PDA

View Full Version : Wiring question (Deep)

Jay300ex
07-22-2003, 05:52 AM
Ok here is the situation. Put a CR250 Kill switch on for a start switch. Cut the wires for the lights ( indicator lights as well ) and the switch works. It turns over, but won't fire. It isn't getting spark. I have the 2 wires for the clutch switch together. The wires for the indicator lights and the tail light are not hooked to anything.

Okay. Now it's not getting spark and firing. I have 2 things I think might be wrong. First, the 2 black wires that go to the indicator lights ( I would assume are the return wires ) Right now they are connected. But I don't think they should be, should they connect to the black wire for the switch? Or should they be apart?

Second thing that is in mind is the light dimmer on the starter switch. I don't know if there can be anything in there that should be connected or not. I hope not cause I cut them short.. but oh well.

Can anyone give me any advice thats good with wiring and has the diagram so they can see what I am talking about ( though the 400 and 300's should be the same thign cept there isn't a reverse inhibitor box on the 400s. )

Thanks guys

Jay

thumpa6x
07-22-2003, 06:36 AM
the cr kills use the handlebar to ground. put some black tape around the bar to stop it from grounding.

Jay300ex
07-22-2003, 07:35 AM
That is done already

Any other ideas?

JabberJaw
07-22-2003, 08:01 AM
I bet if you take off the gas cap...hold a match over it to check the fuel level.....she'll fire right up! Be sure to wear a fireproof suit!

wilkin250r
07-22-2003, 09:25 AM
I don't know for sure, but there is a possibility that the kill switch is not the same. Normally closed vs normally open.

Jay300ex
07-22-2003, 07:01 PM
Well the switch acts the same way, it's just there isnt a headlight dimmer. Which may be the problem. Other then that it turns right over, just no spark.

Jay

Ralph
07-23-2003, 03:40 AM
what did u do for a kill switch, u need to do something about the stock killswitch wires...

Ty's400
07-23-2003, 04:00 PM
Make sure that all wires are connected together and if you took wires out for like the parking brake that you put something in to replace it so that you still have a complete circuit. (Hope you understand...hard to explain:ermm: ) I just know that when I cut my wires for my parking brake I just took them out and it wouldn't start because the cdi box didn't have a full circuit.

Jay300ex
07-23-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Ty's400
Make sure that all wires are connected together and if you took wires out for like the parking brake that you put something in to replace it so that you still have a complete circuit. (Hope you understand...hard to explain:ermm: ) I just know that when I cut my wires for my parking brake I just took them out and it wouldn't start because the cdi box didn't have a full circuit.

What do you mean parking brake wire?

The 2 wires that go to the neutral and reverse lights I thought had to be connected together. I looked at the kill switch I removed and the only wires comming out of the switch for the actually engine kill are 2 black ones. The 2 black ones that I tied together. ( The owners manual says connected for run position of the switch )

I do understand what you mean about the complete circuit thing here. I was just hoping that someone that did this mod before could breif me on their wiring.

Jay

Ty's400
07-24-2003, 07:02 AM
Ya hopefully someone out there can help you out. The button I used was a Yamaha one (I think), because it was square (looked good) and my mechanic that put it on said it looked to be the easiest one to use.

nakomis0
07-26-2003, 06:23 AM
I just looked this over a little but it sounds like somewhere spark is grounding out before it gets to the coil.

I would remove the spark plug , ground it to something, and basically just set it up so its easy to see when u get spark. Then just play with a few wire combinations till u see some spark.