PDA

View Full Version : Yet ANOTHER problem with Hotcams

Jennys440'Dale
07-24-2003, 06:05 AM
Yup, add us to the list of dissappointed customers of Hotcams. :cuss: Took Nick's cam out last night and EVERY single spline on there was broken. Quad was re-done past spring and it only had about 7 or 8 hours on it.

Going to contact Hotcams to see what they will do for us.

skemp
07-24-2003, 06:48 AM
I had 2 Hotcams do that. I think I was one of the first ones to notice the problem. I started the big thread about them a while back. I now have a stage 2 in my motor, that is guaranteed to not fail I am told, so we will see. I also have a stage 1 in my shop with bad splines waiting to go back to Hotcams for a replacement. They said it was a very small number of cams that had a problem with the splines. I honestly wouldn't doubt if it was 50% or more of the cams. I mean if it happened to me twice, the odds must be pretty great. They are taking care of the problem, but I sure bet they wish they did some more testing before releasing their product. Could have saved them a lot of money in the long run. :rolleyes: Other than the initial problems, however, I like the cams.

Dune Surfer
07-24-2003, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Jennys400ex
Yup, add us to the list of dissappointed customers of Hotcams. :cuss: Took Nick's cam out last night and EVERY single spline on there was broken. Quad was re-done past spring and it only had about 7 or 8 hours on it.

Going to contact Hotcams to see what they will do for us.

Chill out. Call them up, they will bend over backwards to make it right. Thier customer service is great. Don't worry.

buckeye400ex
07-24-2003, 07:33 AM
Yeah the customer service there is awesome. They are looking in to my defective cam as well. Jenny, the flange problem is a piece, from my understanding that was pressed on and is loose on the cam itself.

Ex_Rider43
07-24-2003, 03:10 PM
dont worry they will take care of you. it happend to me and I got the new cam back but I put a TC instead ans I sold the hotcams.

email or call them they are great to deal with.:)

cals400ex
07-24-2003, 07:55 PM
so are these the new hotcams your already having problems with? i thought all of the problems were going to be fixed after they redid them?

norcalatver
07-25-2003, 02:09 AM
I'm surprised at the people who are loyal to Hot Cams. After reading all the numerous posts about their defective products I personally would NEVER buy a hot cam. Who cares if they have great customer service when you're 300 miles from home, sitting around camp for the next week while all your buddies are riding and having fun! just because your cam failed? Do they pay you or your mechanic the labor and materials to replace it? I'm gonna guess NO! I'm not promoting any other cam, but all I can say is I've run three different cams, none have been Hot Cams, and have had zero failures. By the way, aren't Hot Cams made in Taiwan or China? You get what you pay for.

Bill Fuller
07-25-2003, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by norcalatver
I'm surprised at the people who are loyal to Hot Cams. After reading all the numerous posts about their defective products I personally would NEVER buy a hot cam. Who cares if they have great customer service when you're 300 miles from home, sitting around camp for the next while all your buddies are riding and having fun! just because your cam failed? Do they pay you or your mechanic the labor and materials to replace it? I'm gonna guess NO! I'm not promoting any other cam, but all I can say is I've run three different cams, none have been Hot Cams, and have had zero failures. By the way, aren't Hot Cams made in Taiwan or China? You get what you pay for. Thanks for saving me all that typing, my thoughts exactly poor quality control.I don't care how far they will bend over to fix the problem sounds like they bent thier loyal customers over....You get what you paid for.Remember what mom always said "If it sounds to good to be true than it probably is".It don't matter how much you save maybe you can think about that as I'm riding .

Taco
07-25-2003, 02:32 AM
I believe that i wont ever deal with Hotcams. I don't really care if they will take care of me if a problem comes up. I don't wanna tear into my engine b/c of someone elses mistake. That High Dolla HRC cam is looking like its worth its weight in gold to me. Tc GNCC cam sounds good to me also:D

Doibugu2
07-25-2003, 03:29 AM
Taco, Bill, and NorC. I thought I was the only one thinking this. I'm suprised this thread hasn't gotten the attention the other ones have.

I think the saying applies here, you get what you pay for. It may be cheaper, but it seems the parts aren't holding up to the abuse they get.

bmw500hp
07-25-2003, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by Taco
I believe that i wont ever deal with Hotcams. I don't really care if they will take care of me if a problem comes up. I don't wanna tear into my engine b/c of someone elses mistake. That High Dolla HRC cam is looking like its worth its weight in gold to me. Tc GNCC cam sounds good to me also:D

Taco, I tell you man, investigate Brent Studivandt's custom Web-Cam. Your talkin a custom grind out of (our state) brother! No other drop in near these specs...No ticking in my motor man and comes on like a turbocharged pull-tractor on steroids! :D

07-25-2003, 03:34 AM
I've stamped them as junk since day one and will continue to stamp them as junk...:blah:

skemp
07-25-2003, 03:53 AM
As soon as I get a replacement for the bad stage 1 I have sitting around, I am selling both to get a TC or Web cam. I like the grind, but not anything else about the cam. I wish they cared about selling a quality product in the first place so I could run one without worrying about it.

400ex Magnum
07-25-2003, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
Chill out. Call them up, they will bend over backwards to make it right. Thier customer service is great. Don't worry.

Dune surfer

Yes, Hot Cam's is trying to take care of the problem with good customer service, but the problem is that they (Jenny and Nick are good friends of mine) are trying to get the quad ready for a ride this weekend. They already replaced the Hot Cam with an XR 400 cam. Good customer service doesn't make up for a poor product, especially when you get stuck driving the beer cooler quad because your quad is on the truck because of a bad cam. Two of my friends (Buckeye and Nick) both installed Hot Cams and both were defective. Not a very good batting average where I come from.

RIjon
07-25-2003, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by norcalatver
I'm surprised at the people who are loyal to Hot Cams. After reading all the numerous posts about their defective products I personally would NEVER buy a hot cam. Who cares if they have great customer service when you're 300 miles from home, sitting around camp for the next while all your buddies are riding and having fun! just because your cam failed? Do they pay you or your mechanic the labor and materials to replace it? I'm gonna guess NO! I'm not promoting any other cam, but all I can say is I've run three different cams, none have been Hot Cams, and have had zero failures. By the way, aren't Hot Cams made in Taiwan or China? You get what you pay for.

RiPPiNiTuP7
07-25-2003, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Rico
I've stamped them as junk since day one and will continue to stamp them as junk...:blah:

you wont catch me ever using one:uhoh:

Bill Fuller
07-25-2003, 06:08 AM
TC National XC cam:muscle:

07-25-2003, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
TC National XC cam:muscle:

This lady here knows what she's talkin about....I"m thinkin a TC cam is what I"ll be using very soon..

lilpoppy
07-25-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by 400ex Magnum
Dune surfer

Yes, Hot Cam's is trying to take care of the problem with good customer service, but the problem is that they (Jenny and Nick are good friends of mine) are trying to get the quad ready for a ride this weekend. They already replaced the Hot Cam with an XR 400 cam. Good customer service doesn't make up for a poor product, especially when you get stuck driving the beer cooler quad because your quad is on the truck because of a bad cam. Two of my friends (Buckeye and Nick) both installed Hot Cams and both were defective. Not a very good batting average where I come from.

You say two of your friends have them and they were both defective? Did they buy them at the same time or possibly from the same batch? I can't speak for all of these people in here but I will gladly race any of you guys and see how great all of the 200$-350$ cam's are. I paid a lot less for my cam and havn't had any problems and last time I went out I was killing every 440 out there no matter how suped up their motor was. At the most we have had about 8 people on this site with problems with Hotcams. 8 out of the thousands of members on this site isn't really that bad. I don't blame you guys for not wanting to risk it but all of this Hotcams bashing has got to stop. Most of you guys complaining havn't ever even owned one but you know a friend of a friend that had a problem.

Chef
07-25-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by lilpoppy
I will gladly race any of you guys and see how great all of the 200$-350$ cam's are. .

Are ya sure you mean that?:D

mopar 400
07-25-2003, 01:03 PM
I was killing every 440 out there no matter how suped up their motor was.
Now I'm calling bull *****......

Dune Surfer
07-25-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by mopar 400
I was killing every 440 out there no matter how suped up their motor was.
Now I'm calling bull *****......

I'll race ya brother, he he

norcalatver
07-25-2003, 04:10 PM
Lilpoppy, I think any product would receive a poor evaluation from this forum if it performed as poorly as the Hot Cam. Look at how many people have posted about the cam. I haven't counted but there's probably not many more than a hundred different unique user posts. If eight out of a hundred have a bad experience with the product I'd say that's a pretty poor product. I've performed a search and can't find a single thread regarding a failure with any other cam manufacturer. Not ONE! It's not bashing, it's informative. B.T.W. I'm from sacramento, we ought to hook up some time and go riding. p.m. me if you want to.

JD400exrider
07-25-2003, 08:06 PM
Now lets see. $130.00 +/- for the Hot Cam + gaskets + labor if you have a shop do it. + down time of riding + the BS you have to go through for sending it back, Calling the company, and wondering if you got a good one This Time.

That extra $100-150 bucks the First Time for a Quality cam does not sound that bad does it. ;) :eek2:

HRC, TC, Web Cam :muscle:

moto93
07-26-2003, 03:42 AM
I'm happy with my HotCams stage 2.

Bill Fuller
07-26-2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by JD400exrider
Now lets see. $130.00 +/- for the Hot Cam + gaskets + labor if you have a shop do it. + down time of riding + the BS you have to go through for sending it back, Calling the company, and wondering if you got a good one This Time.

That extra $100-150 bucks the First Time for a Quality cam does not sound that bad does it. ;) :eek2:

HRC, TC, Web Cam :muscle: Time=Money to me guys.I will pay extra for piece of mind.

Dune Surfer
07-26-2003, 10:43 AM
Boy, you guys are sure hard on hotcams:( They had a problem and corrected it. The new cams are fine. Still the best cam for the $$$.

pnut420
07-26-2003, 12:21 PM
Boy, you guys are sure hard on hotcams:( They had a problem and corrected it. The new cams are fine. Still the best cam for the $$$.

I hope so, I'm getting my motor done with a hotcam I bought a while back, C and D checked to make sure it was one of the good batch, so Im hoping it is, if I have any problems Ill be sure to post it. I plan on doing a rebuild on my other motor, with a 13:1 JE, hardened rockers, Webcam, stroke the crank and make it a 440 or 465, etc... Ill build one good motor and one descent motor. lol

nacs400ex
07-26-2003, 12:21 PM
Yeah, but dune surfer, if you have a hot cam and it buggers up I am pretty sure its gunna equal out to the same price as an agressive cam.

pnut420
07-26-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by nacs400ex
Yeah, but dune surfer, if you have a hot cam and it buggers up I am pretty sure its gunna equal out to the same price as an agressive cam.

With the aggresive cams, you have to harden rockers, and get better springs, so it is quite a bit more expensive, but I agree. I would never purchase a hotcam again.

mopar 400
07-26-2003, 02:11 PM
I'll race ya brother, he he I can't wait bring it on .....:macho Tony Iv'e got my plus 2 swing arm on now . no more flipping .:D the 440 is running sweet right now. all broke in lets get it on .:devil:

Dune Surfer
07-26-2003, 03:35 PM
I'll bet that swingarm helps alot. How much of a head start should I give you:D I havn't seen a 440 that could keep up with the Predator. Dam thing is fast. Way faster than my 426.
lets plan a trip. Let me know.
tony

j37
07-26-2003, 04:06 PM
I havent had any problems with my Hot Cam 2 cam yet. I must agree with mopar 400. I have a 416 piston, Hot Cam 2 cam, and a Duncan Racing Double Barrel pipe and my engine is fast. I can stay with a 440 at the track I race at and can pass the guy. I can stay with 250r's with engine work too.

pnut420
07-26-2003, 05:09 PM
I'll bet that swingarm helps alot. How much of a head start should I give you:D I havn't seen a 440 that could keep up with the Predator. Dam thing is fast. Way faster than my 426.
lets plan a trip. Let me know.
tony

It aint all that. :confused: Seen plenty of ex's kill them

Jennys440'Dale
07-27-2003, 07:41 AM
Alright guys, seems some of you think that I am bashing Hotcams. I simply posted this to let others know of the problems Nick and I have gone through in this past week.

Yes, I have contacted Hotcams, and they will be sending me a UPS shipping label to send the defective cam back and they will send us a replacement. But, that doesn't nearly cover the crap I had to go through to dig into the top end, drive 2.5 hours to Dayton to get an XR 400 cam (the only place closest to us to stock one) and then add in the speeding ticket I got on the way home. So, this has been a very expensive trip. Is Hotcam going to cover the gaskets, the oil, the filter and other labor that goes with tearing an engine apart? I think not.

You guys must remember, this site is for information, not FACTS.

And by the way, he had the Hotcams, Stage 1 in his quad. And yes, my friend Buckeye and my fiance had their quads both re-done at the same time by Treadway Suzuki-Honda (not a recommended place) and I am assuming they just got a bad batch of cams there.

Chef
07-27-2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by pnut420

Yea...so have I.:confused:

lilpoppy
07-27-2003, 09:23 AM
All of these problems are all from the same defective batch. We all already know that there was a problem with the Hotcams but it was fixed. But still you guys go on and on about how they are crap. It is just kind of getting a little annoying.

As for the predators being fast, I raced a couple different ones and they were allright but I consistantly beat they by at least 3-4 quad lengths if my memory serves me. As for the 440's, I was doing drags all memorial weekend out at Pismo and there was only 1 400ex that could consistantly beat me. The problem was I never got to talk to the guy to find out what he had in it. I raced at least 5 other 440's and I could consistantly beat them by 1-2 lengths. I'm sorry if you guys are having a hard time believeing it but I have 2 friends on exriders that were that and would gladly vouche for me. I never really got to race Mopar because he was still breaking in his 440 but maby next time.

I don't really care if you guys want to buy a Hotcam or not I'm just telling you guys that they are good cams and yes they did have a problem but it is over now. Do what you guys want but I would rather put some money into some porting than hardening rockers and stiffer springs.

lilpoppy
07-27-2003, 09:30 AM
norcalatver where do you ride at? I havn't been out riding in a while but we are planning on running down to Pismo for a weekend pretty soon. You are more than welcome to join us. We are planning on going sometime in august but that depends on how long it takes my friend to get his engine rebuilt. Pm me sometime and we will meet up.

JD400exrider
07-27-2003, 12:49 PM
lilpoppy Nor cal and i ride alot in the mountains about an hour from sac towards tahoe. We are planning a trip to sand mountain in october. You and your buddies should try to make it. Norcal is heading to orgeon sand fest in a week or so. I here that is the bomb.

Hope to ride with some time.

Varmit57
07-27-2003, 02:11 PM
I have a few freinds that run them and have only heard of one that got a bad one, he just drove over there and they traded him for a new one. Of course we only live 30mi. away from the manufacture...

I run the WB but that was in the motor when I bought it, When I'm ready for a new one it will be a HotCam!

Dune Surfer
07-27-2003, 02:13 PM

What you got is what I had 416 then 426 porting hotcams duncan fatboy. It doesn't come close to the predator I have now. Anytime you want to put that 416 up against my piped 500 Predator I'll be waiting:D

Booth440ex
07-27-2003, 02:27 PM
i have a stage 2 hotcams and had no problems what so ever. its been in for over 6 months

Sporttrax400ex
07-27-2003, 02:30 PM
ive got a stage 2 hot cam coming.

skemp
07-27-2003, 02:56 PM
What you got is what I had 416 then 426 porting hotcams duncan fatboy. It doesn't come close to the predator I have now. Anytime you want to put that 416 up against my piped 500 Predator I'll be waiting:D

I wish I could DuneSurfer. I'm not making any claims, but I would love to try racing a Predator. I don't know anybody around my area that has one, and when I did actually see one, he wouldn't race me. :rolleyes: It was abviously his first step into the sport market, if you know what I mean.

I haven't ridden a Predator, but I know mine scares the chit out of me sometimes since I have had my motor setup where I want it.

Dune Surfer
07-27-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by skemp
I wish I could DuneSurfer. I'm not making any claims, but I would love to try racing a Predator. I don't know anybody around my area that has one, and when I did actually see one, he wouldn't race me. :rolleyes: It was abviously his first step into the sport market, if you know what I mean.

I haven't ridden a Predator, but I know mine scares the chit out of me sometimes since I have had my motor setup where I want it.

I liked my 416, it was snappy. When I went to the 426 it was a little stronger. I have ridden some 440's and honestly the 500 pred is faster. Makes sense 500cc with double overhead cams should be faster.

pnut420
07-27-2003, 06:17 PM
I liked my 416, it was snappy. When I went to the 426 it was a little stronger. I have ridden some 440's and honestly the 500 pred is faster. Makes sense 500cc with double overhead cams should be faster.

It should be, but it wasnt proving itself in Pismo. What do those things weigh? That could have alot to do with it also. Also, lilpoppy was killing raptors that were piped, and a few sounded like they had cams, he beat all the raptors by like 3 or 4 lengths. Dont get me wrong raptors can and will smoke Exs all the time. I just dont think the displacement is eveything, seen tons of 250r's whoop on banshees with comparable upgrades.

redrizza
07-28-2003, 12:58 AM
How do you get ahold of Hotcams? I have a stage II I've been running all season now, and I tore my top end appart to replace a blown head gasket and I guess I have one of the defective cams. The cam sprocket wiggles all over on the splines. I hope they have a quick turn around on replacing this part.

Jennys440'Dale
07-28-2003, 01:21 AM
You have a PM with the e-mail address of the guy who I have been dealing with. Good luck!

buckeye400ex
07-28-2003, 03:50 AM
I had Treadway (boo, hiss.... Long story, I'll explain later) put a White Bros cam in mine instead of the Hotcam. They (Hotcams) said they would "...see what they can do for me..." when I discussed the cost of getting the cam replaced, gaskets, oil etc....

Am I holding my breath? NO, but they responded almost immediately to an email and started trying to help. That was refreshing when it seems some people act like you should be thankful you had the priviledge of paying THEM!! (ie...Treadway)

I never got a chance to race the Predator this weekend, with the White Bros cam in there, but with the disintegrating Hotcam, I couldn't beat him in the sand up at Silver Lake in April. I think my quad is faster now, but I don't know. Those Predators rip.

2qk4u
07-28-2003, 10:25 AM
www.hotcamsinc.com

lilpoppy
07-28-2003, 01:07 PM
Hey Dunesurfer have you done any drag racing yet? What have you beat? I'm not trying to talk trash or anything but from the few Predators I raced I was killing them. How does it compare in a race with a raptor? I think my friends and I are gonna be planning a tripo down to Pismo Labor Day weekend I you wanna meet up. By the way I did get the porpegs and they look good.

JD400exrider PM me sometime when you ride somewhere that doesn't have noise restrictions or spark arrestors and we will meet up. You are welcome to come with us to Pismo on labor day weekend if you want. My friends and I have been talking about going to sandmountain so maby we will plan it for october.

PHIL_B54
07-28-2003, 01:27 PM
not really related to hotcams, but a local guy piped his pred and i raced him , beat him by 2-3 lengths, but he kept saying is jetting was way off, i figured he was makin excuses. so when he got it re-jetted we went again :eek: he smoked me so bad

i just got my 11:1 piston and will be ordering my stage 2 shortly

Dune Surfer
07-28-2003, 02:09 PM
Hey Dunesurfer have you done any drag racing yet? What have you beat? I'm not trying to talk trash or anything but from the few Predators I raced I was killing them. How does it compare in a race with a raptor? I think my friends and I are gonna be planning a tripo down to Pismo Labor Day weekend I you wanna meet up. By the way I did get the porpegs and they look good.

JD400exrider PM me sometime when you ride somewhere that doesn't have noise restrictions or spark arrestors and we will meet up. You are welcome to come with us to Pismo on labor day weekend if you want. My friends and I have been talking about going to sandmountain so maby we will plan it for october.

So far I have raced quite a few honda's 400, 416,426,440, Beat them all by alot. 300 yard drag
raced many piped Z-400's beat them all, once again by alot
Race four or five piped raptors, beat them by a quad length or two, lost if I blew the start. Won most of the time
Raced two yami 450's beat one at pismo at the very end a couple of times, got my butt kicked at st a's by three or four quad lengths. Those things are fast.
One thing about the pred is it is not great at the start but on longer races it fly's
comp hill at pismo is to short for it but the drag strip is good for it.

I'm not really a big drag racer and I'm not that good at it, I weigh about 240. I really ride dunes mostly. Glad you like the propegs, I need a set for my pred.

pnut420
07-28-2003, 07:58 PM
So far I have raced quite a few honda's 400, 416,426,440, Beat them all by alot. 300 yard drag
raced many piped Z-400's beat them all, once again by alot
Race four or five piped raptors, beat them by a quad length or two, lost if I blew the start. Won most of the time
Raced two yami 450's beat one at pismo at the very end a couple of times, got my butt kicked at st a's by three or four quad lengths. Those things are fast.
One thing about the pred is it is not great at the start but on longer races it fly's
comp hill at pismo is to short for it but the drag strip is good for it.

I'm not really a big drag racer and I'm not that good at it, I weigh about 240. I really ride dunes mostly. Glad you like the propegs, I need a set for my pred.

Oh ok that makes sense, we usually determine who wins within the first 200 yards and thats when the raptors get beat by 3 or 4 by lilpoppy, if we do go 300 yards they are close.

CC Rider
07-29-2003, 08:59 AM
Dont listen to pnut, I doubt a raptor would catch up to lilpoppy between 200 yrd`s and 300 yrd`s if he already is takin them by 3-4 quad lengths. I think the obvious reason is the weight difference, dune surfer is at 240 lbs and lilpoppy is at maybe 160,thats a 80 lb difference for those who cant do the math, witch calculates to a 8hp from what i understand!:eek2:

pnut420
07-29-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by CC Rider
Dont listen to pnut, I doubt a raptor would catch up to lilpoppy between 200 yrd`s and 300 yrd`s if he already is takin them by 3-4 quad lengths. I think the obvious reason is the weight difference, dune surfer is at 240 lbs and lilpoppy is at maybe 160,thats a 80 lb difference for those who cant do the math, witch calculates to a 8hp from what i understand!:eek2:

Is this my riding partner that gets hid *** whooped by lilpoppy 24/7. I was out riding with him alot more and when we were dragging to 300 yards they were within 1 or 2, (which is close in case you didnt know), so we will wait until he gets on here. Most of the time you are to dazzed to realize whats going on because you crash right away, lol. J/P buddy its all in fun. The weight does have alot to do with it, which means the 426 is with pnut on it will hand it to you guys, all I need is the sparks pipe and I already have the FCR carb advantage on you.

Dune Surfer
07-29-2003, 01:29 PM
you guys are smokin dope. Not once did I see a 400 beat a predatotor last time I was at pismo.

mopar 400
07-29-2003, 01:56 PM
LMFAO.....:D

lilpoppy
07-29-2003, 02:49 PM
Ok this subject has gotten way off track. I gurantee I can and have beatten multiple piped raptors by at least 3 lengths which is run in the entire distance that every one runs out at the drag strips in Pismo. I'm not really sure how long that is. I can't convince anyone of this and it really doesn't matter but like I said the invitation still stands for Labro Day weekend. The more people there are the more fun it is. I guess I don't really follow you on who you are beating because you say you beat 440's really bad but you only beat a piped Raptor by 2 lengths? What 440 can't beat or stay within a length or a piped raptor? They should beat the crap out of them unless it only has a bore and a new piston.

pnut420
07-29-2003, 07:22 PM
Ok this subject has gotten way off track. I gurantee I can and have beatten multiple piped raptors by at least 3 lengths which is run in the entire distance that every one runs out at the drag strips in Pismo. I'm not really sure how long that is. I can't convince anyone of this and it really doesn't matter but like I said the invitation still stands for Labro Day weekend. The more people there are the more fun it is. I guess I don't really follow you on who you are beating because you say you beat 440's really bad but you only beat a piped Raptor by 2 lengths? What 440 can't beat or stay within a length or a piped raptor? They should beat the crap out of them unless it only has a bore and a new piston.

Yep. But like I said they were sometimes getting within a quad or 2 distance. Also there was that one EX out there that had a stock reworked pipe, probaly a 440 with higher compression like 13:1 and was handing you and all the raptors and 4 strokes their ***es. Also their was a Suzuki that has racecut fenders and all that and was right their with heavily modded banshees

pnut420
07-29-2003, 07:24 PM
you guys are smokin dope. Not once did I see a 400 beat a predatotor last time I was at pismo.

I still can see straight after I smoke that dope. Im just going by what I saw man, I didnt see any predators impressing me at all.:confused:

YZROOSTINYA
07-29-2003, 11:10 PM
Back on topic,

Tony over at Hotcam is a extremely reasonable guy, Great service and product.

Nothing but good news on this end.

I have built 4 - 416's, all with HOTCAM:devil:

07-29-2003, 11:14 PM
I still can see straight after I smoke that dope. Im just going by what I saw man, I didnt see any predators impressing me at all.:confused:

:eek2:

And be thankfull that hotcam is standing behind their product, correcting the problems and getting out the replacement instead of just telling you tough #@$@ like so many in this industry do.

Dune Surfer, Bring it on, the Honda is hungry for some more poopalaris's. :D :blah:

Dune Surfer
07-30-2003, 03:34 AM
Your right guys, if you put enough $$$ in a honda( 13+ comp carb, porting,cam, run on alky ect...) you can outrun Stock predators, Raptors, shee's. But at what price? My wife says I spent 4K on my honda last year and my stock pred is faster. If I wanted to do all that stuff to my predator it would be much faster. Where does it end? Put a honda and a pred against eachother that have the same mods and who wins?
The bottom line is built shee's and 250r's kick the crap out of almost all 4 strokes. so lets not think were fast. I had a built 426 and I know how fast they are. We all want to think we are fast, but really it's who wants to speng the most $$$ is the fastest.

PS if you can see strait after smoking dope, you need better dope
:D :confused2 :eek2: :devil:

Doibugu2
07-30-2003, 03:45 AM
Dune surfer, are you talking about in the dunes or on the trails? Most of us ride the trails and don't need the straight line speed that you need to climb the dunes.

Pappy
07-30-2003, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
Dune surfer, are you talking about in the dunes or on the trails? Most of us ride the trails and don't need the straight line speed that you need to climb the dunes.

i still think theres a few 400's around that will hand him his arse....and then some:blah:

07-30-2003, 03:53 AM
I'lll make sure to get some pics of me handing 2 predators their ***'s at my next MX race...:D Oh yeah it's the pro class too...:eek:

pnut420
07-30-2003, 04:16 AM
Your right guys, if you put enough $$$ in a honda( 13+ comp carb, porting,cam, run on alky ect...) you can outrun Stock predators, Raptors, shee's. But at what price? My wife says I spent 4K on my honda last year and my stock pred is faster. If I wanted to do all that stuff to my predator it would be much faster. Where does it end? Put a honda and a pred against eachother that have the same mods and who wins?
The bottom line is built shee's and 250r's kick the crap out of almost all 4 strokes. so lets not think were fast. I had a built 426 and I know how fast they are. We all want to think we are fast, but really it's who wants to speng the most $$$ is the fastest.

Ive been smoking it for awhile, so I can see straight, lol. Also you dont need alky to beat a predator, I say a stroked 440 with 11:1 and a webcam would hand a stock predator their arse. Seen it before. Also Im with lilpoppy you beat 400's by 4 or 5 lengths and raptors are like 2 or 3, from what I say when I was at Pismo any modded Ex was whooping on a piped raptor or predator. Shees amd 250r dominated. Then their was one quad that had a damn street bike motor in it.

07-30-2003, 04:29 AM

I see what your saying but since some of us have well under 1000.00 in our motors and still never see the preds catching up after the holeshot I am not sure I totally agree.

It takes a lot of Torque to get all the extra weight moving and then its too late.

I am sure with the right mods the pred will kick arse also but its still needing more power to overcome its weight problem.

Dune Surfer
07-30-2003, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2

Dunes baby!! my 426 ran too hot climbing dunes all day. I needed more power and water cooling:D

Dune Surfer
07-30-2003, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
i still think theres a few 400's around that will hand him his arse....and then some:blah:

400's? maybe 440's with $$$ in them

pnut420
07-30-2003, 05:00 AM
Alright dunesurfer, we are talking more on the 150 weight class (Im only 125)not 240. The predator and the DS650 are great for people with the bellies, but a DS650 or a predator wouldnt do me any good, thats where Im getting at. Different quads suite different people needs. I want to be able to jump mine and take off quick out the hole, not catch someone in a 300 yard drag..

Also when I get the 426 with hotcam stage 2, X-6, 39MM FCR back, I will be glad to show you that with me on the 426, you would get smoked, as well as any piped raptors. I want to see how it does against the YZF though.

07-30-2003, 06:25 AM
400's? maybe 440's with $$$ in them

:D

Agreed

Dune Surfer
07-30-2003, 06:43 AM
Alright dunesurfer, we are talking more on the 150 weight class (Im only 125)not 240. The predator and the DS650 are great for people with the bellies, but a DS650 or a predator wouldnt do me any good, thats where Im getting at. Different quads suite different people needs. I want to be able to jump mine and take off quick out the hole, not catch someone in a 300 yard drag..

Also when I get the 426 with hotcam stage 2, X-6, 39MM FCR back, I will be glad to show you that with me on the 426, you would get smoked, as well as any piped raptors. I want to see how it does against the YZF though.

You are truly a legend in your own mind:eek2: The bike you are building is the same as the one I had. And still I can tell a big difference in the speed of the predator. Also for the record the pred and ds both jump great. I like jumping my pred better than my 426. Before you say a pred is only for fat arsses why don't you ride one? Only then can you give an informed opinion. I owned a honda 426 and can compare the two from experience. Oh by the way you won't beat the yammi 450, those things are FAST.

pnut420
07-30-2003, 07:24 AM
You are truly a legend in your own mind:eek2: The bike you are building is the same as the one I had. And still I can tell a big difference in the speed of the predator. Also for the record the pred and ds both jump great. I like jumping my pred better than my 426. Before you say a pred is only for fat arsses why don't you ride one? Only then can you give an informed opinion. I owned a honda 426 and can compare the two from experience. Oh by the way you won't beat the yammi 450, those things are FAST.

DS650's are good for jumping, come on now man, dont be saying that. Also with 110 pounds less than you are, I think the 426 would take you down. Also their is no way I would take a pred for jumping over an EX.

Dune Surfer
07-30-2003, 07:40 AM
DS650's are good for jumping, come on now man, dont be saying that. Also with 110 pounds less than you are, I think the 426 would take you down. Also their is no way I would take a pred for jumping over an EX.

I understand that you own a honda so you think they are all that. But once again you are making claims not based on riding experience. I have not jumped much on a DS, but I have some. True it weighs a ton but it fly's well and has great suspension for landing. The Predator weighs less than the DS, 40lbs more than the 400ex but jumps extremly well. It has a snappy rev happy engine and it is wider than a ex. It also has much better suspension than a stock ex (better than my ex with elka's) and soaks up landings much better even on bad landings that would have tossed me on my EX.
Don't get me wrong the EX is a very good quad, great for racing and trail riding. The problem with the EX is the design is to old and air cooling is a thing of the past. Hopefully someday we can meet and you can ride my Pred and then you can make an informed review. Just think how fast you would be on a pred at your weight:D Pluss if I can't beat you I can always just sit on you and hold you down:D :D Kidding
Enjoy your 426, I did. But please don't put down other brands you have not ridden. If honda was all that great people wouldn't be dumping them to buy Predators and Yammi's. I would have purchased a honda if they had something better.

JD400exrider
07-30-2003, 08:06 AM
I think this one should be settled at the drag strip. Let us know when you will be going to pismo. I would love to take a trip down there.

At a buck 125 pnut you weigh nothing. That 426 should rock for ya. Just wait though the bellie will come in time. You still a young pup. :p

I am a honda guy all the way, however I would aggree with dune surfer on this one. As for a honda or pred best suited for dune riding. I would take a pred over a honda ex anyday. Water cooled, bigger displacement, nice set up in stock form.
As for woods or MX racing I would take an ex.

pnut420
07-30-2003, 08:12 AM
I understand that you own a honda so you think they are all that. But once again you are making claims not based on riding experience. I have not jumped much on a DS, but I have some. True it weighs a ton but it fly's well and has great suspension for landing. The Predator weighs less than the DS, 40lbs more than the 400ex but jumps extremly well. It has a snappy rev happy engine and it is wider than a ex. It also has much better suspension than a stock ex (better than my ex with elka's) and soaks up landings much better even on bad landings that would have tossed me on my EX.
Don't get me wrong the EX is a very good quad, great for racing and trail riding. The problem with the EX is the design is to old and air cooling is a thing of the past. Hopefully someday we can meet and you can ride my Pred and then you can make an informed review. Just think how fast you would be on a pred at your weight:D Pluss if I can't beat you I can always just sit on you and hold you down:D :D Kidding
Enjoy your 426, I did. But please don't put down other brands you have not ridden. If honda was all that great people wouldn't be dumping them to buy Predators and Yammi's. I would have purchased a honda if they had something better.

Definelty not dissing any quads. Ive seen more banshees win at the drags than any other quad. I rode with this quad that had a DS650 and he said it was crap for jumping, said it had tons of travel but the weight just bottomed it out, he rode his buddys ex and said it jumped much better, but the DS650 did handle well he said. The predator really jumps as good as the 400 with elkas in it, thats cool.

UglyMotha™
07-30-2003, 08:19 AM
I think this one should be settled at the drag strip. Let us know when you will be going to pismo. I would love to take a trip down there.

couple weekends ago at rolling thunder i was running two tenths of a second faster than a predator with about the same reaction time and the guy wasn't much bigger than me

slips prove more than opinions so give it a rest

pnut420
07-30-2003, 08:27 AM

At a buck 125 pnut you weigh nothing. That 426 should rock for ya. Just wait though the bellie will come in time. You still a young pup. :p

I am a honda guy all the way, however I would aggree with dune surfer on this one. As for a honda or pred best suited for dune riding. I would take a pred over a honda ex anyday. Water cooled, bigger displacement, nice set up in stock form.
As for woods or MX racing I would take an ex.

Yeah, but I dont want a stock quad anymore no matter what brand it is. I was a Yamaha guy at first but now I love the way the Ex feels. I think if you buy a 400 with a few mods for $3,000, then put $3,000 in upgrades you will be ahead of a pred, raptor, and all the new 4 strokes. You can get a full race 400 for $5,000 now.

07-30-2003, 10:14 AM
Dont know why I am liking this thread so much :) :devil:

I know a lot of what we get here is heresay and opinion and just about everyone has an opinion (not everyone because some just borrow the popular opinion) but I honestly believe that under certain circumstances you both could be right.

I agree with DuneSurfer that the liquid cooling on the newer sport quads is a good thing and one of the two things I miss on the EX. The other being a better swingarm and linkage set up on the rear. Otherwise I have nothing bad to say about this machine.

Now the Predator has liquid cooling and a better set up or design on the suspension (mostly the rear) and in stock v/s stock theres no comparison between the machines. The predator isnt without its flaws and though I was impressed with the suspension on the one or two I have ridden I wasnt with other things like ergo's and the power band etc. What I wanted to ride was a modded one and have not had that opportunity yet, and thats where we need to be comparing.

Lets be honest that most of us arent interested in stock but are wanting, needing or just plain cant ride a machine till its modded up. Sure a properly modded EX will hang with or beat a lot of the newer machines but if all is equal (mods etc) then it can be a different story. The one shortfall of the ex is its ability to remove heat from the motor and with the newer machines having liquid cooling they will be better able to remove heat and no matter what you weigh after 2 hours of full throttle racing that will make a difference.

So go ride and enjoy :blah:

Dune Surfer
07-30-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
Dont know why I am liking this thread so much :) :devil:

I know a lot of what we get here is heresay and opinion and just about everyone has an opinion (not everyone because some just borrow the popular opinion) but I honestly believe that under certain circumstances you both could be right.

I agree with DuneSurfer that the liquid cooling on the newer sport quads is a good thing and one of the two things I miss on the EX. The other being a better swingarm and linkage set up on the rear. Otherwise I have nothing bad to say about this machine.

Now the Predator has liquid cooling and a better set up or design on the suspension (mostly the rear) and in stock v/s stock theres no comparison between the machines. The predator isnt without its flaws and though I was impressed with the suspension on the one or two I have ridden I wasnt with other things like ergo's and the power band etc. What I wanted to ride was a modded one and have not had that opportunity yet, and thats where we need to be comparing.

Lets be honest that most of us arent interested in stock but are wanting, needing or just plain cant ride a machine till its modded up. Sure a properly modded EX will hang with or beat a lot of the newer machines but if all is equal (mods etc) then it can be a different story. The one shortfall of the ex is its ability to remove heat from the motor and with the newer machines having liquid cooling they will be better able to remove heat and no matter what you weigh after 2 hours of full throttle racing that will make a difference.

So go ride and enjoy :blah:

440 very intelligent response;)

07-30-2003, 03:08 PM
440 very intelligent response;)

LOL I guess I surprise everyone now and then :)

Still more fun being a instagating wise arse, but so many here fill in for me I can just relax and act smart :blah:

BTW thanx

mopar 400
07-30-2003, 04:37 PM
Tony, will be at pismo on 8-16 thats a Sat . want to join us? let me know......:)

Dune Surfer
07-30-2003, 04:59 PM
That sounds cool. I'll try to make it. It would be good to see you, and have a working quad;)