PDA

View Full Version : Spot or Flood - watts??

stiffy
07-23-2003, 10:09 AM
I am buying Trail Tech lights which one is better spot or flood??
And 50 watts? I mostly ride at the dunes. THANKS

wilkin250r
07-23-2003, 10:17 AM
The best combination is to get one spot and one flood. You get the best of both worlds. With two flood, you can't see stuff far out, and if you have two spots, you can't see the stuff close to you, even if you point one at the ground. Trail tech recommends one spot and one flood.

I don't think you can run two 50w lights. The stock stator only puts out 100 watts, but you can't use ALL of that on your lights. You still need to charge your battery and run the other electrics on your quad.

Your best bet is one 35w flood, and one 35w spot.

JOEX
07-23-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
The best combination is to get one spot and one flood. You get the best of both worlds. With two flood, you can't see stuff far out, and if you have two spots, you can't see the stuff close to you, even if you point one at the ground. Trail tech recommends one spot and one flood.

I don't think you can run two 50w lights. The stock stator only puts out 100 watts, but you can't use ALL of that on your lights. You still need to charge your battery and run the other electrics on your quad.

Yup!... I belive most sets are sold with one flood and one spot. If you do any night riding it is well worth the investment.

Joe

stiffy
07-24-2003, 04:24 AM
Thanks I just e-mailed tech support at Trail Tech and the guy said that he can make a clamp that fit's fat bars or T2's for the 400. Yeah

Dune Surfer
07-24-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

What he said. 35x two one flood one spot. They work really good. I ride at night alot and they are Bright. Order replacement bulbs from rockymountian atv.

MOFO
07-24-2003, 02:09 PM
Are these trailtech lights better than the stock 400EX lights? I do some night trail riding and the more light the better!

JOEX
07-24-2003, 04:37 PM
I have LazerStar lights which i'm sure are basically the same as TrailTech.
They are a billion times better than stock.

The only fault with them is that they sit up higher than the cross bar on the handle bars and the first time you flip over the first thing to go is the mounting bolts. I now have some custom mounting brackets;) :rolleyes:

I'll be working on a new mounting bracket soon;)

Joe

Dune Surfer
07-25-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by VWVR6
Are these trailtech lights better than the stock 400EX lights? I do some night trail riding and the more light the better!

2.5 times brighter and you can point them with your handlebars. They are sweet:D