PDA

View Full Version : Why A Chain ?

roostfrom250ex
01-20-2002, 08:22 AM
On almost all of the sport and performance quads, a chain and sprockets is the method of power transfer.

Is this better than shaft drive?

It seems that a chain is maintence hungry, constantly runs in dirt therefore virtually grinding itself up, not well protected from damage, and needs replaced often.

I know shaft drive weighs a little more and is not flexible at gearing changes, but with already good ratios, shaft drive has less cons than chain.

As far as i know, bikes and quads are the only motorsports machines that still use chain drive.

What do you think is better?

01-20-2002, 08:45 AM
I think that the reason they use chain rather than shaft is because of the weight and alot ezer to fix...

400exBro
01-20-2002, 10:11 AM
Money that is the issue, they try to keep at simple and at the least cost as possible. Also weight is a big factor with the sport quads , with the 250ex the engine is mounted swideways to produce most power it can, where if it where like the 250r,300,400 it would lose power becaue of the 90 degree angle.
with the straight shaft it wouldn't lose power throught the angle, because the one shaft would spin faster than the one going to the rear wheeles
don't qoute me on this but this is what i was tought.
hope i helped
400exBro

roostfrom250ex
01-20-2002, 10:29 AM
I never held a clump of shaft drive in one hand and a clump of chain and sprockets in the other, but the shaft looks like it weighs more.

But get this. The 250 e has all of the other parts that the other quads have (except liquid temp. control, but the 400 e don't either), and it weighs 350 pounds.

Maby they skimped on everything else to get it.

hangman
01-20-2002, 11:54 AM
I have heard that the chain drive is more efficient at getting power to the ground, but that may just be because of the weight difference. The chain is much cheaper to replace but does require a lot more maintenance. Also, the sprockets allow for easy gearing changes.

NJ300ex
01-20-2002, 05:15 PM
They use a chain and sprockets over a shaft drive because you need to be able to change gearing and with a shaft drive you cant change swingarm length or put on a new swingarm.

"BLAHH"300!!
01-20-2002, 06:29 PM
:blah

400exRacerX
01-20-2002, 06:41 PM
The reason why the 250ex motor is mounted sideways is because it has a push-rod style cam and with the motor being sideways you can't use a chain.