PDA

View Full Version : Finally rode a Raptor

SGA
01-19-2002, 08:27 PM
Rode a raptor today. There were two of them where we ride. 1st one was lowered & widened, intake mods, full exhaust system and jet kit, blazing fast. The second was bone stock. The guy on the modded one rode my 400EX while i rode his. We dropped the hammer pretty good on them, dragging, whoops, jumps, trails, etc. I really liked the power of his & it rode pretty good too. He liked the handling of the 400. All in all I think its personal preference. The raptor with mods is screaming fast, no doubt. But I think i'll take the handling & balance of the four hundred over it. Next to ride- a cannondale, soon I hope.

Scott
01-19-2002, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback sgaexer. It's kinda nice to read something other than "my 400 is awesome and his raptor sucks @$$." Having not ridden one, I'm curious to see how much low end grunt they have, since it's a 660 single cylinder. I would expect it to have gobs of bottom end, but that's not what I've heard.

400exJOE
01-21-2002, 06:20 PM
raptors have and extremely restrictive exhaust system. With a full exhaust (depending on company), you can increase your power from around 38hp to nearly 48! Thats big gain. After all, a 660 should be making more than 36-38hp.

Ham Sandwich
01-21-2002, 07:10 PM
10 hp on a 4 stroke from just a pipe? horsepower is a lot easier to write down than to dyno up!

Scott
01-22-2002, 06:08 AM
I'm with you on that one Ham Sandwich. Sounds like a pipe dream to me...

I'm sure you can get some nice gains, but not a gain of 25% of the factory hp just by changing the exhaust.

01TRX300EX
01-22-2002, 02:50 PM
I think it was either ATV Action or dirt wheels that did the Raptor Pipe shootout, and the pipe that got the most power got about 13 or so horsepower if I remember correctly.

01-22-2002, 06:58 PM
i wouldnt believe everything i read. its hard for me to believe a 13 hp gain just from an exhaust on a stock motor. maybe if there was some major motor work done but 13 is alot of power just from a pipe. thats more than what most people get out of a 440 kit

Guy400
01-22-2002, 07:14 PM
The 13hp claims made by JunkWheels has only been accomplished by them, no one else. But, the Raptor motor is extremely corked and does get higher percentage gains when filter/exhaust mods are performed than on the EX. That fact has been proven on dyno's.

PhResTyL28
01-26-2002, 08:34 PM
the ct sonic pipe added about 13hp. that is an unbeleivable amount but it has to be true. it wasnt just apipe either, head pipe+silencer+k&n airfilter+reccomended jetting specs.

Ham Sandwich
01-27-2002, 05:55 AM
i personally think CT kicked some loot to hi torque pubs, in the Jan 2002 issue of atv sport page 11 they had a little mini article about the ct pipe and very hard to swallow horsepower gains. If it's true it should be mandatory for every raptor owner to go out and get this pipe. But in my eyes i think it's slick marketing for the pipe and a nice kick back for the rag publishers.Cmon a 14.4 hp gain from an air filter and a pipe on a 4 stroke!:(

01TRX300EX
01-27-2002, 12:14 PM
I got to ride a Raptor yesterday, for about 5 minutes, I can't give a good review because I only got up to about 3rd gear, and did only small jumps. Not to mention the tires were blad on it, but that made for some good sliding. Well suffice to say, I loved the thing just in the little time I rode it, I never quite got used to the throttle response, mostly because I had just got done riding my brothers 250EX. The suspension was a little stiff, but the guy told me that he had done that because he kept bottoming out. And th ergonomics were a little weird at first, but I got used to it. Hopefully they will let me ride it again when they get new tires on it.

stevengates45
02-01-2002, 11:02 PM
i think raptors are geared too high. another thing, everybody is always talkin about how raptors can smoke banshees & everything, but i just dont see this happening because everytime Ive been on a banshee & raced a raptor or been on a raptor & raced a banshee the banshee always came out on top.

Guy400
02-02-2002, 04:23 AM
In my own personal experience the Raptor is faster through the first 4 gears. My bike totally stock can get the launch and stay on top of a T-5'd Shee right as I shift into 5th. Almost as soon as I grab 5th gear my buddy pulls even with me and I'm out of gear but he goes to 6th and walks away.

stevengates45
02-02-2002, 03:50 PM
Now that i think of it though, when i raced the raptors, all the banshees I was on had either T'5s or CPIs, jetted with the k&n air filters that hook up to the carb. so i guess that the shee should win