PDA

View Full Version : Works Steelers shock locked up solid!

RIDER11X
07-27-2003, 02:44 AM
My front shock locked up solid in the fully extended position tonight. We were just doing some ripping around on a little dirt oval and the shock on the inside of the turns locked up solid!:mad: I got less than 30hrs on these shocks. Hopefully Works will make this right with me and repair it at no charge quickly. We shall see Monday!

Has anyone ever heard of this happening? What causes this?:ermm:

norrisboat
07-27-2003, 05:13 AM
Works is known for being at the bottom of the list.

redrider2004
07-27-2003, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by norrisboat
Works is known for being at the bottom of the list.

whos at the top that has reasonable prices

norrisboat
07-27-2003, 02:28 PM
no one is at the top with reasonable prices. thats why you pay the premium price for premium shocks. Its just like can you find Premium gas for a reasonable price. No. If you want the premium stuff it isnt reasonable.

redrider2004
07-27-2003, 02:35 PM
but are works pretty good cuz i dont have alot of cash

07-27-2003, 03:06 PM
i got them....how bad can they be?

07-27-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by redrider2004
whos at the top that has reasonable prices motowoz:o

Evan400ex
07-27-2003, 06:06 PM
I heard about alot of problems with the steelers. Hope I don't have any problems with my Works. Only have 2 rides on them right now.

Martin Blair
07-27-2003, 06:32 PM
y the hell are atv shcoks so much money, you can completly lift a truck with coil over springs, or airbags on all 4 corners for what 1 set of axis or pepe front shcoks cost, thats bs.

If epople would stop buying there shcoks they would be forced to lower prices, its simple just boycoqute there products and prices will fall, it dont cost pepe or axis even 500 to make there shcoks, is ridiculas.

Evan400ex
07-27-2003, 06:43 PM
Thats why I bought Works because the other brands like Axis, Elka, PEP, etc....are way to much money.

LERaptor660R
07-27-2003, 06:56 PM
You get what you pay for....

RIDER11X
07-27-2003, 07:03 PM
Well an upgrade may be in order for me. This is not good in the middle of the season!:mad: What about Works Pro series, or Stadium shocks?

Martin Blair
07-27-2003, 07:15 PM
y spend the 680 for pro series, get soem tcs from cd for 712 and stadium are the same as steelers.

lil400exman
07-28-2003, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
y spend the 680 for pro series, get soem tcs from cd for 712 and stadium are the same as steelers.
no stadiums are a higher quality shock then steelers man they are fully adjustable shocks but tcs does sound better to me imo;)

BUCK442
07-28-2003, 05:03 AM
If you want the best bang for the buck try the pro series from works. A couple of my bros in the Pro Prod and 250a class both had elkas and pro series and they are both now back to the pro series. They say they work great. But if you want the best, pay the money and get axis. I have ran two different sets of axis on my ex the non adjust, and the comp adjust and they are the only shocks I will ever run. The first pair is only about 825.00 and the second is about 1200. Good Luck.

LTandRaptorider
07-29-2003, 08:54 AM
Rider11x, I have Pro-Series, you see they work pretty good! They did cost about $750-800 though... :eek2: I'll send you an extra credit card application!! :p

RIDER11X
07-29-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
Rider11x, I have Pro-Series, you see they work pretty good! They did cost about $750-800 though... :eek2: I'll send you an extra credit card application!! :p

:) Yea, the Pro Series do ride nice and do excellent on the landings! I was impressed! Those are a necessity to keep the chassis up to speed with that motor. Crazy Honda is still talking about your five foot dry road burnout with no braking!

I talked to a tech at Works, and they want to see what happened to this shock and asked me to send them in. So I did.
He said he never experienced that paticular problem, but he is wanting to check to see if it is their fault or just a breakage. There was a minor leak at the valve stem at the top of the shock that seemed to be oil, so I will see what they find. The customer service so far has been great, and I hope it continues this way. I'll keep ya posted.;)

250rmike
07-31-2003, 12:08 PM
instead of getting whole new shocks just get jeff or marty to rebuild them with elka ssd?

RIDER11X
07-31-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by 250rmike
instead of getting whole new shocks just get jeff or marty to rebuild them with elka ssd?

Can they do that?:eek:

Martin Blair
07-31-2003, 07:31 PM
talk to works if its there flaut see if you can get some proseries from them for free :devil:

BigThumper33
08-01-2003, 06:33 AM
Its all about shock setup.

I raced against a friend of mine last night, who says he likes his works shocks that were redone by Desiri in Cali over his PEP shocks.... kinda odd? ain't it?;)

LTandRaptorider
08-01-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
talk to works if its there flaut see if you can get some proseries from them for free :devil:

Rider11x, if you can get them to do that, you'll be doing all the arguing for me from now on!! ;) By the way, check out Elka's web site. I forgot to tell you, they have prices for rebuilding shocks to their SSD's. www.elkasuspension.com Just trying to help you spend your money!! :D

By the way again, SSD's are not to be confused with SBD's that Crazy Honda likes to let out... :eek2:

RIDER11X
08-01-2003, 05:48 PM
Rider11x, if you can get them to do that, you'll be doing all the arguing for me from now on!! ;)
By the way again, SSD's are not to be confused with SBD's that Crazy Honda likes to let out... :eek2:

My services aren't free, baby needs puppy chow you know!:devil:

And yea, I am aware of the SBD's from Crazy, there are two reasons I'm always in front of him.
1. SBD's
2. Slow moving traffic bores me.:devil:

LTandRaptorider
08-01-2003, 05:56 PM
I'm going to start sneaking some snacks to the baby! :devil:
Let me know when you hear something from Works. They can probably upgrade yours for less than sending them to Elka...

I was going to remind Crazy Honda that my Raptor will go out the door for $4500, but I do believe it's waaay too much machine for him to handle! He better stick with his go-cart... ;) Besides, as I was cleaning the LT the other night, I believe I saw a tear drop to the floor from the Raptor at the prospect of leaving my loving care. either that or I have a coolant leak... :eek2:

RIDER11X
08-01-2003, 06:00 PM
Wait till you see the LT pee on the floor when you try a Honda and bring a CRF home!:devil:

LTandRaptorider
08-01-2003, 06:03 PM
No way, the LT will still be king of the hill. :D

The rider on the other hand... :(

RIDER11X
08-01-2003, 06:06 PM
Don't worry, I'll take it out on weekends for ya, to let it stretch it's legs!:D Both of them!;)

RIDER11X
08-01-2003, 06:45 PM
Ok, back on topic: If I do upgrades, are the Stadium Series like SSD's?

250rmike
08-02-2003, 03:41 AM
yes

Live2Ride300
08-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by BigThumper33
Its all about shock setup.

I raced against a friend of mine last night, who says he likes his works shocks that were redone by Desiri in Cali over his PEP shocks.... kinda odd? ain't it?;)

I was just gonna say something about that, I know a guy that likes his derisi modified works shocks better then his 800 dollar elkas. I think its called the Pro millenium mod.

http://derisiracing.com/atv/atvindex.htm

RIDER11X
08-06-2003, 06:22 AM
Just got off of the phone with the Works technician and so far I am pleased. They said that the shock that locked up had the rebound flapper jam the check ball. This is a rare occurance as the flapper is a oil bypass for a really fast shock operation that should not have jammed and in some shocks it never gets used. They apologized for the problem and said they will fix the problem and take steps to make sure that it doesn't hapen again.
I am adding rezzys to them but no compression adjustment as it was $193 each shock for that. :eek: The tech was very informative and helped in making some other changes on them. We shall see how they turn out.:)

300exOH
08-06-2003, 07:41 AM
Glad to hear things are working out. I just bought a set of works this spring and I was a little worried when I read your post. I talked to Sandy at works when I got mine and he was really helpful. So far I've been really happy with mine. Let us know how they work when you get them back.

RIDER11X
08-06-2003, 05:33 PM
Ok, a little more news. They did the repairs at their cost. I'm paying for the rezzys only! Good deal! :)

I really am pleased with the service and attention that my problem was given, ad I will not hesitate to purchase a rear shock from them in the future.

I guess some people don't believe they got a quality product unless it costs them dearly. My experience with Works Performance has been very positive and I highly recomend them to anyone.

08-06-2003, 06:48 PM
i would never buy a $500 rear shock when they stock shock revalved & rebuilt will be just as good for half the price.

LTandRaptorider
08-06-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
i would never buy a $500 rear shock when they stock shock revalved & rebuilt will be just as good for half the price.

Where can you get a $500 rear shock??!! :eek2: :eek2: I'd jump on that deal... :p

RIDER11X
08-07-2003, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan

Yea, but look at it this way. If you break something or need a rebuild, you always got a spare. I plan to keep my 400 for a long time, so a spare part to keep me riding / racing is a good thing. ;)

Now if I was able to find an OEM rear shock for sale cheap, then yes that would be the one that I would send out to Works for the upgrade.:cool:

Bean
08-07-2003, 04:56 AM
a rebuilt part probably wont be as good as a brand new one set up for yourself

phatswinn
08-07-2003, 06:14 AM
sendem to santos derisi from what i hear, he will make them perform like tcs but at the price of works stadiums

LTandRaptorider
08-07-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
Yea, but look at it this way. If you break something or need a rebuild, you always got a spare. I plan to keep my 400 for a long time, so a spare part to keep me riding / racing is a good thing. ;)

Now if I was able to find an OEM rear shock for sale cheap, then yes that would be the one that I would send out to Works for the upgrade.:cool:

Did you say riding AND racing??!! :eek2:

Rip_Tear
08-07-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by RIDER11X

Thats what I want to do! I want to find a real cheap one, buy it and get it rebuilt, and keep my stocker for back up, and eventually get it rebuilt too :D

Its always good to have atleast 1 set of spares! I am just going to get new fronts and keep the old ones for just incase, besides then you have a pair of shocks when you send the others to get rebuilt etc :D

Glad to hear works looked after you!

RIDER11X
08-07-2003, 12:17 PM
Did you say riding AND racing??!! :eek2: Yes I did!:D What's the matter, does me saying that give you flashbacks of last month's Pro Class final standings? :devil: