PDA

View Full Version : glamis

kwatts400
07-23-2003, 05:59 PM
I want to make a trip out to Glamis, but I live in Delaware. It would be like 3-4 days of driving to get there. Does anyone know of a good way to ship the quads so it wouldn't have to be a 2 week trip. thanks, Kevin.

own2424
07-23-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by kwatts400
I want to make a trip out to Glamis, but I live in Delaware. It would be like 3-4 days of driving to get there. Does anyone know of a good way to ship the quads so it wouldn't have to be a 2 week trip. thanks, Kevin. Yes, you want to do the same thing I did last year. I shipped my quad out to Arizona last year from NJ. I think it was MORE THAN worth it because the dunes are GREAT and ENDLESS and you see the hottest/fastest quads and rails out there. Ship the quad using Forward Air and get some paddles and a whip and you'll be fine.

kwatts400
07-23-2003, 06:24 PM
I went to Silver Lake a few weeks ago, so I have everything I need. How much did it cost to ship them. We were thinking of getting a u-haul for a few days to get them to the dunes. Thanks again.

own2424
07-23-2003, 06:26 PM
$250 to ship my quad, of course you have to crate it! Any more questions, just IM me on AIM... OWn2424...Ill help you out.

own2424
07-23-2003, 06:30 PM
Alright, if you shipped with Forward Air...you cannot ship it from Delaware, there are no PORTS in DE. You can either drop it off in Newark, NJ...Philly, PA...GLen Burnie, MD....or Dulles, VA. But, the problem is that you want to ship your quad back home too, so UHUAL would be the best but TIME CONSUMING. $250 is ONE WAY!

K2Snow
07-23-2003, 06:48 PM
holy crap! another person from Delaware!? I just moved from there about a year ago all the way to Santa Maria, Cali. I lived in Dover for 16 years.

Str8Wicked
07-24-2003, 05:25 AM
Glamis is worth it but go in the winter and don't try to pul a summer trip.... I figure 250.00 is worth it since the weight pulling a trailer will end up costing you moer than that plus the time you will lose....

Dune Surfer
07-24-2003, 07:36 AM
You could buy a trailer and tow it for the cost of shipping it. Let us know when you come and we can show you around. Just make it after Oct. Way to hot in summer

kwatts400
07-24-2003, 07:57 AM
My friend has a 26 foot enclosed trailer. The problem is that it is about a 55hr drive for us. We were just thinkin that it might be an easier trip to make if we could ship the bikes out there and then fly out, rather than drive. Thanksgiving is a possibility, or maybe Jan. What will the weather be like then?

Str8Wicked
07-24-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by kwatts400
My friend has a 26 foot enclosed trailer. The problem is that it is about a 55hr drive for us. We were just thinkin that it might be an easier trip to make if we could ship the bikes out there and then fly out, rather than drive. Thanksgiving is a possibility, or maybe Jan. What will the weather be like then?

That si the reason I said it will be worth it to ship it. It's way to far of a drive hauling a trailer at 55 mph across the US..... That'd be sick to ship them and than fly out...... Sicc.....

Dune Surfer
07-24-2003, 09:04 AM
I get it. Weather is good between the last two weeks in Oct to end of April. You can rent quads in Brawley.

310Rduner
07-24-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
I get it. Weather is good between the last two weeks in Oct to end of April. You can rent quads in Brawley.

Where is that at in town?? When we went through it seemed like i blinked and i missed Brawley..:) Course.. i was way too concentrated on trying to get my first glimpse of the dunes.. first time i'd been there.:blah:

It was hot enough at New Years.. dont even think about a summer ride, we dont want to read about you in a news site:(

thejeepdude
07-24-2003, 11:50 AM
You'd be better off finding a fellow EXRIDER in the Glamis area that would rent or let you borrow their quad for the time you're there! I know if someone was planning a trip to an area around me, and I wasn't going at the same time, I'd rent my quad out to a fellow EXRIDER. Depending on who you were I might want some serious collateral, but it's still something to contemplate... sure beats the headache and cost of shipping a quad there and back... of course if you have a badass quad you might not want to use someone else's p.o.s. :p

own2424
07-24-2003, 02:24 PM
Hey guys, Hope you guys are out at Glamis when I come down there! 2 weeks for Xmas and New Years! Cant wait! My bike is ready to be fired up....:devil:

Str8Wicked
07-25-2003, 07:30 AM
I'm usually there between X-mas & New Years and I got a lil 50cc if you want to borrow... lol

I should have my new YFZ by Nov. to romp out in the dunes this year.....

offroader786
07-25-2003, 08:09 AM
i grew up in san diego and every thanks giving, christmas, halloween, and whenever we felt like riding in the fall or winter we went out there, but if you guys go out there go to ocotillo wells, el centro, and plaster city, if you want more info on riding areas out there go to www.sdorc.org

dariusld
07-25-2003, 09:18 AM
ocotillo wells, el centro, and plaster city It's just my opinion, but these places SUCK, compared to Glamis. If I was on vacation, I wouldn't waste my time at these places.

WyoDuner
07-25-2003, 10:20 AM
If you ship your quad and fly out you still have to have a place to stay. maybe rent an RV for a couple weeks but that is pretty expensive too. Don't forget that you have to crate your quad and that isn't as easy as you may think.

If I were going to fly I would make friends with somebody in CA and rent/borrow something from them. Remember an old 300ex or Warrior will get you around everywhere you want to go but maybe not what you're used to.

Personally, I would drive and save the $500 shipping costs PER QUAD and buy a trailer and just share driving duties with a friend. You could be there in 2 days if you drive non-stop.

own2424
07-25-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by WyoDuner
Don't forget that you have to crate your quad and that isn't as easy as you may think.
If you really think about it, its pretty easy. All I had to do was get a crate from the Yamaha dealer, drain the quad (gas, oil), remove front shocks from top, and take off the rear wheels and your done. I had a pic of my quad in a crate, I just cant find it, maybe I deleted it!?

Str8Wicked
07-25-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by WyoDuner
If you ship your quad and fly out you still have to have a place to stay. maybe rent an RV for a couple weeks but that is pretty expensive too. Don't forget that you have to crate your quad and that isn't as easy as you may think.

If I were going to fly I would make friends with somebody in CA and rent/borrow something from them. Remember an old 300ex or Warrior will get you around everywhere you want to go but maybe not what you're used to.

Personally, I would drive and save the $500 shipping costs PER QUAD and buy a trailer and just share driving duties with a friend. You could be there in 2 days if you drive non-stop.

In Glamis a 300ex can only take you so far... I've maxed out a few 300ex's on dunes before and had a fun time getting stuck 3/4 of the way up from lack of power... There are some huge steep dunes in the back dunes of glamis....

offroader786
07-25-2003, 01:22 PM
darius, how many times have you gone out there?

dariusld
07-25-2003, 01:31 PM
darius, how many times have you gone out there? I've been to Octillo Wells about 5 times, Superstition about 3 times, El centro about, alot.

offroader786
07-25-2003, 01:33 PM
you ever go to the iron door?

dariusld
07-25-2003, 01:37 PM
you ever go to the iron door? No.

Dune Surfer
07-25-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
It's just my opinion, but these places SUCK, compared to Glamis. If I was on vacation, I wouldn't waste my time at these places.

Rockatillo is ok for dirt bikes , but I hate it for quads. just go to Glamis:D