PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting stock rear 400ex shock

nakomis0
07-26-2003, 07:20 AM
You can adjust the rebound and comp on the stock 400ex shock? I thought i just read that in another post. I see the 2 large nuts... ok no comments about large nuts... right above the spring.. and i assume thats for adjusting compression.

Is there another adjustment and where?

07-26-2003, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by nakomis0
You can adjust the rebound and comp on the stock 400ex shock? I thought i just read that in another post. I see the 2 large nuts... ok no comments about large nuts... right above the spring.. and i assume thats for adjusting compression.

Is there another adjustment and where?

On the rear shock there are 3 adjustments. Preload, compression and rebound. The 2 big nuts are for the preload. The bottom nut adjusts the preload and the one on top of it is just a jamnut to keep it in place.

There is also a compression adjustment on the top of the shock on the shifter side.

Last is the rebound adjustment on the bottom of the shock also on the shifter side.

The compression and rebound adjustments are little dials you adjust with a flat head screwdriver.

nakomis0
07-26-2003, 07:38 AM
hey thanks, I had no clue our stock shocks was that bad arse.

Natertot426ex
07-26-2003, 07:54 AM
Ya what QUAD said

I tryed adjusting my rear shock from brand new and it didn't have any effect when I did. O I sent off to TCS now I can feel the adjustments.

nakomis0
07-26-2003, 08:59 AM
oh ya i guess i should ask.. to increase compression, i wanna turn the screw to the right? (clockwise)

07-26-2003, 09:07 AM
hey thanks, I had no clue our stock shocks was that bad arse.

Yes the stock 400ex rear shock is great. When revalved it can perform the same as a full aftermarket shock.

oh ya i guess i should ask.. to increase compression, i wanna turn the screw to the right? (clockwise)

Yes on the compression clockwise makes it stiffer and counterclockwise makes it softer. On the rebound be careful bc clockwise slows it down and counterclockwise speeds it up.