PDA

View Full Version : Got the frame from suzuki finally.....!

ZRider400
07-25-2003, 09:36 AM
I m ready to put the thing together, but there is no vin number on the replacement frame, so can i just weld the old one on?? i dont know what to do..... the old one is just a plate with the vin on it, thats tack welded in the corners........i already removed it.... so it should be easy to put on the new frame, but is that illegal?

tprender
07-25-2003, 10:24 AM
If you have the title for the old frame and the bill of sale for the new frame you might call up you state police and ask them. I did something like that when I built a dunebuggy and they gave me a new serial number. It might be a hassle to have done, but you will then have a good title and it will be easier to sell down the road later. Or if you get pulled over some time and the police decide to run the frame number.

K_Fulk
07-25-2003, 10:49 AM
If you can put it on with out the government involved do it. You shouldn't have any problems as long as it looks stock. Its not like its a car with 3 or 4 vin numbers on it.

CoorsMan
07-25-2003, 11:35 AM
I think there is a VIN number stamped on the frame also. At least on the 400 there is. So I would call up DMV and ask them.

Six Six Six
07-25-2003, 12:04 PM
put it on there, i wouldn't bother with the DMV its gonna be a huge pain in the arse

DEAL
07-25-2003, 12:13 PM
Just rivet it on.

Rip_Tear
07-25-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by DEAL
Just rivet it on.
good idea, but rivets are easy to pull out (for stealing...)

ZRider400
07-25-2003, 02:21 PM
ok thanks for the help... i think i'll just weld the old one on, i already removed it.......its just a rectangle plate with welds on each corner, very easy to remove.

at the dealership they said they could stamp the vin number into the new plate, for 45 an hour...:ermm:

i would rather save the $$ and just weld it on .

CoorsMan
07-25-2003, 04:42 PM
Heck, u can go buy a cheap number/letter stamps and stamp it yourself. I think Harbor freight or Sears carries Stamps.

Coorsman

nakomis0
07-26-2003, 06:12 AM
Yup either weld it on, or stamp it on the new frame. I had the same story with my frame. I was gonna weld it but, I already had the frame PC'd and i didnt want the hassle and extra mess so I just stamped it on.

Just keep your title and bill of sale for the new frame. You dont have to check with the DMV or anything.

Oh ya i didnt actually stamp min. i guess its etched.

ZRider400
07-26-2003, 11:09 AM
ok well i welded it on..........now im putting the quad back together.