PDA

View Full Version : 42 Pilot jet issues

MikeL250X
01-19-2002, 01:50 PM
Does anyone have a 42 pilot on an ALL STOCK 400ex? I had a **** of a time starting my friends today, I think it's TOO rich for an all stocker. I ended up backing out the pilot adjustment screw out, and messing with that screw that is remotely mounted on the carb (what is that? idle or A/F screw?) it seems to adjust the idle, so between the 2 I got it going.. anyone know how many turns out it SHOULD be, I don't really want to have to mess with it everytime we ride the quad... he plans to get and airfilter and pipe eventually, but most likely not until spring.

mikeboone
01-19-2002, 02:04 PM
I dont see how it can be too rich. The xr400 with identical motor(almost) uses a 50 pilot jet. I have a 42 pilot and removed the choke and it just needs 3 pumps with gas and will fire right up. I dont even have to give it gas while it is warming up. Something else must be wrong. You can use a 42 on a bone stock 400 with no problems. The small screw on the bottom of carb is the pilot screw. It is a pain in *** to get at with carb on though. The silver adj. on the side of carb is for idle.

MikeL250X
01-20-2002, 12:16 PM
Thanks for that info mike, I tried again today with the way I had it yesterday and it wouldn't fire up, I ended up screwig the pilot in more and played with the idle screw and got it going, we'll see tommorow if that way worked since it only has trouble at very cold starts. I have a very small screw driver taht I can barely get on the pilot adj screw with the carb on the quad, it's a PITA but better than taking the carb off.