PDA

View Full Version : xc front end setup questions

coryatver
07-27-2003, 09:41 AM
Right now I have a 2000 400ex with stock a-arms and suspention. I race cross country. I am starting to feel some freeplay in the front end. I thought it was the bearings but i replaced them and relized it is the a-arm/shock bushings and maybe the ball joints also. My question is what do you do to fix this? I am thinking about getting front shocks. Would it be smart just to buy new aftermarket a-arms too? If so what kind do you get for cross country? Thanks

RiPPiNiTuP7
07-27-2003, 09:49 AM
once the balljoints go bad on stock arms their junk...throw them in the trash. i wouldn't bother picking up brand new stock arms, that would be a waste of your money. i would grab a set of +1 aftermarket ones....like houser, burgard, etc.. they will run somewhere in the $500 range. shocks....well how much can u spend first?

Pappy
07-27-2003, 10:34 AM
yep sounds like the stock arms are headed to the dumpster. if XC is what your game is id suggest snagging a take off set on ebay or from here on the site. (take off being damn near new ) they range from $65 to $100 a set on average.

then id spend all the money i had..could get ..beg ..or borrow and invest in front shocks. dont waste the cash on a arms yet. if after you have several xc races under your belt then maybe invest in a set of stock width aftermarket or +1 arms.

coryatver
07-27-2003, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the help. I raced at millfield and the yorkville buccs. Now I am hooked on racing. Next year I plan on going all out. So I guess you have to replace the whole a-arm. They are not that bad yet. I just hope they will hold out for 2 more races.

Dave400ex
07-27-2003, 05:32 PM
I agree with Pappy buy a set of almost new, used stock a-arms and spend all your money on really good shocks. If you have the money to spend on really good shocks and a-arms, then get both.

250rmike
07-31-2003, 12:13 PM
talk to 2r's he does a ball joint replacement thing that puts aftermarket removable balljoints in the stock a-arms i beleive he also replaces the bushings with heims not sure on that though

Ex'r Marlin
08-01-2003, 05:36 AM
If your ball joints are "just" starting to get loose, you should have several more races on it before it may become unbearable. I say this because when I noticed mine getting loose, I let mine go for almost a year before I replaced my stock a-arms. Before I replaced the a-arms, a couple of the ball joints were very loose, and they never failed me.

I recently went with + 1 a-arms... Wow, what an improvement in handling over stock!:) The only negative now is that it is a little wider now going through the tight stuff.:eek:

Good luck racing!!!!:)

coryatver
08-02-2003, 02:19 PM
I just got back from racing at crow canyon. I am not sure about the plus 1's now, that track was tight! My freind has offset wheels and he did ok but his rear tire got caught once and he flew off.