PDA

View Full Version : What to do??

400exBro
07-24-2003, 04:23 AM
lately i have been thinking a lot of what to do with my ex... i decided not to sell it until the new honda comes, whenever that will be:rolleyes: ...
anyways i am deciding on what to do, wither trick out my ex with a MX416 kit from sparks, tc or lrd or keep it till spring and then buy the new honda, or yammy...

i want to have a good handling, powerfull, reliable mx racing machine... i will do the suspension and all that too, but only if i do the 416 kit....
just give me some ideas to what i would be getting into... i just want more power and a better machine overall...

250EXking
07-24-2003, 07:57 AM
I like to vote.:D

I vote new quad.

exriderdude
07-24-2003, 10:06 AM
well if yur gonna trick out your quad.... get either the LRD or Sparks kit, and use Axis shocks;)

but personally i would just wait for the new one:)

Glow Plug
07-24-2003, 10:17 AM
well i think you should hold off on this work until the winter and then if a new honda comes out get that if it doesn't do the 416 :D

400exBro
07-24-2003, 11:01 AM
bump!!!
i would like to add that it should last a long time... and i am not to sure that doing a 416 kit will be able to produce the power that i am looking for....
i really like how the 426 dirt bike engine drives, really snappy... this what i am looking for...

come on i need more opnions... i want something that will domenate against the z400, and 440exs...

roostin_dale
07-24-2003, 01:30 PM
Wait for Honda;) Or buy a cannondale

Lehr 110
07-24-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by roostin_dale
Wait for Honda;) Or buy a cannondale

no one i have seen so far has been able to keep a cannondale running....including me
at nationals they blow left and right the one caught fire while the guy was coming back to his pit from the one practice:eek2:

sickmojave
07-24-2003, 01:53 PM
I would wait to see what comes out :D

trx400ex
07-24-2003, 01:55 PM
YFZ

Lehr 110
07-24-2003, 01:56 PM
i say one of the 450's
yamaha and honda
i am getting both to see which is better

Pappy
07-24-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Lehr 110
i say one of the 450's
yamaha and honda
i am getting both to see which is better

any inside news on when the honda will be out:devil:

400exBro
07-24-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
any inside news on when the honda will be out:devil:

RiPPiNiTuP7
07-24-2003, 02:22 PM
pop a 416 in and call it a day:macho

Lehr 110
07-24-2003, 02:22 PM
i wish i knew when it is exactly coming out..just rumors are september

400exBro
07-24-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
pop a 416 in and call it a day:macho

is it worth spending 2.5k on a engine???
where i can just buy a new honda which will probably be liquad cooled and probably as reliable as my 400ex but more power...

for all those people who voted to do the 416 kit, why did you choose it over buying the honda 450??

i think Lehr 110 is trying to get at something here becuase he know something:scary: about the honda.... i think it must be good if he is selling a yzf440

Lehr 110
07-24-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by 400exBro
where i can just buy a new honda which will probably be liquad cooled and probably as reliable as my 400ex but more power...

for all those people who voted to do the 416 kit, why did you choose it over buying the honda 450??

i think Lehr 110 is trying to get at something here becuase he know something:scary: about the honda.... i think it must be good if he is selling a yzf440

no i am selling my 440 due to the yamaha 450...my 440 will be obsolete to the 450 when my dad is done with it:D

400exBro
07-24-2003, 02:45 PM
no i am selling my 440 due to the yamaha 450...my 440 will be obsolete to the 450 when my dad is done with it:D

get some pics when he is done with it... i have seen some nice ones so far at the races, only one, first one in Canada too... they are fast...

RiPPiNiTuP7
07-24-2003, 02:54 PM

2.5k for a 416? your getting ripped bud. on top of that....doing a 416 vs. buyin a new quad is quite a big difference in cost, not to mention a big hassle of selling your old quad, etc.. i got a 400ex....if honda comes out with a new quad...whooptie doo...i will continue riding my ex and having fun like always...theres not a thing wrong with the 400...some say its underpowered, but i am fine with it...and if i crave more power theres a million things i can do to the engine to make it haul balls.

roostin_dale
07-24-2003, 03:26 PM
no one i have seen so far has been able to keep a cannondale running....including me
at nationals they blow left and right the one caught fire while the guy was coming back to his pit from the one practice:eek2:

:eek2: are you serious? I haven't had any problems with mine. Now you know one person that can keep it running..lol

KASCHAK
07-24-2003, 03:26 PM
^
|

exactly thats what im doing.

KASCHAK
07-24-2003, 03:28 PM
2.5k for a 416? your getting ripped bud. on top of that....doing a 416 vs. buyin a new quad is quite a big difference in cost, not to mention a big hassle of selling your old quad, etc.. i got a 400ex....if honda comes out with a new quad...whooptie doo...i will continue riding my ex and having fun like always...theres not a thing wrong with the 400...some say its underpowered, but i am fine with it...and if i crave more power theres a million things i can do to the engine to make it haul balls.

oops not him this one

Lehr 110
07-24-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by roostin_dale
:eek2: are you serious? I haven't had any problems with mine. Now you know one person that can keep it running..lol

do you race with yours?? how often??

roostin_dale
07-24-2003, 05:05 PM
do you race with yours?? how often??

hey..thats a good point!

I use to race nearly every weekend untill my local tracks turned to AMA sanctioned races and i cant race my dale anymore..too young. I do still happen to practice a minnimum of 2 days a week.

400exBro
07-25-2003, 03:18 AM

JE piston 11.1
Sparks, lrd, tc mx cam
FCR 39mm carb
HD spring kit
harden rockers
CRF timing chain
porting
sparks, lrd or tc pipe
bore job
hinson 8 plate clutch set up...
and i think that would be it..

after thinking about it, your right, there is nothing wrong with the 400ex, i am sure that it would be able to keep up with these new quads, especailly since i have to start paying for universty soon, that maybe i will keep the 400ex and just make it better for racing, and just playing around... and later if i do want more power, i will buy a arens CRF/EX frame and get the crf 450 engine... also what esle should i add to my motor list...

i am thinking axis/elka LT shocks all around, JRD +3 lt a arms, and JRD +1 swing arm, fibe hood and pc frame... that should be a nice set up, i might go elka over axis becuase i can get the elka for a lot better price over the axis, plus i am suporting our economy...

250x#93
07-25-2003, 05:30 AM
Def. wait for the new honda;)

400exBro
07-25-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by 250x#93
Def. wait for the new honda;)

what are you trying to say??? you know something that we should know???

Glow Plug
07-25-2003, 05:45 PM
JE piston 11.1
Sparks, lrd, tc mx cam
FCR 39mm carb
HD spring kit
harden rockers
CRF timing chain
porting
sparks, lrd or tc pipe
bore job

after thinking about it, your right, there is nothing wrong with the 400ex, i am sure that it would be able to keep up with these new quads, especailly since i have to start paying for universty soon, that maybe i will keep the 400ex and just make it better for racing, and just playing around... and later if i do want more power, i will buy a arens CRF/EX frame and get the crf 450 engine... also what esle should i add to my motor list...

i am thinking axis/elka LT shocks all around, JRD +3 lt a arms, and JRD +1 swing arm, fibe hood and pc frame... that should be a nice set up, i might go elka over axis becuase i can get the elka for a lot better price over the axis, plus i am suporting our economy...

:D do it! :D

07-26-2003, 07:18 AM
how long is the wait to have sparks build your engine? lol :cool:

trx400ex
07-26-2003, 08:09 AM
JE piston 11.1
Sparks, lrd, tc mx cam
FCR 39mm carb
HD spring kit
harden rockers
CRF timing chain
porting
sparks, lrd or tc pipe
bore job

Trust me, i had everything in your list done and more and my quad was still slower in the straights than all the new quads even a piped kfx 400 beat it..it might make it a little faster but if you do ever dish out 3k on engine work i guarantee you will be disapointed...just get a new YFZ and be done with it:D

dawzie
07-26-2003, 08:13 AM
Just to let everyone know about the YFZ450, we got ours, to make it MX race ready, so far, and this does not include everything, but so far we have $7700 in extra's in this thing. This is to make it race'able in the pro-production class. We havn't touched the frame yet, going to see what happens there.

400exbro and I talked about him buying one of my Dales.

Anyone that has built a MX expert class quad knows how much money it takes and what it takes to maintain it. It will take $10,000 to buy a pro class quad USED

That one Cannondale that caught on fire. The kid that owned that installed the injectors. One came out, Who's fault was that ???

Our Cannondale has given us less problems than our EX ever did. The Walsh/Dale has been flawless with NO broken or cracked frames, motor has never let us down and the Walsh stuff is the top of the line. The only reason we are selling the Dales is that after this year you can't run'em in production class.

Rip_Tear
07-26-2003, 02:48 PM
I voted you get the 416, I know its a lot of money on a gamble but you can't rely on Honda comming out with a new quad, but if you want the new quad, just build it! Nothing better then building your own! I would have this year if I wasn't going off to college this year.

Good luck man!

Glow Plug
07-26-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by trx400ex
Trust me, i had everything in your list done and more and my quad was still slower in the straights than all the new quads even a piped kfx 400 beat it..it might make it a little faster but if you do ever dish out 3k on engine work i guarantee you will be disapointed...just get a new YFZ and be done with it:D

have you ever though that you just can't ride?

400exBro
07-27-2003, 04:48 AM
i figure it will cost me too much to sell my ex and buy the new quad and have to start all over again... plus Adam Parks is going to hook me up with a sweet set up this year...

remember i still have to buy a decent car, and pay my way through Universty, so i am really tight on money, and i want to be able to run in my Class, which most consists of 440ex, raptors and what not, but they are not as highly modified... we are talking stock a arms, no axle, well some do, they basicly have a pipe engine mods and some suspension... and most tracks i race are set up techincal, so the better suspension plus the 416 i will be able to do well... i am probably going to say it is a B style class... i am looking to have a lot of mid range gain, were it pulls the hardest in mid, put still puts a lot of power down low and up top...

btw, sparks isn't building my motor, i am buying the stuff from him, and getting it bored, ported and have a 3 angle valve job done localy and put everything together my self...

400exBro
07-28-2003, 10:51 AM
BUMP!!!!

i still don't know what to do... i always try to go for the best out there, and hate taking the cheap way out of things...

i think that i might keep the ex and then build it up with suspensio and chasis mods then get a yzf426 engine and stick in the frame...

dawzie
07-28-2003, 11:44 AM
We did the YZF in a Lonestar EX frame. Wasn't worth it, kept breaken. Thats when we built the Houser/YZF

400exBro
07-28-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by dawzie
We did the YZF in a Lonestar EX frame. Wasn't worth it, kept breaken. Thats when we built the Houser/YZF
why though???
was it modified to fit in or was designed to fit???

dawzie
07-28-2003, 02:39 PM
It was a Lonestar EX frame modified by East Coast ATV for the YZF motor