PDA

View Full Version : Q about Sand Skate IIs and X-treme Haulers

Red Rooster
07-23-2003, 10:08 AM
I am trying to decide what paddles I want to buy for my piped R. I had a 300ex before this, and I ran trakers on it. I still have these tires, and I will probably use them the first time I go up, but Then I plan to buy other tires, because these will most likely be too small.
I have narowed it down to 2 diferant tires, SSIIs and X-treme 8-paddle haulers. Whichever ones I get, it will be in the 20x10-10 size. I ride at the silver lake dunes in michigan. I will probably not modify the motor farther for awhile. Thanks, Nate

310Rduner
07-23-2003, 11:05 AM
i have the 20-10-10 8 paddle haulers, and they can tear up some major dunes..

I havent noticed any problems with side-hilling.. it isnt that hard to do, you just have to give it a little more effort. At Glamis it was pretty fun trying to side-hill.. and if the sand where i ride at was THAT soft.. i would probably have a set of sand skates, because at glamis it was a challenge keeping it sideways.

If the sand is slightly harder, or you are experienced at duning, side-hilling wont be too hard with haulers.

Red Rooster
07-24-2003, 08:31 AM
To someone who has owned both, which is better for straight line drag racing or getting to the top of the dune first? Which is better for sliding/turning? Is there an advantage of one over the other for jumping? I do alot of just cruising around, looking for jumps and and I like to go hauling straight up to the top or the hills and throw a big sheet of sand. Which is the more durable tire? Thanks....

310Rduner
07-24-2003, 10:18 AM
I have the haulers on my bike, and my aunt and mom have the Gecko and Sand sharks on theres.

I do alot of dragging and hillshooting, as well as just cruising for jumps. I haven't noticed a thing about the haulers that makes it harder to jump, if anything it is better because it helps you get major traction going up the hill and you will get up faster and loose less momentum from getting stuck.

I can't tell yet if i like my aunts sand sharks.... they just dont feel aggressive enough to me.

However, i do really like my mom's Kenda Geckos... they get alot more forward traction, as well as having more sidebite than a set of straight line haulers.

If you want something that is good at both, but not the BEST at either... i would get the Geckos.. alot of other duners run them, probably just as popular as the sand skate 2's.

Still tho... i love the feel of haulers. I have run these tires for over 2 years, and they are still holding up GREAT. I have run them occasionally around my front yard just warming my bike up, and taking it over the concrete but there are still no rips or holes or peels in the blades.

If i were to get a new set it would be 20-10-10 9 paddle Extremes.. without hesitation.

norcalatver
07-24-2003, 10:57 AM
I have a set of skat track haulers and a set of skat track edges. The edges don't compare with the haulers in a straight line drag. A couple weekends ago I tore a tread off my haulers causing permanent damage to the tire. So I put my edges on. The first day with my FDO 493, I easily beat my friend on his 440 by 10-15 quad lengths. The second day with the edges, we were dead even every time. The edges definitely side hill much better though. It takes practice to side hill with haulers and its still not nearly as easy. So, I say buy a pair of each so you can run the tire for the riding you are doing at that moment!

H440exconfused
07-24-2003, 11:32 AM
Unless you do primarily draggin, from experience on both of those tires and riding in sivler lake, the SK II are a much better tire for everything but draggin, and they are ok, there too. but the haulers are better in a straight line. SK II are very durable though, Silver lake is considered very soft too.

Red Rooster
07-24-2003, 03:13 PM
Thank you all so much, I can make a more educated decision now. Its gonna be tough...:o :confused:

kwatts400
07-24-2003, 06:06 PM
I had the haulers on my r at Silver Lake a few weeks ago, I liked them alot. I noticed that if I raced a bike without haulers on it, I had an easier time with it. If you like jumping, they will get you up the hill faster. If you like to throw it sideways though, don't get the haulers, get the geckos or skates.