PDA

View Full Version : Painting Frame?

01-20-2002, 02:47 PM
I planning on powdor coating my frame blue, but the question I have is should I get the old paint stripped off or should I have it painted right over the old paint.

chris29
01-20-2002, 02:52 PM
If you can try to stip it off it will be alot cheaper if you can. The powdercoater will just end up taking it off anyway and he will charge you for it they don't powdercoat over the old paint. They bead blast it off. The paint if very hard to get off. We had to dip mine in some kind of acid for 2days to get that crap off.

kabd69667
01-20-2002, 03:17 PM
You can go buy this stuff called pro stripper, it'll take that paint right off

NacsRacing400
01-20-2002, 08:26 PM
Not to get off the subject but kabd69, how do u like your rear shock that was converted to an ssd elka? Im planning to get that done to my rear shock. And now back to the topic, Im having mine powder coated this week and all the powder coating place said to do is degrease the frame and they will bead blast it and do everything else. No need to strip it.

chris29
01-20-2002, 09:42 PM
Yeah thats what we did to mine if you can stip it down your self it will be much cheaper. I have access to a bead blaster so I did my subframe and other parts then diped my frame in acid to stip it down. If you do all that it will be cheaper and it will take them less time to paint your frame and you will get it back sooner.

kabd69667
01-21-2002, 06:56 AM
I like my rear shock. You can tell you sit lower with the ssd. I think thye did a great job on the rebuild for a great price. For only $275 you can't beat it

NacsRacing400
01-21-2002, 07:37 AM
Who did you have do the elka kit because if you found it for cheaper than 285 then ill go with whoever you got to do your shock, and if i get the ssd put onto my rear shock do you think it would still be ok with my stock front shocks till i get the money to buy them? Thanks

kabd69667
01-21-2002, 07:58 AM
I got mine from Mark at HSD Racing www.hsdracing.com
It would really sit weird if you just had the back done. I don't know if that would be ok or not. You'd have to call a dealer or elka itself and talk to them about.

CBW
02-03-2002, 09:58 AM
It is necessary to strip any metal part down to bare metal for the application of powder...............I do my own powdercoating and it is very time consuming to do the stripping.........and final prep work. Good luck:)

One thing to remember is that powdercoating cures out anywhere from 350 to 400 degrees.......

kid300ex
02-03-2002, 11:27 AM
Cant you buy kits that you do yourself at home for powdercoating? I saw it on Horsepower tv or one of those shows.... You just spray on this powder and put it in the oven!

CBW
02-03-2002, 12:46 PM
Yes you can..........ths simplest kit starts at around $200 and comes with one can of black powder.........
But you must have a dedicated oven! somewhere other than in your kitchen!!!!!!!!! The fumes from it curing would fill your house.
I built myself an oven from an old three door freezer i got from one of my jobs so I could do frames, and it is in my shop.
the small stuff can be done in a toasteroven.
go to hotcoat.com............