PDA

View Full Version : Mobil 1 10/40 4 stroke motorcycle oil Versus Mobil 1 15/50 "Red Cap"

JD400exrider
07-23-2003, 04:29 PM
Basicly what is says. Looking to switch over from the honda GN 4 honda 10/40 oil to a full synthetic oil for better oil performance.

At the local Kragen auto parts store they had the "red cap" mobil 1 15/50 auto oil that allot of people talk about on here and a Mobil 1 10/40 motorcycle 4 stroke oil. Wondering what the difference is other than the weight.
I did compare the mobil 1 auto oil 15 /50 with another mobil 1 weight and I could not find anything about friction modifiers on either the 15/50 or the other automotive mobil 1 oil (different color cap) I live in CA and wondering if the red cap mobil 1 may be differenct than what allot of you people are using. Ya know that CA has all this smog chit. Gas is different. :ermm:

Would like some help please. The 4 stroke mobil 1 is quite a bit more in price. I guess i am woried a little about having any clutch problems.

MOUSE
07-23-2003, 06:06 PM
because its an aircooled engine and it creates alot of heat i would run the 15/50. i do and have had 0 problems

swamprider7
07-23-2003, 06:34 PM
The 15w50 (red cap) rules! Zero problems with clutch slipping.

07-24-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by swamprider7
The 15w50 (red cap) rules! Zero problems with clutch slipping.

red cap mobile 1 puts the fizzle in my snizzle....:eek2:

MOFO
07-24-2003, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Rico

Yep, red cap 15/50 gives me wood.

I've been using it damn near since day one... no problem's at all. Good stuff... Mobil 1 goes in EVERY motor I own.

Dune Surfer
07-24-2003, 07:49 AM
Red cap 15/50 is the one

AtvMxRider
07-24-2003, 08:46 AM

Yeah I'm with stupid......oh I mean Rico on this one......;)

zephead400ex
07-24-2003, 10:12 AM
$4.77 a quart at Wal-Mart!

peace

norcalatver
07-24-2003, 11:31 AM
Has anyone who has responded actually tried the Mobil 1 that is specifically designed for 4 stroke, wet clutch, motorcycle applications or have you only used the automotive type?

AtvMxRider
07-24-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by norcalatver
Has anyone who has responded actually tried the Mobil 1 that is specifically designed for 4 stroke, wet clutch, motorcycle applications or have you only used the automotive type?

I've used the automotive type since my 400 was new. All those people that tell you that the oil screwed thier clutches up prolly didn't have it adjusted right and are just blaming the oil.

07-24-2003, 12:14 PM

If your refering to the mobil 1 synthetic V-twin oil...yes i"ve used it but it's $7.99 a quart at wally world while the 15-W50 is just about identical at $5.00 a quart. No difference between the two that I could tell besides saving some money for gas...:D

MOFO
07-24-2003, 12:16 PM
If your refering to the mobil 1 synthetic V-twin oil...yes i"ve used it but it's $7.99 a quart at wally world while the 15-W50 is just about identical at $5.00 a quart. No difference between the two that I could tell besides saving some money for gas...:D

word.

07-24-2003, 12:21 PM
15w50 is great :)

norcalatver
07-24-2003, 12:39 PM
The oil I'm talking about, that JD400EXR is questioning, Is called Mobil 1-MX4T full synthetic motorcycle oil. It is specifically designed for competition 4 stroke motorcycle applications.
JD400EXR, if I were you I would either call or email Mobil's customer service center and ask them directly what the difference is between the two oils. That way you can make your own educated decision as to which oil to use. The automotive type or the direct application type.

JD400exrider
07-24-2003, 01:32 PM
I think I will Dave. At 7.88 a quart for the mobil 1 oil for 4 strokes I do want to know if there is a difference. The only thing i have heard is stay away from oil with friction modifiers They will have an effect on wet clutches. The 15 /50 auto oil does not have this in it. Dave i have reading most of the treads on oil and it seems to me if there was a problem with using the "red cap" 15 /50 you would here more about it on here. ;)

The mobil 1 10/40 auto oil has the modifiers in it i beleive. That is why it all about the "red cap" 15 / 50
I am just wondering if mobil corp. would give you a straight answer. At 3 bucks more a quart what do you think they would want to sell ?

norcalatver
07-24-2003, 02:01 PM
I recently had some questions regarding race fuel, specifically for my 12.66:1 compression 493 stroker motor. I asked 4 engine builders, the guy who dynoed my quad, and sales people for recommendations. After varying answers from all these (professional) people I called VP Racing fuels and Trick racing fuels for their recommendation as to which fuel would give me the most horsepower and still be reliable. Both fuel manufacturers agreed as to which fuel was the best for me. Only one person whom I'd spoken to was correct. The Dyno guy. Not even the engine builders knew which fuel was correct. They all told me to contact the fuel manufacturers. By the way, just by adding this fuel, I gained nearly 4 h.p. on the dyno. Sure it is $2.50 more per gallon than the other fuel I was using, but this is my hobby and I'm not afraid to spend $$ on what I love to do!
Hope you get the point of my rambling on! Later :D

JD400exrider
07-25-2003, 08:25 AM
Well i did call mobil 1 today and they said they had to reformulate there oils for the newer SL ratings about a year ago. With the newer formulating the 15/50 has more friction modifers which may effect the clutch. It sounded to me after talking to him the auto oil would have worked fine before the change in the oil.
Who knows I am sure you guys have been running the 15/50 auto oil after it has been reformulated with no problems.
There web site has some good info on there fourstroke motorcycle oils or there phone # is 1-800 662-4525 if you want some more info. www.mobil1.com

07-25-2003, 09:09 AM
I"ve been running mobil 1 syn. for about 2.5 years now with no problems what so ever..

bmw500hp
07-26-2003, 05:22 PM
I recently had some questions regarding race fuel, specifically for my 12.66:1 compression 493 stroker motor. I asked 4 engine builders, the guy who dynoed my quad, and sales people for recommendations. After varying answers from all these (professional) people I called VP Racing fuels and Trick racing fuels for their recommendation as to which fuel would give me the most horsepower and still be reliable. Both fuel manufacturers agreed as to which fuel was the best for me. Only one person whom I'd spoken to was correct. The Dyno guy. Not even the engine builders knew which fuel was correct. They all told me to contact the fuel manufacturers. By the way, just by adding this fuel, I gained nearly 4 h.p. on the dyno. Sure it is $2.50 more per gallon than the other fuel I was using, but this is my hobby and I'm not afraid to spend $$ on what I love to do!
Hope you get the point of my rambling on! Later :D

Hey norclaver:

Missing something here. 4 hp over the initial fuel specified by the engine builder....Background me on how you picked up on the fact you were using the wrong fuel if ya can!

norcalatver
07-26-2003, 06:14 PM
bmw500hp What FDO, (who built my most recent 493), LRD, ( Built my 440), and I also have had Allen Knowles, (CT Racing), build a motor for me, and one other local engine builder recommended is race fuel with a minimum 106 Motor Octane. They just gave me a blanket statement, 106 or more. The problem is every fuel manufacturer designs their race fuel for different applications. So what I learned from VP Racing Fuels for instance, is the C-12 fuel I was using, (motor octane 108), was not the best choice for my four stroke application. For the best performance I should use MR9 or ultimate 4 for my engine. These fuels have a motor octane of less than 100 yet provide way more power than the 108 octane race fuel I was using earlier. Yes I was shocked and amazed that a fuel with an octane less than 100 was not only safe for my 12.66:1 engine, but designed exactly for it. I saw for myself, my quad on the dyno, the difference just by adding the fuel. NOTE: the C-12 I was using was not bad for my engine, nor is any other brands race fuel. This fuel is just better. Also note that ultimate 4 is not AMA legal, so professionals practice on ultimate 4 and race on MR9. It has to do with the oxygen content that gives the fuel its punch. Typical race fuel, I believe, has no oxygen. Since I am not a pro level racer, I can use any fuel I choose. Hope this answers your question. If not, email or call VP, I think their website is VP racing fuels.com

bmw500hp
07-26-2003, 07:32 PM
Thanks Norcal...

Hmm....I will do that. It would seem the oxygenated fuel prevents detontion as do the higher octanes. I would deff like a bit more info on the topic...

Mike at FDO otta love ya. He can break his own dyno record by switching, :D

I will ring them, but if you run into any links on this topic...(forgive if there have been and im duhhh) toss me a link..

thnx.
mike

norcalatver
07-27-2003, 03:12 AM
I would recommend that everyone talk to the manufacturer of the fuel they are using. I know I was surprised to learn that too much octane is not necessarily a good thing. You want the right amount for your individual needs. And all fuels are not created equal!

speedy400
07-27-2003, 02:09 PM
I just got the Red cap 15w 50 today, its a bit spendy but if thats whats needed, thats what I'll do, my dad said something about having to change my oil less because of the fully synthetic. I used to run honda oil and change it about every20-25 hours..Do I still change it that often now that I use mobile 1?thanks-darren

crap-banshee32
07-27-2003, 06:10 PM
i run mobil, 10w 40

speedy400
07-28-2003, 02:19 PM
bump:confused: