PDA

View Full Version : Brake Rotor Hub Removal

enault
07-28-2003, 02:11 AM
I am having trouble removing the brake rotor hub from the spline on the drive shaft. I think I have tried everything (heating, beating on it with a mallet, liquid wrench) nothing has broken it loose. Do you guys have any ideas?
Eric

07-28-2003, 02:15 AM
You might have to pull the axle out if it will let you.. Sounds like it's bound up inside the carrier...:ermm:

For some unknown reason mine was kinda hard to get off last time i pulled out my carrier to grease it..Don't really know why but it has me wonderin:confused:

If you can get the axle out and the hub stays on there you got issues..:( Might have to beat the rotor hub out from the opposite side of the carrier. Like take a punch or long screwdriver thru the carrier to get to hub itself..:confused:

I could be talkin outa ma *** and this might not work at all...:(

enault
07-28-2003, 02:30 AM
It isn't bound in the carrier. The shop manual says to remove the brake rotor hub then slide the drive shaft out the left hand side. I beleive if I could get the rotor off the spline the shaft will slide through. Did you remove the swingarm from the atv and put the swingarm in a vice? This thing is really pissing me off. I just need to free up the brake rotor hub on the drive shaft spline.

muff
07-28-2003, 04:19 AM
i know this is a stupid question but someones gotta ask it....did you take of the c-clip?

and if you did just take your right hub off if you didnt already and pull the axle out or hit it out

enault
07-28-2003, 08:03 AM
Yes. I have removed the wheel hub, axle stop ring, outer lock nut, inner lock nut, and the lock bolt/sleeve. The brake rotor hub is fused to the darn spline on the drive shaft.

Six Six Six
07-28-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by enault
Yes. I have removed the wheel hub, axle stop ring, outer lock nut, inner lock nut, and the lock bolt/sleeve. The brake rotor hub is fused to the darn spline on the drive shaft.

you didnt mention that u removed this but there is a c clip on the rotor hub too.

muff
07-28-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Six Six Six
you didnt mention that u removed this but there is a c clip on the rotor hub too.

oh yea i forgot about that one

kyex40047
07-28-2003, 06:47 PM
I had this happen to me when i went to try and change the bearings, i had let the bearings go bad and they got ate to nothing. it got so hot down there that when i jumped a few little jumps the carrier cracked this made it hard to get the caliper mount off and also the brake hub too..:mad:

I had already torn up the locknut so i was going to an anti fade locknut from lonestar and that had a brake hub built in and i bought a new wave rotor too. :ermm:

So I just got a steel rod and a hammer and i hit a few times and that slid it off the splines.

Buying that locknut was the best thing i ever did.

When i frist took the axle apart it took me 4 hours just to get to where i could pull the axle out,:cuss: now it only takes me 15min :macho

400ex99
07-30-2003, 08:49 PM
six six six, you mentioned another clip behind the rotor, in servicehonda.com the piture of the axle shows only one clip #11. the one behind the rotor is #12 but its a o ring, this shouldn't keep the rotor from sliding off? i got everything off but the rotor, then i can hit the axle out to the left side.

Six Six Six
07-30-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by 400ex99
six six six, you mentioned another clip behind the rotor, in servicehonda.com the piture of the axle shows only one clip #11. the one behind the rotor is #12 but its a o ring, this shouldn't keep the rotor from sliding off? i got everything off but the rotor, then i can hit the axle out to the left side.

my mistake. I thought that maybe the external snap ring was holding on the rotor hub too but it does not. It only holds on the carrier. After what you have done it should pull off with no other removal of parts. Sorry for the confusion and best of luck