PDA

View Full Version : hot cam stage 1 or 2 ?

ridered448
07-23-2003, 03:38 PM
hey im looking into buying one of these cams, from what i got off the hotcams web site it says the stage 2 is only for like MX and desert racing? but ive heard ppl saying even if you arent riding those its still the better cam, im goign to be riding lots of woods and some MX, what are the different power characteristic's of the two? thanks!

07-23-2003, 05:23 PM
Post your mods both current and immediate future etc and how you ride your quad.

It has as much to do with the current motor mods as how you like your power.

For an example I knew I prefered a strong stump pulling low end but didnt remember how much I didnt want a top end hit like the two stroke dirt bikes I used to ride till I had the silencer come apart in Hatfield. Without any back pressure the bottom end power dropped out and the top end picked up. So it would scream in the higher rpms but was a dog on the bottom. Not what I wanted at all.

There is a diff in the two cams and though not as much as my loss of the silencer but if you dont set up your engine and ride style to take advantage of the larger profile cam (dont matter stage2 or wb track cam or who evers cam thats about the same) then the only real increase will be in your ego. Then if your motor is set up to flow more with a intake, exhaust, hi comp overbore piston, porting etc you will not be happy with the stage1 because it wouldnt flow enough (part of the original problem with mine).

Juggalo
07-23-2003, 05:49 PM
i am runnin an r-4 pipe, no airbox lid, no choke, and uni filter with a stage 2 cam. i love this set up. it pulls really hard for a stock bore. its still got great low end (you can't lug it around as easy as stock but the difference isn't very big and the gains more than make up for it) and its got screaming top end. i highly reccomend the stage 2 over the stage 1.

ridered448
07-24-2003, 06:54 AM
ok i have a k&n and megamax slip on, and soon to get edelbrock quiksilver, je 10.8 piston, and a cam

ridered448
07-24-2003, 07:36 AM
oh i almost forgot, i boring it to a 416 when i get the piston....

skemp
07-24-2003, 07:49 AM
I really liked my stage 1 cam. It had awsome low end that carried into the upper RPM's, unlike some other cams I have run. With the stage 2, you lose low end, and gain a lot of top end. This can be good, depending on your riding style. I will tell you that if you like woods riding, I would go with the stage 1. The low end it gives is worth it. I ride a bit of everything, but I often use the top end power that my setup gives me. My motor/gearing setup as of now is this:
11:1 comp.
416 bore
Hotcams Stage 2
Hetrick Full Exhaust
No airbox lid
Hetrick's full race porting
Sparks HD clutch
FCR39 carb
18" Razr MX
16/36 gearing

It pulls HARD, really hard, from bottom end up to top end. I am very, very happy with the results. If I rode woods more, I would have the Stage 1 cam, however. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

ridered448
07-24-2003, 10:24 AM
thank you! very helpful

Juggalo
07-24-2003, 05:16 PM
i do a lot of deep woods riding and while i was in michigan for a week a couple weeks ago i was doin some deep trail riding. i mean extremely grueling challinging trails with tons of ultra tight off camber stuff, big logs to go over, stream crossings with muddy edges, trees that you hand to angle your quad just right to fit between ect, and i had to say i really didn't mind my stage 2. i did find myself having the slip the clutch once in a while just to stay slow enough and keep the R's up but it was no biggy.

bmw500hp
07-24-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by 440EX4me

For an example I knew I prefered a strong stump pulling low end

I really wish you could try this Web-Cam Lenny, It has been designed to be in between the stage 1 and stage 2.

You could call it a 1.5. The low end is super strong with a lift bigger than a stage 1 and a duration slighly under the stage 2. It all the top you could ever want in the woods. This cam is consistently in the top three in a class, Paul Koonz series xc's.

No HD springs, No Hardened rockers...drop in! Web has an undisputable reputation for quality.

skemp
07-24-2003, 08:28 PM
Sounds like an awesome cam. All I know is that every time I ride my quad, I can't help but smile. :D

07-25-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by ridered448
oh i almost forgot, i boring it to a 416 when i get the piston....

Based on all this your prob best off with the stage2 since the mods would out flow the cam (stage1).

07-25-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by bmw500hp
I really wish you could try this Web-Cam Lenny, It has been designed to be in between the stage 1 and stage 2.

You could call it a 1.5. The low end is super strong with a lift bigger than a stage 1 and a duration slighly under the stage 2. It all the top you could ever want in the woods. This cam is consistently in the top three in a class, Paul Koonz series xc's.

No HD springs, No Hardened rockers...drop in! Web has an undisputable reputation for quality.

I think we talked about this cam b4 and it was a similar idea as the web479 with a slightly smaller profile (460 lift ?) and didnt need as much concern to clearences etc. I didnt know it wasnt hardened though so maybe I will have to check it out.

I would love to try it but it never appears on the door step :D

PS. do you have the specs handy?

400-416EX
09-05-2004, 11:01 AM
The stg 1 has more bottem end and ticks alot. The stage 2 has more top end. and it does not tick. I like my stg 2 fro mx