PDA

View Full Version : 2004 AMA Rule Changes

Varmit57
07-27-2003, 08:32 AM
In October the AMA will meet with all of the Congress Deligates and discuss all of the Rule changes for next year. As a Congress Deligate, I (among many) have to submit ideas for changes before Aug 1. 2003.

If you have any ideas or input for changes to the AMA rules please let your congress deligate know as soon as you can(Before Fri. the 1st).

IF you are not sure who your deligates are contact someone from your district.

You can download and read the 2003 rules from Here! (http://www.ama-cycle.org/rulebooks/)

Here is a link to the ATVA's web Site. (http://www.atvaonline.com/index.asp)

You can also leave comments here, I will be submitting some purposed changes myself.

JUSTINcredible
07-27-2003, 12:04 PM
the 250/440 classes get changed to 250/450

Varmit57
07-27-2003, 12:48 PM
the 250/440 classes get changed to 250/450
That was the first change that I submited! They also want to here a reason for the changes, so if you have a good reason that you want this or any AMA rule changed let us know.

EvilJester400EX
07-27-2003, 01:59 PM
Let younger riders race the bigger quads, lol.

Brad
07-27-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by EvilJester400EX

let us 14-15 year olds race our 400exs

muff
07-27-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Brad
let us 14-15 year olds race our 400exs

actually i think an age limit is a good idea, i'm not saying that you are, but some of the younger riders havent had the needed experience and i have seen first hand of people crashing because of other stupid peoples mistakes

Brad
07-27-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by muff
actually i think an age limit is a good idea, i'm not saying that you are, but some of the younger riders havent had the needed experience and i have seen first hand of people crashing because of other stupid peoples mistakes

sorry ill rephrase that:

let me race my 400ex

Martin Blair
07-27-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by EvilJester400EX

yes have no age restrictions, its not a law just a reconmend daytion, theres alot of riders that alredy race is hare-scrambles, why not gnc or gncc?

Varmit57
07-27-2003, 10:30 PM
The age restrictions on Racing quads has been going back and forth for a long time and the strides that we made last year we huge compaired to what we had in the past.

There are some that want it to be a size restriction, But the goverment and others said that would be to hard to police and wound not be fair.

If you are 14 or 15 you can now race up to 200cc 2 stroke or 300cc four stroke at a GNC or GNCC event. Unfortunatly there are a lot of track owners that are still not alowing then to race local.

I do agree that there are some younger riders that can handle bigger quads! The problem is that when you open it up then you'll get some kid that has no experiance at all and no common sence, jumps on a 400ex or a 250R and getts hurt or hurts someone else. Then that makes the every person that rides a quad look bad to the public and makes the goverment want to shut down quad racing or close riding areas.

If you can find a better way to lay out the classes and give a good reason. I will be glad to submit it to them.

250rmike
07-28-2003, 07:23 AM
this isnt really something the ama can do but more of the government. i am tired of hearing about people getting hurt not wearing helmets there needs to be a law that you must wear a helmet at all times.

also get more payout for the pro/pro production class i mean look at how much pro bikes make compared to quads

Brad
07-28-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by 250rmike
this isnt really something the ama can do but more of the government. i am tired of hearing about people getting hurt not wearing helmets there needs to be a law that you must wear a helmet at all times.

also get more payout for the pro/pro production class i mean look at how much pro bikes make compared to quads

yeah both of those ideas are very very very good :D

Varmit57
07-28-2003, 12:06 PM
The AMA already has a rule that you have to wear a helmet at all of there events and that is as far as there juridiction goes, If you want a law for your state then you need to contact your State Senitor or Represenitive.

As far as the Payouts go that is up to the promotor of the events. The fact is that the factorys back the bike riders and the public is willing to pay to watch them and the Quads don't pull in as many spectators as the bikes do (YET)!

JessetheKid
07-28-2003, 12:27 PM
I think it would only be fair to increase the 2stroke displacement in the 250 class if they are gonna increase the 4stroke allowed displacement

310Rduner
07-28-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by JessetheKid
I think it would only be fair to increase the 2stroke displacement in the 250 class if they are gonna increase the 4stroke allowed displacement

I agree.. they are just trying to push us out i think.. not like 10cc's will give them much advantage....

I wouldn't mind seeing em raise the cc's to 310 or 330 and also bumping up the 4 strokes to the equal. But i see how it would make it hard for the non-pros who couldnt afford the aftermarket big bores...

I just think throwing in alot more cc's would make it a bit more fun and interesting....:devil:

JessetheKid
07-28-2003, 01:21 PM
they increase the 4stroke but not the 2stroke i think it would b sweet if it was like 300 for 2stroke

cheetah
07-28-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by 310Rduner
I agree.. they are just trying to push us out i think.. not like 10cc's will give them much advantage....

I wouldn't mind seeing em raise the cc's to 310 or 330 and also bumping up the 4 strokes to the equal. But i see how it would make it hard for the non-pros who couldnt afford the aftermarket big bores...

I just think throwing in alot more cc's would make it a bit more fun and interesting....:devil:

That's why there is an open class.

TC17
07-28-2003, 01:38 PM
try to get the 14/15 year olds in MX 200cc 2 stroke-300cc 4 stroke. more reasonable age limits because retarded kids go and get the bigger bikes just because they know they can't and hurt themselves. if it was more reasonalbe age limits, then the retarded kids will get a something bigger than a 90 but not as big as a 400. know what i mean? all quads should have to have a tether kill switch for just riding around, and there should be more quads class. when i race there are 6 classes, A,B,C,D,mini,and ATV production(my class, i run with C or D, but it's 14/15 200 2 stroke, 300 4 stroke).

mxdave28
07-29-2003, 04:40 AM
well here are my 2 cents worth.....

if they change the 440 to the 450 for thumpers then change the 265 up to 295 for the 2 strokes.

i think that the 250 A B C class should only be 2 strokes! since the thumpers have their "own" classes

the Pro-Am keep the same 2/4 strokes but raise the limits 295/450

thats all i can think of for now

XANDADA
07-29-2003, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by mxdave28
well here are my 2 cents worth.....

if they change the 440 to the 450 for thumpers then change the 265 up to 295 for the 2 strokes.

i think that the 250 A B C class should only be 2 strokes! since the thumpers have their "own" classes

the Pro-Am keep the same 2/4 strokes but raise the limits 295/450

thats all i can think of for now

Right on! ^^^^:D

250rmike
07-29-2003, 09:17 AM
i agree with those they weem reasonable. i really agree with the 2 stroke class. its a class for 2 strokes just like the 4 stroke class but us guy with 2 less strokes cant compete in the 4 stroke so why can they compete in our class. wow i just said a bunch of strokes

Varmit57
07-29-2003, 11:53 AM
:rolleyes: Let me get this straight, So in the Bike classes it is OK to run a 450cc four stroke against a 250cc two stroke but in quads when we want to raise the limits by 10cc to more of an even match, then you guys that run two strokes(that already out horse power us four strokes) want to raise your cc's by atleast twice that much?

Most motor builders will agree that you can produce almost twice the horse power from the same displacement in a 2 stroke compaired to a 4 stroke. That is why the world of Supercross and Motorcross the 250cc 2 stroke bikes compete against the 450cc 4 strokes and 125cc 2 strokes compete agains 250cc fourstrokes.

I know when I line up on the gate against a 250r Powervalve that I'm going to eat dirt for atleast the first straightaway untell I either pass him or he walks away from me.

I do agree that the 4 strokes should be pulled out of the 2 stroke class, I will be submitting that for discusion.

You guys that ride two strokes also need to be aware that all across the country there are law makers that are tring to banned 2 strokes. Here is one of many articals on the AMA site! (http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/releases/2003/G03014.asp)

07-29-2003, 12:12 PM
i tihnk that after the age of about 13.14 you should be able to race a 400ex or bigger quad....just take a test..proving that you ahve the riding ability to handle it...and if you pass the test..they should give out cards.like the AMA card....saying that you are now able to race an atv above a certain size limit...and if you dont pass..your stuck on a 90...becuase i know i along with a few other people i know have had the ability to race when i was 13..i grew up around quads....i was riding a heavily modded warrior when i was 12....and i could handle it fine..when i got my ex i could handle that fine....

TheRedRebel17
07-29-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Varmit57
:rolleyes: Let me get this straight, So in the Bike classes it is OK to run a 450cc four stroke against a 250cc two stroke but in quads when we want to raise the limits by 10cc to more of an even match, then you guys that run two strokes(that already out horse power us four strokes) want to raise your cc's by atleast twice that much?

Most motor builders will agree that you can produce almost twice the horse power from the same displacement in a 2 stroke compaired to a 4 stroke. That is why the world of Supercross and Motorcross the 250cc 2 stroke bikes compete against the 450cc 4 strokes and 125cc 2 strokes compete agains 250cc fourstrokes.

We are talking about atv not bikes here..a 250 will hang with a 450 yes in a bike, but when you get them in a atv frame with twice the weight, it all changes :ermm:

mxdave28
07-29-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Varmit57

You guys that ride two strokes also need to be aware that all across the country there are law makers that are tring to banned 2 strokes. Here is one of many articals on the AMA site! (http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/releases/2003/G03014.asp)

I hope i didnt make anyone mad thats not my intentions. :( the mention of doubling the CC's in 2 strokes i didnt understand at first but, understood it after reading it several times before seeing what you were saying....but, lets look at it this way and only talking about quads...., the rule now is 265 cc for 2 strokes and 440cc's for thumpers i am going to bet that the only reason they want to raise the thumper limit to 450 is because of the hybrid quads out there now...and of couse the new quads coming out(yamaha and hopefully honda) and by doing this people wouldnt have to spend more money having their motors sleeved down. but i dont think that they should give the thumpers more CC's and not give the 2 strokes something?? im not saying up it to 300 heck no 295 is just fine. 295 is a common CC size thats why i use it for reffrence(sp) ....now about your comment on the banning of 2 strokes your almost right...some states and the Gov't are trying to ban 2 stroke motors but, its not "all" its just "new" they dont want anymore production of 2 stroke motors but, what you have now will be ok....they dont like it but, they will live with it. hope i didnt make ya mad in anyway there varmit??? later

07-29-2003, 01:42 PM
I hope i didnt make anyone mad thats not my intentions. :( the mention of doubling the CC's in 2 strokes i didnt understand at first but, understood it after reading it several times before seeing what you were saying....but, lets look at it this way and only talking about quads...., the rule now is 265 cc for 2 strokes and 440cc's for thumpers i am going to bet that the only reason they want to raise the thumper limit to 450 is because of the hybrid quads out there now...and of couse the new quads coming out(yamaha and hopefully honda) and by doing this people wouldnt have to spend more money having their motors sleeved down. but i dont think that they should give the thumpers more CC's and not give the 2 strokes something?? im not saying up it to 300 heck no 295 is just fine. 295 is a common CC size thats why i use it for reffrence(sp) ....now about your comment on the banning of 2 strokes your almost right...some states and the Gov't are trying to ban 2 stroke motors but, its not "all" its just "new" they dont want anymore production of 2 stroke motors but, what you have now will be ok....they dont like it but, they will live with it. hope i didnt make ya mad in anyway there varmit??? later

the new yamaha is a 439 cc...;)

400EXrider#91
07-29-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by nacsracer27
i tihnk that after the age of about 13.14 you should be able to race a 400ex or bigger quad....just take a test..proving that you ahve the riding ability to handle it...and if you pass the test..they should give out cards.like the AMA card....saying that you are now able to race an atv above a certain size limit...and if you dont pass..your stuck on a 90...becuase i know i along with a few other people i know have had the ability to race when i was 13..i grew up around quads....i was riding a heavily modded warrior when i was 12....and i could handle it fine..when i got my ex i could handle that fine....

what he said, what he said

Varmit57
07-29-2003, 04:07 PM
hope i didnt make ya mad in anyway there varmit???
I'm not mad, This is a dissuction fourm and everyone is entitled to there opinion. If I don't like what someone has to say then I stop reading :D

We are talking about atv not bikes here..a 250 will hang with a 450 yes in a bike, but when you get them in a atv frame with twice the weight, it all changes
The Thumpers have to carry that weight too and most of the time more becuse of the battary and starter.... Alot of the reason that I think it would be good is to help the manufactures produce a ATV with the same motors that they already have. The YFZ450 was destroked to 440 so it would be considered by racers to help sell it. If this rule was 450 you know that it would have 450cc's.

mxdave28
07-29-2003, 07:11 PM
the new yamaha is a 439 cc...;)

Good point! i forgot all about that :D which reminds me....why didnt they just call it a Yzf 440?

310Rduner
07-29-2003, 10:18 PM
Good point! i forgot all about that :D which reminds me....why didnt they just call it a Yzf 440?

... why do they call the 250R a 250 when it is 246cc's??

it's just because they can.. and i guess they think it sounds better or something.. and i would agree.. at least with the r's.. 246 just isnt as sexy;)

i think most if not all the bikes are slightly off, just a matter of how far they round up.

300ex -- ~286cc's
400ex ~ 398 right?
250r ~ 246cc's
Blaster (ughh) ~ 198cc's?

All i can think of right now, i just don't want to try and think of the rest.

07-29-2003, 10:21 PM
Good point! i forgot all about that :D which reminds me....why didnt they just call it a Yzf 440? becuase its the 450 engine.....they jsut use basic facts i guess...its the 450 dirtbike just re-sleeved to a 439...i guess they jsut wanted to keep it simply with the 450....your guess is as good as mine

250rmike
07-30-2003, 05:01 AM
ahh but the c-dale fx400 was 439cc(or somewhere around there)

i beleive that the new 4 strokes are alot better race platforms since they can produce the same amount of power and alot more torque than 2 strokes and with less mods. i mean a stock hybrid yzf quad with exhaust can produce as much if not more power than a modded r. then add a cam, ported polished and high comp. piston and its a whole new monster

400EXrider#91
07-30-2003, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by 310Rduner

300ex -- ~286cc's
400ex ~ 398 right?
250r ~ 246cc's
Blaster (ughh) ~ 198cc's?

correct me if i am wrong on mine corrections but:

300ex- 286cc sounds good:D
400ex-397cc
250r-246ccsounds good too
blaster-195cc

:cool:

400EXrider#91
07-30-2003, 05:25 AM

did everybody read this???