of those bikes just once.

cdalejef
07-28-2003, 10:36 AM
It would actually ourrun my buddies CR250

kicken250x
07-28-2003, 10:39 AM
oh ok! haha thanks alot guys! this TM400 was it like a dirt bike or what?

AtvMxRider
07-28-2003, 10:45 AM

That is not how a jake brake works on big truck. A jake brake has a solenoid that holds the exhaust valve halfway shut. It keeps the exhaust in the engine to slow it down.

cdalejef
07-28-2003, 10:46 AM
I guess you could call it that!:ermm:

nofearhonda
07-28-2003, 11:15 AM

I hate to say it but you are all wrong, Jake brake is a brand name not a type of brake, on a Cummins aits called a C-Brake system.

By the way its a solenoid system that is linked with the rocker arms of the exhaust valves of the engine, it opens up the valves to let commpression oout and there for engine braking slows down the truck, you can usually open just two cyclinders, 4 cyilners or all 6. Just my .02

:huh :huh :huh :huh :huh :huh :huh

AtvMxRider
07-28-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by nofearhonda
I hate to say it but you are all wrong, Jake brake is a brand name not a type of brake, on a Cummins aits called a C-Brake system.

By the way its a solenoid system that is linked with the rocker arms of the exhaust valves of the engine, it opens up the valves to let commpression oout and there for engine braking slows down the truck, you can usually open just two cyclinders, 4 cyilners or all 6. Just my .02

:huh :huh :huh :huh :huh :huh :huh

Well I've only been working on Big trucks for the last 20 years. So I think I know what I'm talking about:huh And not only does cummins have a c-brake they have a pac brake also. They are all brand names but they do the same thing. It does not open up the valves it closes them.:ermm: It keeps the exhaust gases inside the engine wich causes engine braking. If you let cpmression out like you say it does nothing but let the engine free wheel there for does nothing for slowing the vehicle down.

nofearhonda
07-28-2003, 11:39 AM
sure ok

AtvMxRider
07-28-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by nofearhonda
sure ok

Let me ask you have you been to a deisel college?

nofearhonda
07-28-2003, 11:42 AM
Yes I have.

offroader786
07-28-2003, 11:44 AM
i drive a 84 f250 turbo diesel and a jake brake allows the truck to slow down without lowering the rpm's so that truckers can go thru small towns and stuff so they can get back going again withought having to rev up there trucks.:D

AtvMxRider
07-28-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by offroader786
i drive a 84 f250 turbo diesel and a jake brake allows the truck to slow down without lowering the rpm's so that truckers can go thru small towns and stuff so they can get back going again withought having to rev up there trucks.:D

:huh Jake brakes are used to slow the truck down without using up all your brakes. They are mainly used for the mountains.

TheRedRebel17
07-28-2003, 11:47 AM
Im with that guy^

sly400ex
07-28-2003, 11:51 AM
Here...this settles it...and nofear is right......

A Jake Brake modifies the timing on the exhaust valves so that, when braking is desired, the exhaust valves open right as the piston reaches the top of the compression stroke. The energy gathered in the compressed air is released, so the compression stroke actually provides braking power.

The whole article.....

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question134.htm

offroader786
07-28-2003, 12:01 PM
ok but i live smack dab in the middle of oklahoma, the truking capitols of the u.s., my buddy took diesel meachanics at VO-Tech and there are nothing but redneck truckers here

AtvMxRider
07-28-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by sly400ex
Here...this settles it...and nofear is right......

A Jake Brake modifies the timing on the exhaust valves so that, when braking is desired, the exhaust valves open right as the piston reaches the top of the compression stroke. The energy gathered in the compressed air is released, so the compression stroke actually provides braking power.

The whole article.....

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question134.htm

Well I stand corrected then. Nofear I apologize.

Leo
07-28-2003, 02:42 PM
They make exhuast brakes for diesel trucks that are in fact just a butterfly valve in the exhuast stream. Somewhat usefull on pickup class vehicles.

My understanding of a "jake" style exhaust brake pretty much jive's with what sly400ex posted. When your running 20:1 compression it takes a lot of energy to compress all that air, instead of injecting fuel the exhuast valve is opened and dumps the pressure. Pretty effective system. Saves wear / tear on brakes for sure.

I do know that they are terribly annoying at 3am when the log truck goes sailing by at 60 (I used to live on a steep grade with many sharp turns downhill from me).

But I'm a LD guy myself, don't work on the big stuff (nor do I want to, lol).

Leo

AtvMxRider
07-28-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Leo

But I'm a LD guy myself, don't work on the big stuff (nor do I want to, lol).

Leo

Leo honestly the big trucks are much easier to work on the the LD ones.

hawiianpwr
07-28-2003, 02:46 PM
Cool I wondered how the big trucks worked. The only thing I've every seen were the butterflys on pickups

honda350r
07-28-2003, 03:07 PM
should have read all the post ..