PDA

View Full Version : Hows this for a 416 setup?

slosh13
07-22-2003, 09:35 AM
I wanted to share my idea for my 416 kit with you and I wanted to hear your commments and opinions. Tell me what you think and If its a good idea....

1. JE/Ross 416 piston kit
2. new cam
3. hardened rockers
4. stiffer valve springs with titanium retainers
5. larger intake valves
6. lowered valve guides
7. some sort of gasket kit( regular or steel flex)
8. port and polish job
9. Maybe a FCR39mm carb ( money pending )
10. heavy duty timing chain ( money pending )
11. heavy duty clutch springs ( money pending )

* I was told by a few engine builders and a few local pros that investing in a "drop-in" cam is wasting your money. They told me that if Im gonna go all out buying a cam that requires hardened rockers and stiffer valves is the way to go and I will notice a larger power difference than a cam that requires OEM hardware. I get beat by 440's, CRF's, raptors, etc all b/c I am the only kid that races my class with a stock motor.:( I want something to build up my motor where i wont lose any reliability and i will have a lot more power. Any help or advice you can give me is appreciated.:D

cals400ex
07-22-2003, 09:52 AM
if you are on a budget, i would get a drop in cam. you will get more performance out non drop in cam, but with the extra money you have to dump in, i don't know if it is worth it. i guess it depends on now much you want to spend. you could get a hotcam or hrc cam (drop in cams) and be able to pass stock raptors with some bolt-ons. i really don't know much about larger intake valves. i have actually seen minor losses in power with increasing the size of the valves. however, i am not an expert in the valve category so others can chime in there. i would think the timing chain is needed with going all out with the "larger" cam, springs, rockers etc. depending on what type of racing and riding technique, a new clutch will need to be purchased sometime. there are several people on this site running drop in cams with great success. to me, the price difference with what you all need to buy is not worth it to me. to you, it may be. however, this setup your considering looks pretty sweet. good luck with your decision.

Glamis400ex
07-22-2003, 03:29 PM
I noticed a HUGE power increase with my JE 416 10.8:1, hotcam 2, and porting.

It absolutely rips. Trust all the folks that have that combo on here.

Glamis