PDA

View Full Version : Rules of Thumb for Quads

Doibugu2
07-25-2003, 03:52 AM
Guys, lets give some good ideas that everyone has for all the new members we have been getting lately.

If you can get a good thread going, like Pappy's shock thread, I think we can really help a lot of the newbie's.

I know this site has helped me out tremendously. Don't limit your responses to just hop ups. Any other tips or tricks is good.

My couple of rules.

If you can afford it, the first thing you should change on your quad is suspension. The younger guys may not understand this, but the guys that have it know what I'm talking about. Whether it's works or Axis.

The next thing is learn how to ride, an exhaust is not necessary unless you can keep up with the boys in Hatfield. And Bradley can do it on a 300.

Nerf bars are also nice.

You don't have to take your whole carb off to rejet, there is a bolt that you can unscrew. (I didn't find this out till Hatfield.)

Pappy
07-25-2003, 03:54 AM
remove the swing arm pivot bolt and grease it every month

07-25-2003, 03:59 AM
Buy aluminum handlebars not steel ones....:macho

keep your chain adjusted and oiled on a regular basis..:blah:

FourFiftyFour
07-25-2003, 04:02 AM
PLEASE CLEAN YOUR AIR FILTERS!!!!!!! Ive seen some awful ones here recently.....

I also like changin my handlebars so they fit me just right.

Install a tether kill switch... even if u dont race, but you rip around the trails..... I would even have one for then cuz id rather have my quad next to me when I wreck other than in the canal or planted on a tree...

I also like gettin different tires, the stock ones are like balloons on most quads (especially on that 250X I used to have :blah: )

Loctite is a lifesaver.. enough said about that lol

blasterrider123
07-25-2003, 04:03 AM
tether switches are also nice to have and always check ur oil and gas befor going out riding(thats a common think i think every one knows)

sickmojave
07-25-2003, 04:04 AM
I like to flush and bleed the brakes at least once a year just to keep the fluid clean and water free.

wilkin250r
07-25-2003, 04:09 AM
If your throttle cable feels like it's sticking, don't just lubricate it, replace it. It's probably not a bad idea to replace it every year, they are not that expensive.

If your throttle sticks at wide open, in can put you in serious danger.

Doibugu2
07-25-2003, 04:33 AM
If your clutch cable gets hard to pull, its time to lube it. An easy way is to pull the clutch in and take a can of WD-40 with the red stick thingy and stick it in as far down the cable as possible. And just squirt the crap out of it. Makes a world of difference.

hondafox440
07-25-2003, 04:54 AM
WD40 shouldn't be used as a lube. Use Cable Life or something.

Never spray WD40 on a bearing that sounds like it needs some grease - that will make it worse.

exriderdude
07-25-2003, 05:00 AM
wear a hemet;)

bansheeguy77
07-25-2003, 05:06 AM
yeah shocks could cut more seconds off your lap time than a 440 kit. nerfs and tires are good too. a rear axle will also help tremendously even if you are a woods rider. the main thing is dont cheap out on safety gear. always wear it it could very easily save your life. oh yea kidney belts...best 30 bucks ive ever spent

Doibugu2
07-25-2003, 05:10 AM
Gear, is something everyone should have. Obviously for the safety reasons, (which keep ins costs down for the places we ride) But ever since I bought a set of boots, I will never ride without them again.

250x#93
07-25-2003, 05:13 AM
hmm I can't think of anythin... wait I know, don't tighten ur bolts up to tight on anythin, seems like sometimes u just wanna go that extra little shove, but its best not to:D

250x#93
07-25-2003, 05:15 AM
Oh yeah when u and ur buds are gettin ready to ride and u just happened to change the sparkplug don't forget to put the wire back on:p I know it sounds real simple but damn its pretty embarasing when u kick for 5 minutes and then see it danglin there, not that I have ever done that though;) :devil:

oldsandman
07-25-2003, 05:22 AM
Check all nuts and bolts and visually inspect your quad before riding it. The best way to do this is to keep your ride clean.

exriderdude
07-25-2003, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by oldsandman
Check all nuts and bolts and visually inspect your quad before riding it. The best way to do this is to keep your ride clean.

yea, visually inspect your nuts;) :D

flyin#5
07-25-2003, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by 250x#93
Oh yeah when u and ur buds are gettin ready to ride and u just happened to change the sparkplug don't forget to put the wire back on:p I know it sounds real simple but damn its pretty embarasing when u kick for 5 minutes and then see it danglin there, not that I have ever done that though;) :devil:

been there.... lol. its never good to be in a hurry putting stuff back together.

oh and a good rule of thumb is rubber side down shiney side up:D keep that in mind and youll be just fine.

RiPPiNiTuP7
07-25-2003, 06:15 AM
always fill the gas tank b4 u ride :uhoh: :confused2

Doibugu2
07-25-2003, 06:20 AM
If you want to go synthetic, here is a good thread of what to use:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33716

Pvt. Maggot
07-25-2003, 06:28 AM
don't be afraid to put stuff on your quad thats not made for it :devil: :macho

JabberJaw
07-25-2003, 06:34 AM
Be sure not to ride before you relieve yourself... packs that stuff way back up in there and it aint no fun having a brick banging at your back door!

ex kid
07-25-2003, 07:04 AM
if you need a new part and you know it BUY THE PART. ive seen so many people break things and make little problems worse becasue they didnt buy a 60 cent bolt or gasket. when you buy somthing new to put on the bike READ THE DIRECTIONS. when you get a brand new bike do yourself a favor and break it in right.

400exrules
07-25-2003, 08:24 AM
umm change the oil, and check it frequently

check air pressure in tires before a ride

300exOH
07-25-2003, 08:38 AM
Whatever you do DON'T forget to gas up your wifes ride!!! Trust me.;)

Jeffksf
07-25-2003, 09:20 AM
Don't stop at the swingarm bolt when lubing the suspension do all of it front and back. The factories like to skimp on the grease.

Another good first purchase is a good quality swing arm skid plate (PRM, Armadillo, ProArmor)

Get rid of the useless parking brake.

JessetheKid
07-25-2003, 09:28 AM
on a 2stroke and even a 4stroke if u silencer falls off dont keep on riding it it will not give them motor enought back pressure and there is a GREAT possibially that it will blow i have seen so many riders do this and they regreted doin it :(

monkeyboy
07-25-2003, 09:30 AM
makk sur u gotts a helmit on:macho

Martin Blair
07-25-2003, 09:44 AM
supension first i got a pipe and filter first but i ahve rode bikes with works, pep and elkas and with good shocks you can go much faster.

ex kid
07-25-2003, 09:50 AM
i had somthin else. when you change the oil on a 4 stroke, make sure the drain plug is TIGHT, also check the oil before every ride. and wear ur helmet.

sprtrx300ex
07-25-2003, 10:23 AM
After you wash you quad , dont let it sit. Ride it or use a leaf blower or something to dry off the water. When water sits, it turns to rust. rust is not cool.

400exrules
07-25-2003, 11:04 AM
use your darn clutch :rolleyes:

MOUSE
07-25-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by 400exrules
use your darn clutch :rolleyes:

werd :devil:

MOUSE
07-25-2003, 11:50 AM
also check your throtle most need adjusting to get wot :macho

hessianmx111
07-25-2003, 12:11 PM
Buy some good comfy grips that wont give you blisters

Never let mud sit on your bike for a very long time

Every three airfilter cleanings take some contact cleaner and spray down into your airbox to clean it out.

Safety wire your grips if its wet out or you always ride in muddy wet conditions.

soul
07-25-2003, 12:51 PM
take some spare parts such as spark plugs, fuses for the four strokes, oil, tools, and lets not forget the gear and always double check everything before you leave...and for the young riders, ride with in your limits

Rip_Tear
07-25-2003, 02:33 PM
Get a service manual!

Take the time to take your whole quad apart (make sure you have a manual so it gets done properly!)

Keep everything lubed! Don't just let things go!

Get skid plates!

Keep your brakes (lines, pads etc) in good working order!

Stick to what your comfortable with, don't be presured!

and Good luck!

250x#93
07-25-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Pvt. Maggot
don't be afraid to put stuff on your quad thats not made for it :devil: :macho

Yeah thats true, but why is urs outta commision did it blow up? just curious:confused:

250x#93
07-25-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by JabberJaw
Be sure not to ride before you relieve yourself... packs that stuff way back up in there and it aint no fun having a brick banging at your back door!

lmgdmfao :p

250x#93
07-25-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by ex kid
i had somthin else. when you change the oil on a 4 stroke, make sure the drain plug is TIGHT, also check the oil before every ride. and wear ur helmet.

Word of advice, don't make ur drain plug too tight:devil: Its not very good:eek2:

250x#93
07-25-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by soul
take some spare parts such as spark plugs, fuses for the four strokes, oil, tools, and lets not forget the gear and always double check everything before you leave...and for the young riders, ride with in your limits

i never saw any fuses on mine:eek2: wheres they at, I guess I'm dumb haha

KASCHAK
07-25-2003, 04:20 PM
if there are wires look close theres a fuse somewere. and its a honda so they give you an extra one usullly.
clean it often check before every ride that everthing is not broken. check tirepressure. gas. umm....

make sure you have a phone if your riding alone and make sure someone knows where your going to be if your alone. try to ride with a buddy

JOEX
07-25-2003, 04:34 PM
Change your oil AND filter often.... it's the bests 10 bucks ever spent. I change mine before and after every long weekend ride.

Joe

KASCHAK
07-25-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Change your oil AND filter often.... it's the bests 10 bucks ever spent. I change mine before and after every long weekend ride.

Joe

werd always felt like saying that sorry :ermm:

SGA
07-25-2003, 04:51 PM
Dont be pressured into riding, jumping or climbing somthing thats over your experience level.

D-4our
07-25-2003, 05:04 PM
do NOT try anything crazy if your tired or hungy and never say your gonna do something "one more time," ive seen too many people jynx themselves and crash when they say they're gonna do something "one more time."

nakomis0
07-25-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by JabberJaw

Bwaaha... bangin at ur back door?

Always start ur bike and let it warm up before removing the drain plug and chainging ur oil

blasterrider123
07-25-2003, 05:28 PM
ride within your limits. dont do any thing taht you think is gonna be too ahrd. always try to ride with a buddie. make sure some one knows were u are if you ride alone. always check every thing on your quad b4 you go riding. always were ur helmet,gloves,and eye protection. and you should always have your lights on taht way if your riding in a sand pit or trails people can see you. o ya and get your quad registerd lol

stupid driver
07-25-2003, 06:00 PM
buy some type of insurance. Some creeps dont mind stealing something that means so much to you. It could really come in handy;)

hondafox440
07-25-2003, 06:16 PM
When you wash it, make sure you remove the air filter and install an airfilter cover, and pressure wash the airbox. Twin Air makes covers for virtually all bikes, or you can make one with little effort.

Always use a silencer plug when washing.

Never start your bike immediately after washing to "try the exhuast out". What you're really doing is sucking water from the air filter (assuming you didn't use a cover, if you did disregard this statement) into the engine and damaging it.

Torque things to factory specs. There are reasons behind the torque settings, so follow them.

Never try to fix bent handlebars. If you bend them, replace them. Heating them and rebending them only severly weakens them. I have witnessed a very rough crash due to "fixed" bars..

Maintain it like you own it.

K2Snow
07-25-2003, 06:58 PM
If it's a brand new bike, change oil and filter after first couple hours of riding. Make sure you turn the choke off before you go riding, I always screwed that up and got pissed when the bike would bog out when I gave it more gas.

CEET400ex
07-26-2003, 09:23 AM
never tighten your oil ressy drain bolt too tight...i made this mistake and the whole bolt housing snapped off the oil ressy...end result....not riding for a while until i got it re aluminum welded:( (hint hint: never use jb weld as a quick fix...doesnt hold)

modracer5
07-26-2003, 03:45 PM
before all the mods on the bike buy safety gear.... all that you can.... remember
" dress for the wreck...not the ride"

muff
07-26-2003, 05:33 PM
check your tire pressure, adjust/check/lube your chain before every ride and replace the chain when worn (replacing damaged cases is not fun, its happened twice to me)

if your clutch gets stiff buy a new cable, it makes the world of difference

keep the quad clean and save money whenever you can because you will end up buying that better part or somethin might go wrong

riding with a buddie or group is great, however make sure you all go in a line (follow the leader) so no head on accidents occur

shocks make the world of difference unless you just plan on drag racing

get a manuel and find out how things you didnt know, this way you can save yourself from some serious $$ from paying the honda shop to do all the work for you

dont get steel handlebars, nerf bars and a tether are great items to get even if trail riding (nerfs will keep you from getting snagged on trees)

i will prolly think of more later

and oh yea, have fun, thats why you have a quad in the first place

250rAL
07-27-2003, 06:12 AM
Get high quality tie-downs and USE THEM CORRECTLY. Put four per machine pointing four different directions. Too many people just use two stretching forward to hold their machine in the back of a pickup. In an accident, their machine will be launching over their head onto the pavement.

Narly R
07-27-2003, 06:23 AM
Well im lazy and dint read everything everyone put, so if this is already put then forgive me!

When I ride I check oil (ki know thats been said) and my chain cause you DONT want that to come off before a bid jump!:confused2 And i chech my bolts to see if there tight!

But the most important thing in buying a quad (a little off subject) but what will suit you best, not a banshee cause there "cool" or a 400ex cause you like red, i HATE it when people go out a buy the newest and best bike and then talk crap, so DONT be one of those people, but to ANY quad owner be cool, dont give us a bad reputation, and be safe, dont be stupid, but bust out, but stay under control!:) :ermm:

-=Skot=-
07-27-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by SGA
Dont be pressured into riding, jumping or climbing somthing thats over your experience level. show off's, stupidity, and peer presure can get you hurt or killed

JOEX
07-27-2003, 05:46 PM
Make sure your lug nuts are torqued down!:o

Joe

2001400ex
07-27-2003, 07:14 PM
Defenitely don't over-tighten your drain plug, the idiot that had the quad before me put it on way too tight, and I broke the weld, now I have to re-weld it or buy a new oil-tank...god I hate stupid people...and make sure you have the right tools, makes the job alot quicker and easier.

JabberJaw
07-28-2003, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by nakomis0
Bwaaha... bangin at ur back door?

Yeah, you know..."Prairie Dog'n It!".

bigbadbrad
07-28-2003, 08:47 AM
dont put armor all on the seat, it may look good but you wont stay on the seat for long

after you are done washing you quad spray the whole thing with wd-40, the fenders too, it will keep the mud from sticking, and will make it look better, and it will protect it from rust also

and use castrol super clean to make your quad look new

and for a 300ex, dont get just a slip on, get a header too

JabberJaw
07-28-2003, 09:41 AM
The only time you use your seat is when you are stopped!

David
09-04-2003, 01:16 PM
Always check your oil before you ride!

balla250ex
09-04-2003, 01:34 PM
Check oil when you ride.

Check gas when you ride.

Make sure your throttle does'nt stick.

WEAR A HELMET AND GOGGLES!!!!!! I learned a valuable lesson a couple of years ago b/c I did'nt have my goggles on...Good thing I had my helmet on, less I would'nt typing this post right now.

free_rider20
09-04-2003, 01:47 PM
One thing everyone should know- If you run out of gas or it dies, check to make sure no-one turned your gas off. I did this to a friend once before we went hunting, and I had forgot about it when we went to leave the woods and drove off. When I got down the road and remembered I went back and he had pushed it through the snow a good 300 yards. (luckilly my dial is missin and it cant be changed without pliers)