PDA

View Full Version : problem with thimb stayin on throttle?

crashinmatt
07-26-2003, 02:21 PM
i keep havin a problem with my thumb stayin on the thumb throttle when i race. i hit a bump, and my thumb slips off the throttle. last weekend i had one wreck and a couple close calls cuz of this. i end up comin short and nose divin in the face of landins. has anyone else ever have this problem? if so what did u do? oh yeah, i used to ride and race with a twist throttle, and well think i may have to go back to it, but i would really like to stick with the thumb.

LTandRaptorider
07-26-2003, 06:06 PM
James Lucky, Dennis Kirk, and probably many other distributors sell a thumb throttle extender. It clamps on to your existing thumb throttle. I haven't tried one yet, but I'm thinking of getting one. I can't think of who the manufacturer is; but they make a complete thumb throttle assembly with a longer thumb lever for honda quads. jlatvproducts.com-James Lucky.

stocktires
07-27-2003, 07:16 AM
maybe new gloves?
Somehow you need to make your thumb stock more, mine does this rarely.
you could put adhesive promoter on you throttle (just a thought), or get a new rubber boot if yours is worn

Rip_Tear
07-27-2003, 11:04 AM
I'd suggest getting some rubber on the thumb of your glove, even something like cocking(sp) would work :D good luck!

dirtriderex
07-27-2003, 02:23 PM
You need a extender or a stonger grip, becase if all your fingers are planted on the handle bar besides your thumb, your thumb really can't move much. just

crashinmatt
07-27-2003, 02:36 PM
thanks for the responses so far. a buddy of mine told me to turn my housin so that the lever is angled up more. think this would work also?

dirtriderex
07-27-2003, 03:59 PM
Yeah that would help alot, I had the same problem when I crashed and it turned out the thumb throttle was just bent.

Meek
08-05-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by crashinmatt
thanks for the responses so far. a buddy of mine told me to turn my housin so that the lever is angled up more. think this would work also?

I know a lot of people that have done that for XC racing.

batgeek
08-05-2003, 08:07 PM
yes! turn the housing...thumb throttle extenders can be scary. there is more area for your thumb/wrist to push down on if things get hairy which will mash your throttle. that isn't good.

310Rduner
08-05-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by batgeek
yes! turn the housing...thumb throttle extenders can be scary. there is more area for your thumb/wrist to push down on if things get hairy which will mash your throttle. that isn't good.

I am against the throttle extenders for the same reason. Everytime i hop on my mom's 300 while she is riding my R i keep hitting it with my palm. Also the extender is so awkward that I keep hitting my knuckles with it when I bring it to half throttle or more.

I would deffinately turn your throttle housing. I have ALL my levers set slightly down because i am standing up most of the time. When i stand up i have my knuckles turned down slightly for a better grip on the bars, and if i dont adjust them it is less than comfortable because of the angle it puts my wrist when trying to grab the controls.

Bean
08-07-2003, 05:01 AM
change the angle of your throttle, i have all my levers pointed downward, and the thumb up, so when i stand up, it feels just perfect, btw i personally dont run a rubber boot on my throttle, i didnt like them

JabberJaw
08-07-2003, 05:03 AM
Drive a nail thru your thumb and throttle and bend it over just before the race!

LTandRaptorider
08-07-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by JabberJaw
Drive a nail thru your thumb and throttle and bend it over just before the race!

Gives a whole new meaning to telling someone to nail it!! :eek2:

joedirt
08-07-2003, 12:57 PM
KRAZY GLUE

dirtmomma
08-07-2003, 01:04 PM
Yeah I go w/ turning your throttle lever up also thats what I have to do, my son got soooo sick of me adjusting the throttle on the blaster when we both raced that LOL but now he has a twist. I thought about a twist but I feel in better control w/ a thumb. Good luck!!!

d34motoracer
08-08-2003, 11:08 AM
little trick i did...theres a black tab on the body of the throttle its self..right after the grip ends...cut that black piece off..in return slide it more towards your grip ...it will give you about another 3/4 of an inch towards your hand...joe

JabberJaw
08-08-2003, 12:05 PM
You could also put a booger on your thumb!

RIDER11X
08-08-2003, 12:22 PM
Does your thumd slide under the throttle, or off the tip of the throttle?:confused2

LTandRaptorider
08-08-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
Does your thumd slide under the throttle, or off the tip of the throttle?:confused2

I usually slide it over the tip, then under it... Oh, wrong site... :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

LTandRaptorider
08-08-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by JabberJaw
You could also put a booger on your thumb!

That's snot nice!! :D :D

capecod400ex
08-09-2003, 01:59 PM
twist throtel?

Smokey
08-11-2003, 03:07 PM
We wrap the thumb throttle with some cloth sports tape for alot of XC's . It lets you get better grip , we even put a littile on the levers if its going to be real muddy . You can pick the stuff up at any sports shop for like $2 , just make sure it is the cloth type . As for whats best twist or thumb ...everyone likes something differant and you have to find what works best for you and give you the best control and thats what its all about

Chanman420q
08-11-2003, 03:23 PM
mine is tilted up a little bit and i still slip off sometimes when hitting jumps. if i tilt it any higher ill be pushing down and not forward:eek:

dirtmomma
08-12-2003, 07:49 AM
WEll after my riding this weekend on some pretty bumpy trails I had a hella time w/ my throttle:rolleyes: I'm trying to decide if I should put a twist on but then again I don't want to yank on the throttle when I land a jump or go over whoops!! Guess I just need to work out more:o I'M A SISSY!!! I ADMIT IT!!!! LOL