PDA

View Full Version : Need computer help!

blondie69
07-22-2003, 12:08 PM
Okay, my brother got a lap top computer here a few days ago, and at start up its sayin:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair

He bought it second hand, its really good, pentium 4, windows xp and all this good stuff. but does he need to get the cd from the dude he got it from or what? cuz we were tryin to get the net hooked up to it the other day and then while its in the lil black screen mode at the start up that message comes up and it won't let u get past that. I've seen that warning on my computer many times, but it jus evernually went away, and it wasn't at startup, it was just a pop up.
Anyone possibly know how to fix it??:confused:

Bretmd94
07-22-2003, 12:12 PM
the file he needs is on the windows cd. Will it open to windows at all? He might need an xp emergency boot disk to get into windows.

blondie69
07-22-2003, 12:16 PM
it stops there. if u click any button it jus restarts and u get that message again. and he never got no disks or anything with it

batgeek
07-22-2003, 12:18 PM
ummm, thats not missing a file...thats missing a whole folder.

you may not be able to recover from this. i'm thinking virus.

your best bet is to slick the drive and re-install Windows.

Bretmd94
07-22-2003, 12:19 PM
oh wow, i didnt look at that closely. Thats the whole system file. :eek: have fun!

MOFO
07-22-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by batgeek
ummm, thats not missing a file...thats missing a whole folder.

you may not be able to recover from this. i'm thinking virus.

your best bet is to slick the drive and re-install Windows.

Yep, get yourself a copy of windows and format that drive... its the only sure fire way to solve Window's related problems. You can patch and update windows all you want, but I find a nice clean re-install works EVERYTIME.

blondie69
07-22-2003, 12:22 PM
haha oh goody:rolleyes: guess who will be the one who will have to install everything *moi* haha. My whole family are computer gimps...they barly can go on the net, lol.

But yeah, he's callin the dude up here in a bit and he's gonna tell him to fix it or something

Oh and thanxs everyone for helping!:D