PDA

View Full Version : sWINGARM bOLT

Z400/400ex
07-27-2003, 04:07 AM
I AM IN THE PROCESS OF TAKING OUT MY 400EX ENGINE AND THE SWINGARM BOLT IS BEING DIFICULT. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?:confused:

07-27-2003, 04:16 AM
ur in a big heap of trouble now...i dont know what to do

NTPracing22
07-27-2003, 04:48 AM
don't hit it directly with a metal hammer or anything, you'll damage the threads. my only sudgestion is wd-40, a rubber mallet, and lots of pounding

JD400exrider
07-27-2003, 12:57 PM
Do a search you will find some good info. There is also a good thread in the FAQ section I hope that helps. You may need it.

pnut420
07-28-2003, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by Z400/400ex
I AM IN THE PROCESS OF TAKING OUT MY 400EX ENGINE AND THE SWINGARM BOLT IS BEING DIFICULT. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?:confused:

I got all kinds of suggestions on here and tried them all, the worst thing to do is gett a 5 lb sledge hammer and start beating the hell out of it. I tried that, tried three cans of different antiseize, I finally had to cut thru the bolt, their is one spot where the steel sleeve stops and you can cut the metal, after you do that half the bolt should slide out no problem, on the other end, I had to gring down the head until it was all the way to the frame then I could pop the bolt out the other way I was hitting before, it popped right.

Try doing every trick in the book before you start cutting, cutting it was my last option.

pnut420
07-28-2003, 05:04 AM
Also I got a easy out and spun the bearings with a drill and sprayed some gunk antiseize in their and tons of dirt started to floe out, it fried the bearings, but they were shot anyway.

TeamC&GRacer
07-28-2003, 05:13 AM
you might need two people for this. Try angling the swingarm so there is no much weight on the pivot bolt. Have a friend hold the swignarm in a good spot while u take a "metal pin" and tap at the bolt after it has been loosened. Once its almost out try and take away any weight on the pivolt bolt by lifting the engine and swingarm and the bolt show just slide right out. When putting the bolt back in greese it up

pnut420
07-28-2003, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by TeamC&GRacer
you might need two people for this. Try angling the swingarm so there is no much weight on the pivot bolt. Have a friend hold the swignarm in a good spot while u take a "metal pin" and tap at the bolt after it has been loosened. Once its almost out try and take away any weight on the pivolt bolt by lifting the engine and swingarm and the bolt show just slide right out. When putting the bolt back in greese it up

Yeah I tried this first, so start there, I had two people doing it the whole time, I wiggled the singarm while I turned it with a drill, but it wasnt going anywhere. It sucks but most likely you will have to cut the bolt and then gring down the bolt head on the right side, side the throttle is, once you gind down that head, I took a punch and it popped right out, there is a groove that locks the bolt from sliding out the other end, so it seemed like a had to hit it from that end.

07-28-2003, 05:27 AM
Go ahead and order a new bolt. Thinking you'll reuse the original is a waste of time. I tried a 16 lb sledge, a torch to heat it up, soaked it down with PB blaster for 5 days straight and no luck. A plasma cutter is what finally got mine out....:(

pnut420
07-28-2003, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Go ahead and order a new bolt. Thinking you'll reuse the original is a waste of time. I tried a 16 lb sledge, a torch to heat it up, soaked it down with PB blaster for 5 days straight and no luck. A plasma cutter is what finally got mine out....:(

I spent a week messing with mine, thank god, I heard Rico, say that when you hit it with a sledge, it looks like it is moving, but really it is just your frame seperating. I didnt have to use a plasma cutter, but I could have used one for sure, I just used like three sets of blades for a sawzall and then a few dremel blades to drind with. Good luck, any questions or pictured needed, Ill post some.

brim400ex
07-28-2003, 05:46 AM
When i replaced my pivot bolt, i made it greaseable by welding the threaded side closed. I then threaded the nut side and screwed in a grease zerk. then I drilled small holes in the pivot bolt and collars where the needle bearings are in the swingarm. Save taking out the pivot bolt once a month to grease it, hope I helped.

NTPracing22
07-28-2003, 05:50 AM
i'll keep working on mine, once i recover from my wisdom teeth. i can't work on it much without wanting to knock myself out with the sledge.

the thing is-is that i took the bike appart twice this winter, no problems with the bolt then, i greese it up well when i up it back in too..hmm:confused:

brim400ex
07-28-2003, 05:57 AM
Did you reuse the old pivot bolt? Maybe it had groves worn in it.

07-28-2003, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by brim400ex
When i replaced my pivot bolt, i made it greaseable by welding the threaded side closed. I then threaded the nut side and screwed in a grease zerk. then I drilled small holes in the pivot bolt and collars where the needle bearings are in the swingarm. Save taking out the pivot bolt once a month to grease it, hope I helped.

I did the same.... :cool:

pnut420
07-28-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by NTPracing22
i'll keep working on mine, once i recover from my wisdom teeth. i can't work on it much without wanting to knock myself out with the sledge.

the thing is-is that i took the bike appart twice this winter, no problems with the bolt then, i greese it up well when i up it back in too..hmm:confused:

Sometimes the damn bearings freeze up and the bolt basically welds itself to the bearings, good luck man and dont get impatient, it doesnt help any.

NTPracing22
07-28-2003, 09:52 AM
i got it out-after a can of dw-40 and a lot of pounding, it slid right out. my bearings are siezed/welded to the inside of the swingarm.

brian400ex
07-28-2003, 01:21 PM
Where do you spray the wd-40 at?

NTPracing22
07-28-2003, 02:45 PM
where the bolt had partially come out, and in my dust seals (a few were junk, so the wd-40 could seep in)

pnut420
07-28-2003, 07:53 PM
i got it out-after a can of dw-40 and a lot of pounding, it slid right out. my bearings are siezed/welded to the inside of the swingarm.

Thats the best feeling when you finally get it out, lol. Took me almost two weeks of messing with mine before I got it out.

Also does anyone have pics of the welded in zerk fittings?

NTPracing22
07-29-2003, 01:13 AM
probley, but they can't post them right now anyways;)

pnut420
07-29-2003, 04:44 AM
probley, but they can't post them right now anyways;)

I do have an email address they could send them to. ;)

R-Crazy
07-29-2003, 06:52 AM
heat, anti-sieze, and pounding are my best guesses if you dont want to cuz it out. it must be a 400ex problem tho, cuz my R's bolt is 16 years old and it slid right out when i just took it apart:eek: :ermm: dont gt too frustrated, take your time.

dave

NTPracing22
07-29-2003, 07:00 AM
reason #324 why i like my R

pnut420
07-29-2003, 08:24 AM
reason #324 why i like my R

Dont feel to special plenty of 250r's have had the same problem.

400ex45
07-30-2003, 02:05 AM
when you put bthe swingarm bolt back in grease it ALOT i did that and a year later when i took it out i could pull it out by my hands.

RiPPiNiTuP7
07-30-2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by 400ex45
when you put bthe swingarm bolt back in grease it ALOT i did that and a year later when i took it out i could pull it out by my hands.

thats everyones problem....not enough lube....i use alot as well and i can stick in it, and pull it out with ease:devil:

:huh :huh :huh

NTPracing22
07-30-2003, 05:37 AM
Dont feel to special plenty of 250r's have had the same problem.

plenty of r's have lots of problems. i'm just glad mine didn't have that particular one-i've had my share though

pnut420
07-30-2003, 05:46 AM
plenty of r's have lots of problems. i'm just glad mine didn't have that particular one-i've had my share though

Yeah thats true. Its funny how when one quad has a problem, eveyone tends to dog them, like a few Suzuki frames have been known to crack, but my buddies frame cracked on hid 400ex from a little crash, you just never know.

NTPracing22
07-30-2003, 08:28 AM
yeah thats' true. you also hear alot about suzuki (z400) frames dimond-ing

pnut420
07-30-2003, 08:39 AM
yeah thats' true. you also hear alot about suzuki (z400) frames dimond-ing

Yeah Im not sure if it is true or not, but all quads have their fault. Ive seen nothing but problems with many suzukis in the past, and have had my share on problems with Yamaha, so I tend to lean towards the Ex its proven reliability. :o

brian400ex
07-30-2003, 08:45 AM
I got the nut off the other day, but i couldn't get the bolt to turn. I shattered a Craftmans 17mm socket trying. Should it turn?

pnut420
07-30-2003, 09:14 AM
yeah it shoul turn, wow that means your bearings are froze, keep strying wd-40 or whatever in their, just keep trying.

07-30-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by brian400ex
I got the nut off the other day, but i couldn't get the bolt to turn. I shattered a Craftmans 17mm socket trying. Should it turn?

:eek:

That is badddddddddddddddddd news...:(

It should atleast turn..but it sounds like the spacers have not only seized to the pivot bolt but to the needle bearings in your swingarm...:huh

I'd start lookin at a new pivot bolt, pivot works rebuild kit, and a new swingarm...:scary:

pnut420
07-30-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Rico
:eek:

That is badddddddddddddddddd news...:(

It should atleast turn..but it sounds like the spacers have not only seized to the pivot bolt but to the needle bearings in your swingarm...:huh

I'd start lookin at a new pivot bolt, pivot works rebuild kit, and a new swingarm...:scary:

Yep, I just bought a swingarm on here for $85, figured it was easier than having new bearings put in, pressed, etc... Plus I beat mine up pretty god getting it off.

If you need any pics of how I got mine off, I will send you a link to my pics, I just need the email address.

But what I did was cut the bolt in half first off, their is a spot where the steel sleeve stops, cut through the cast iron or metal or whatever, try to spinf the bolt that is on the right side, if it is still seized than you are in for it. I would then dring doen the bolt head that wouldnt turn until you touch the frame. Then get a punch and a sledge hammer and try to force it out. Spray it with antiseize that stuff helps a ton. Also have another person rock the swingarm back and fourth. Theirs tons a little tricks you will find that will help you get it off. Just takes time and patience.

brian400ex
07-30-2003, 11:56 AM
how can i tell if i need to mess with taking the bolt out? The suspension mooves fine. If its not broken then why fix it?

07-30-2003, 01:40 PM
how can i tell if i need to mess with taking the bolt out? The suspension mooves fine. If its not broken then why fix it?

Well if you can not wiggle the swingarm in the frame then your good to go. Put the quad up on something with the rearend off the ground when you do this. BUT, eventually the bearings will wear out and you have to pull it out. IT'll be just as tough then as it is now so if it's no biggy ride the mofo..

pnut420
07-30-2003, 06:10 PM

I thought you had to get the engine out of there, lol. Just leave it in then. :cool: