PDA

View Full Version : Clearing jumps.

DEAL
07-26-2003, 10:51 AM
Well, I haven't done any major jumping this year so I went out to a pit I always ride at (its also got a track there too) and I tried to hit a double, which I have hit many times before. But this year they built it up so you have less room for error on the landing.
Well I come out of the berm in 3rd and pin it and my quad bogs under load. and by the time it starts to pick back up I'm already half way up the face of the jump.
I'm coming up short roughly about 6 inches, just enough for my rear wheels to catch the tip of the landing and chuck me around.
I tried about 3 times without success.
Any tips?
I tried clutching it out of the berm but it doesn't help awhole lot.

07-26-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by DEAL
Well, I haven't done any major jumping this year so I went out to a pit I always ride at (its also got a track there too) and I tried to hit a double, which I have hit many times before. But this year they built it up so you have less room for error on the landing.
Well I come out of the berm in 3rd and pin it and my quad bogs under load. and by the time it starts to pick back up I'm already half way up the face of the jump.
I'm coming up short roughly about 6 inches, just enough for my rear wheels to catch the tip of the landing and chuck me around.
I tried about 3 times without success.
Any tips?
I tried clutching it out of the berm but it doesn't help awhole lot.

change gearing, get more engine mods, smaller tires.

Todd
07-26-2003, 04:33 PM
Sounds like your quad is a little rich if it bogs under load . check your plug . It could be lean too if your not sure have someone look at it that knows. Coming up short on a double aint fun but i guess you already figured that out. Check it out before you try it again cause your quad or YOU could get banged up pretty bad.
good luck , Todd

4wheelboy
07-27-2003, 03:19 PM
come ripping around the berm in second an power shift up to third:confused: :devil:

Nausty
07-27-2003, 03:25 PM
take your choke out and go maybe go a little bit leaner on the needle or mainjet, also do you know how to preload good or do you just lean back and hold the gas? How bout seat bouncing? If its right out of a corner you might be better just not even preloading and just sit down and hold it pinned and maybe just preload a little bit. You really gotta know what your doing when you do that though but it could help a lot depending on what the jump is like.

DEAL
07-27-2003, 03:51 PM
I might try second but I don't think its going to be enough. Its not the jetting. It just doesn't like to be lugged much. I think a pipe will help alot.

07-27-2003, 04:09 PM
preload

jmoney45
07-28-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by freeride132
preload

Derek
07-28-2003, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by 4wheelboy
come ripping around the berm in second an power shift up to third:confused: :devil:

440BEAST
07-28-2003, 07:59 AM
HOW DO YOU PRELOAD?????

Derek
07-28-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by 440BEAST
HOW DO YOU PRELOAD?????

Its when you push your quad down on the face of a jump causing your shocks to compress and give you a lil more in the air.

440BEAST
07-28-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Derek
Its when you push your quad down on the face of a jump causing your shocks to compress and give you a lil more in the air.

so you just kinda jumpdown on it right before you take off from the lip???

thanks for the info i will have to try that next time

Derek
07-28-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by 440BEAST
so you just kinda jumpdown on it right before you take off from the lip???

thanks for the info i will have to try that next time

yes but i highly recommand you practice first on a small jump. If you dont know exactly what your doing it can throw you funny.

Chanman420q
07-28-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Derek
yes but i highly recommand you practice first on a small jump. If you dont know exactly what your doing it can throw you funny.

lol yup......

when i first tried preloading i was like pushing down with my knees and my wrists, well i jerked my legs funny by accident ( muscle spassime (sp) :huh: i think ) and the back end went to the left and i swear i like did like a 90 degree turn, so im basicly facing the Right side now and i fell off the table when i landed........ i was okay but it scared me outa jumpin for the rest of the day :eek:

hondarider27
08-10-2003, 06:53 PM
if you can take or make a trail that you can hit it better. or just take the corner as fast as you could, do it until you get scared.

optikid123
08-11-2003, 12:28 PM
yeah take the corner faster, go wider or just hit it pinned in second

cain73
08-18-2003, 06:19 PM
I am new and need help in the jump department. I get 4-5 feet of air and 15-20 feet distance, but want overall info on how (best way) to jump. sometimes the back tires come up high (not good) and I con't know if it's how I am leaning or if it's how I am throttling. I noticed that I usually let off then goose the throttle right at the jump - is this right or is there a better way? I want to FLY ! we have a small flat ramp and I want to build up to doubles over time. someone please jot down the anatomy of a jump and how to land the best way (controlling the atv to do what you want)
And how should I go about moving up to a double (even a small one to start) ? our ramp now we just land flat. Thanks for any help.

Nausty
08-18-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by cain73
I am new and need help in the jump department. I get 4-5 feet of air and 15-20 feet distance, but want overall info on how (best way) to jump. sometimes the back tires come up high (not good) and I con't know if it's how I am leaning or if it's how I am throttling. I noticed that I usually let off then goose the throttle right at the jump - is this right or is there a better way? I want to FLY ! we have a small flat ramp and I want to build up to doubles over time. someone please jot down the anatomy of a jump and how to land the best way (controlling the atv to do what you want)
And how should I go about moving up to a double (even a small one to start) ? our ramp now we just land flat. Thanks for any help.

We can't really tell you over the internet, its just one of those things you gotta practice at and get better. Try new things and try to ride with people that are better than you.