PDA

View Full Version : 3rd gear is shot, what kind of work is it to fix?

400MXer
07-24-2003, 02:29 PM
whenever i'm in third gear it jumps in and out of the gear. i'm pretty sure 3rd gear is poop. all the other gears are fine. what kind of project is this to fix, and how much will the parts be? Also, how much would a mechanic charge to fix this.

should i just find a motor on ebay or something...would is be cheaper?

Bill Fuller
07-24-2003, 02:44 PM
Do it your self,not a very hard project if you have tools and a place to do the work and a manual.The motor needs to be pulled out , cases split and pull the tranny out. You need a flywheel puller.Gasket kits (ServiceHonda.com) A and B. An air compresser makes it easier...Patience makes it a good learning experiance.There is plenty of help here online as well.Good luck.

RiPPiNiTuP7
07-24-2003, 02:49 PM
if you can do a top end rebuild the odds are pretty good you could handle replacing a gear....im sure this is a given but use a service manual while doing it. if you run into any probs ask here ;)

jerry-89-250R
07-24-2003, 02:52 PM
also cheaper than buying another motor that may be in worse shape than your's,

gojk
07-24-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
Do it your self,not a very hard project if you have tools and a place to do the work and a manual.The motor needs to be pulled out , cases split and pull the tranny out. You need a flywheel puller.Gasket kits (ServiceHonda.com) A and B. An air compresser makes it easier...Patience makes it a good learning experiance.There is plenty of help here online as well.Good luck.

I believe you can do it also.

When I did mine I didn't need a flywheel puller. Just start by tearing the topend off and then with the clutch side. You will be in there in no time. Make sure you have some bags or something to put the parts in as they come off and label then really well. Also, make sure you have a manual before you start. It is a really simple motor to work on. The hardest part is getting the nut off the clutch. Also it took quite a bit to get the cases to come apart. Be patient and dont crack one of them.

400MXer
07-24-2003, 05:34 PM
I'm pretty mechanically inclined so i think i can do it to. I've had just about the entire 400ex motor apart, but this will be my first time with the tranny.