PDA

View Full Version : Straight or angled paddles

stiffy
07-25-2003, 03:30 AM
Which paddle do you guys prefer?? The straight paddles or angled. I have the straight kind right now but was thinking about the angled. Are the gecko's good paddles I have heard they are to much for the 400. Thanks.

Baley69
07-25-2003, 04:09 AM
10 paddle haulers baby :devil:

oldsandman
07-25-2003, 04:57 AM
It depends on what you want to do. If you drag and hill shoot go with the staight, more aggressive hook up. If you just freeride the angled work just fine with less effort to slide and turn. I had some geckos on one of my 400's and they did not compare favorably to the sand skate II's or sand shark's that I also have. 10 pad haulers on a 400 with your mods would not be a good choice imo either.

Str8Wicked
07-25-2003, 05:44 AM
Go 8 paddle, 10 paddle is for high powered quads, more like a 2 strokes or sicc 4 strokes....

Gheko tires are great in the dunes but suck for drags....

i would recommend staying with a straight paddle and go with the lightest weight possible...

Dextreme
07-25-2003, 06:20 AM
V's are great for all around cruisin and playing in the dunes, but once you get used to how straight paddles hook up, you probably won't like the V's. The second thing is don't "over paddle" if you go with more paddles than 8 on a recreation quad, you will never get into higher gears climbing hills as you will bog the motor... and get spanked by your buddies. :p Also if you don't have Dune Trackers or Mohawks for the front, get them. They will complement the turning of straight paddles. :p

JabberJaw
07-25-2003, 06:36 AM
I always prefer going 'straight' but hey...whatever floats your banana!

zephead400ex
07-25-2003, 06:56 AM
I have Geckos with no motor mods, they are alright. My buddy has a completely stock 400 with "angled" paddles and I can definatley tell a huge difference when turning, much easier. IMO the Geckos work well for trail riding, straight paddles are much better for drag racing, and V cut paddles are for better turning ability.

You might already know this but: you probably will only want to get .160 rims, anything over that in sand is too heavy, IMO.

hope this helps

CHAUNCY
07-25-2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by JabberJaw
I always prefer going 'straight' but hey...whatever floats your banana!

ROFLMFAO:D

K2Snow
07-25-2003, 08:19 AM
stiffy, gonna sell off your straight paddles if you get angled ones? if so, let me know!

stiffy
07-25-2003, 08:35 AM
I'll for sure let ya know Dune season isn't for a few more months though.

WyoDuner
07-25-2003, 10:10 AM
Some 7 paddle haulers would be about right and some mohawks up front to make it turn better. Like Dextreme said, once you go straight and get used to them you won't want to go back to V paddles.

Geckos suck. These are truly the worst paddle ever made. Nothing personal against those who use them but they are simply a poorly designed paddle. The blades are too high for lower powered machines and the V design is symetrical which does not promote good turning. They don't work well on higher powerd machines because they have very little flotation and just dig in. Stay away from them.

If you are on a budget some GBC or Cheng Shin paddles with Dune Runners up front would work well too.

310Rduner
07-25-2003, 11:18 AM
Haulers...

i agree.. once you go straight.. you never go back:uhoh:

Once you get used to side hilling with straight haulers, there will be nothing holding you back. I've found it a challenge to sidehill at glamis, just because that sand is so out-of-this-world-soft.
At pismo tho, in the harder sand it is just as easy for me to slow down to 1st-2nd gear and just kinda keep riding the dune as slowly as possible.. doing the wave.. you guys know what im talkin about with the wave right??:)

V paddles just feel to slow and un-aggressive to me now.

Str8Wicked
07-25-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by 310Rduner

that sand is so out-of-this-world-soft.

Shut up.. stop talkin like that... teasing us all with those words... lol:eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

Baley69
07-25-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Str8Wicked
Go 8 paddle, 10 paddle is for high powered quads, more like a 2 strokes or sicc 4 strokes....

Gheko tires are great in the dunes but suck for drags....

i would recommend staying with a straight paddle and go with the lightest weight possible...

I've run with 8, 9, and 10 with out much of a dif.

Chef
07-25-2003, 01:04 PM
I would stay away from the 10 paddles, and even the 9's, unless you have some good motor mods. You will be a ton faster with 8's. I ran 9 extremes on my 460 last time out, and they were pretty good for it. That motor is turnin out about twice the HP and probably about twice the torque of a stock motor, and they were awesome. I definitely say a 8 paddle hauler.

offroader786
07-25-2003, 01:35 PM
i have alwas heard that angled paddles let you turn easier

JOEX
07-25-2003, 03:31 PM
Yes, the v-paddles turn easier. The straight paddles just need a little more body english to turn but it's not difficult at all.
I run Haulers and rode a friends with v's and i't was almost too easy to turn. I was almost doing 180's all the time because i'm used to the straight paddles.
I prefer the added security of the straight paddles for climbing and doing tree shots;)

Joe

Bad Habit
08-01-2003, 05:24 PM
310R

I'm with you on the wave.:macho When the sand is super soft, riding the wave and whipping the tops are a blast.

And go with the straights, IMO. I went from Sand Sharks to Haulers and couldn't believe how much better they hook up. Get some fronts with a solid rib. I first had Shark Fins up front and they pushed a little too much with the Haulers out back.

WyoDuner
08-04-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by offroader786
i have alwas heard that angled paddles let you turn easier

True - but they also get stuck half way up a hill easier. :) Oh, they lose drag races easier too. :)

carlj75
08-04-2003, 10:53 AM
Go with some 8 paddle extreme grip haulers. The extreme's aren't taller paddles, they are just thicker and a little less flexible. I think they will last longer than the regular haulers especially if you have to ride on the concrete to get to the sand.
I would definently stay away from the geckos. A couple of my friends have them and they get stuck on the soft sand tree shoots all the time. They just dig holes.