PDA

View Full Version : anybody know of a place to get old dirtbike plastics?

Mattman88
07-22-2003, 07:32 AM
i was wondering if anyone here knows where to get NICE plastics for a 1979 yz125 (laugh all you want). im looking into buying an old 79 for a cheap price and the plastics look very crappy. so i was wondering if any of you guys knew where to get old NICE LOOKING plastics or how to get new plastics for a new yz and somehow make them fit on the old one. today i called a yammy dealer and asked if you could put new plastics on a 79 yz and he said no it wouldnt work. but i think that it can be done so please help me with what to do.

hondafox440
07-22-2003, 07:35 AM
In that year I believe the "plastics" were still metal. But check on Ebay for parts..

BlazingYamahaYz
07-22-2003, 12:47 PM
ebay, or try your local dealer, (chances are they wont have any in stock:rolleyes: ) but they may be able to order 'em, or something that would work.....my last bike was an 89 yz, and it had 1997 yz plastic on it, the guy just had to do some "custom" work to make it fit, but it worked out alright.....

MxDale71
07-22-2003, 01:57 PM
Plastic renew?

BlazingYamahaYz
07-22-2003, 02:07 PM
first i would try goo gone, since that worked awesoem on my bike, just let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe it off.....turned my pitch black carbon covered rear fender into a cloud white in only a matter of minutes:D

Mattman88
07-22-2003, 04:36 PM
ive got a couple more questions. first off what is goo gone and what does it do? ok when i talk to the dealer he said he couldnt help me out becuase the bike is so old but i think they may fit or be able to be slightly 'modded' to fit. also would a newer yz125 seat fit and a set of newer yz pipes fit? and could i get handle new handle bars for it. the reason i want this bike is because it is cheap but i would like to add the things i have listed so im wodering if i could get stuff for that even if its older or if im screwed in getting that old bike. i think i can find a way to work it out but im not 100% sure.

Mattman88
07-23-2003, 02:38 AM
does anybody have any ideas if the newer parts will fit on older bike(79)

BlazingYamahaYz
07-23-2003, 03:46 AM
goo gone is kinda like a liquid, its in a squeeze bottle....and basically it cuts through the grease and grime....makes it look way better.....im sure u could get newer handlebars for it.....and maybe, there is some guy around u that has been doing work on bikes and quads for years, and has his own little shop....cuz there is one guy by me, and he can get ANY part for ANY bike or atv...ANY year.....he got me alot of 74 xl125 parts.......and all REALLY cheap, wayyy less than the dealers.....

hondafox440
07-23-2003, 03:47 AM
No, they won't. The bikes are so completely different. Why don't you just get correct parts for it. Your dealer SHOULD be able to order them. If the one you're going to now can't, try another one. Yamaha still manufactures parts for those bikes, just in small quantities.

bigbadbrad
07-23-2003, 07:17 AM
maier should have your fenders, maybee the scoops and side panels too, and dg should have a pipe/siclencer.
if maier does not have the fenders, oder some universal fenders from them.

Mattman88
07-23-2003, 09:41 AM
i know you are saying the dealer should have the parts for this older bike but in smaller quantities. maybe other dealers will have parts for and old 79 yz125 and maybe this dealer was just gay i dont know. ill look around for a guy that has done work and can get parts for anything. ill still look for more dealers that may have the RIGHT parts

bigbadbrad
07-24-2003, 03:52 AM
i am sorry it is not maier with the universal fenders it is ufo