PDA

View Full Version : Which Break In Process??

speedy400
07-23-2003, 04:58 AM
OK I did a search on this site and 1/2 says the traditional way-"break her in easy. It could sieze." and the other 1/2-"Do NOT break it in easy, the rings wont seat properly." Well seems to me there is no proper way. What do you guys think.?:confused: :confused: :confused: -darren

RiPPiNiTuP7
07-23-2003, 05:07 AM
take it easy....use the first few tanks cruising around...making sure to vary the rpms, and no uphill type stuff where your putting the engine under strain....i do all my engines like that and never have a problem...

cals400ex
07-23-2003, 08:09 AM
i say you need to rev it up. i think it is important to change the oil really quick too. i will change the oil with well less than an hour on it after a rebuild. i say rev it through the gears, without flooring the heck out of it, and avoid a constant speed as much as possible.

flyin#5
07-23-2003, 09:21 AM
i say sit there and push your throttle all the way in, in neutral.:cool: :blah: nah i say do it both ways.... run it soft for the first tank and then slightly get harder on it

wgbanks
07-23-2003, 03:19 PM
Check it out.

http://www.extremeoff-road.com/techtips/4strokeenginebreakin.php

sickmojave
07-23-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by wgbanks
Check it out.

http://www.extremeoff-road.com/techtips/4strokeenginebreakin.php

no way i would go thru all of that :huh

jay's 300
07-23-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
take it easy....use the first few tanks cruising around...making sure to vary the rpms, and no uphill type stuff where your putting the engine under strain

Same here ;)

wgbanks
07-24-2003, 05:14 AM
The exact same process is also on the Duncan Racing site. Seems like a few hours of break in would be worth the effort in the end, if it helps the motor. IMHO.
http://www.duncanracing.com/techfaq/Tech_4-stroke-engine-break-in.phtml

TRX_Thumper
07-24-2003, 06:17 AM
this is my way of breakin in new motors.and think about it...you get a new lawnmower...do you take it easy and ride it around 2nd gear 1000 rpms for an hour before you get to cut grass or do you hop on it give it all the gas its got an start cuttin grass?? and how long do lawnmower motors usually last?? as long as the oil is changed every now an then once a year they will last many years

break in process (http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm)

speedy400
07-24-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by TRX_Thumper
this is my way of breakin in new motors.and think about it...you get a new lawnmower...do you take it easy and ride it around 2nd gear 1000 rpms for an hour before you get to cut grass or do you hop on it give it all the gas its got an start cuttin grass?? and how long do lawnmower motors usually last?? as long as the oil is changed every now an then once a year they will last many years

about the lawnmower thing,I'm pretty sure they break the lawn mower in for you somewhat, just like cars.then they leave some extra oil in the gas tank and give it to the owner. plus lawn mowers never need to have the best hp.-darren:ermm:

DEAL
07-24-2003, 09:25 AM
ITs not a smart idea to get on anything new and start cranking on the motor. All motors need some kind of a break in process.
Lawn mower engines are much more simple than quad motors.

Chanman420q
07-24-2003, 09:32 AM
ive heard break her in soft, ive heard keep high revs and ive heard ride it the way its gunna be ridden.....

i say dont go past half throttle til the first tank is through it, then on the 2nd dont go past 3/4s and after that its all cherry:cool:

flyin#5
07-24-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
ive heard break her in soft, ive heard keep high revs and ive heard ride it the way its gunna be ridden.....

i say dont go past half throttle til the first tank is through it, then on the 2nd dont go past 3/4s and after that its all cherry:cool:

thats what iwas trying to say.... do it all ways!

trx400ex
07-24-2003, 12:36 PM

lawnmower engines are not as high performance as the engines we run, the better power to wieght ration of an engine, the more chance that its "higher strung" than another
ex. top fuel drag and crf450r
example 400ex and crf450r
ex.lawnmower and 400ex

when you build for more power you are asking for more maint. dragsters have FULL engine overhauls every run.... an everyday lawnmower can go 15 years

oh yeah and you need to change oil more than once a year on a quad...lawnmowers i would do it whenever i feel like it (every 3 or 4 years)

TRX_Thumper
07-24-2003, 01:40 PM
yeah yeah i know all about lawnmowers im just trying to make a point...ill let my engine warm up for a couple minutes and then hammer down on it

TRX_Thumper
07-24-2003, 01:42 PM
oh yeah and you need to change oil more than once a year on a quad...lawnmowers i would do it whenever i feel like it (every 3 or 4 years)

actually i was meanin as long as you change the oil in the mower once a year it will last pretty much forever....yeah my oil gets changed prolly 15 times a year on the 400

MOFO
07-24-2003, 01:58 PM
Here is my breakin process. My quad still is stock internally and does not burn or blow smoke. Runs smooth as glass...

Fired the mofo up, put my helmet on...rode about 10 min (nothing over half throttle)... local bar. Showed my buddy's my 400EX.... about 15 min. Took it for another spin....around 30 min ride down to another buddy's house..again not much throttle. Rode it home... next day I rode it most of the day....once that tank of gas was gone, I opened the mofo up....WTFO. Its been hammered on ever since...

I didnt change my oil till I had around 5-7 tanks of fuel through it... I've stuck to this oil change since day one.

kxrider
07-24-2003, 02:10 PM
crank it up and idle it for abot 5 min, then kill it and let it sit for like 1 hour, then go ride it for a few hours, and take it realy easy at first then slowly bring the rpms higher adn higher, then let it sit for a few hours and cool completely, then go ride again, ,and ride it not hard but not easy.....:D then get on it

RiPPiNiTuP7
07-24-2003, 02:20 PM
yeah yeah i know all about lawnmowers im just trying to make a point...ill let my engine warm up for a couple minutes and then hammer down on it

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!!!:eek2: :confused2 :ermm:

exrider2002
07-24-2003, 02:40 PM
I say break it in the way you are going to ride when i bought my ex as soon as i unloaded it of the truck i was at wide open throttle in 5th racing a cr125. Every thing i have ever owned i brock it in the way i was going to ride it. last winter i was talking to a guy that took a tour of the ski-doo (snowmobile) plant and he said that when a sled came off the asembly line they hold it wide open for 2min and if it blows up they rebuild it and do the test again and if it stays running they ship it to the dealer. and thats on a 2 stroke snowmobile. so they probably do the same thing with fourwheelers. so what i'm saying is break it in the why you are going to ride it.

TRX_Thumper
07-24-2003, 02:53 PM
yeap thats the one and only way for me...im rebuilding mine with a JE416 piston and hotcams stage 2 im gonna let it warm up then hammer down...after an hour change the oil then let it rip again....ill post how it turns out when i get it done

mikey726
07-25-2003, 01:48 PM
I say break it in like you're gonna ride it . I didn't(I used the ride, cool down, ride, cool down method) and my quad is the slowest of the 400ex's that I ride with, and it has the most motor work too. I don't know if it was the break- in or just one of those things, but when I rebuild it, I'm gonna beat on it.

BigBadJ-400ex
07-25-2003, 07:01 PM
I am by NO means an expert, but I was always told to break an engine in how you want it to run.....fast=fast, slow=slow...

Dune Surfer
07-26-2003, 04:05 AM
Let it warm up fully then ride it hard. Hit the gas then let off. change your oil after the first tank.