PDA

View Full Version : I got to ride the new YFZ450!!!!!!

dirtmomma
07-22-2003, 05:27 AM
OH man all I can say is hold on!!!! We just got back fromt he ATV jamboree in Wallace ID (I'll have pics soon) our neighbor in the RV park let me drag race my hubby who was oh his 400 & I was on the 450 & I went smokin by him he even said (not good for his ego LOL) that thing revs soooooooo high i started off in 1st gear & had the throttle pegged on take off!!!! I was very impressed w/ this quad.

I'll do another post on the whole jamboree soon w/ some pics so check back (too tired right now)

trx400ex
07-22-2003, 06:08 AM
Awesome, i cant wait to ride one

QuadJunkies
07-22-2003, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
OH man all I can say is hold on!!!! We just got back fromt he ATV jamboree in Wallace ID (I'll have pics soon) our neighbor in the RV park let me drag race my hubby who was oh his 400 & I was on the 450 & I went smokin by him he even said (not good for his ego LOL) that thing revs soooooooo high i started off in 1st gear & had the throttle pegged on take off!!!! I was very impressed w/ this quad.

I'll do another post on the whole jamboree soon w/ some pics so check back (too tired right now) Troy drag raced a few and they are very fast!!!!!!:eek: :blah: Cant wait to hear all about your trip!

250EXking
07-22-2003, 07:03 AM
yeah someone posted movies on here not to long ago. the yfz smoked a tricked z like it was going out of style and it held its ground with souped up shee pushing 80 hp. it only lost by a quad length. not bad for a stock bike.:devil:

2000ex
07-22-2003, 08:52 AM
I took a friends for a good ride this past Sunday and really have nothing bad to say about the machine. Great power, ergos,controls, etc. He had removed the spark arrestor, airbox lid and rejetted. The motor pulls like my 416 from low to the midrange, however the bike absolutely rips mine apart in the upper midrange and the top end.

I took it for a brief initial ride just getting a feel for it. I knew the motor would be a potent performer, but I was interested in how it really handled. He let me take it for a longer ride later in the day and I put it through the paces on some woods trails and all I can say is WOW! Finally Yamaha has got their chit together and built a complete package. It handled like it was on rails and the stock suspension soaked up hits like my works triple rates. The other thing that I really liked was the controls. The clutch and brake levers and feel are phenominal. They make the any other stock quad controls look like toys. Very nice touch...

Well, here are a few drags we posted in the Where to Ride forum...We ran them on an abandoned paved airport runway so traction was not an issue :cool: The runs against the Raptor are the best, as the Raptor is 11:1 compression, stage 1 cam, and piped. They ran neck and neck all day. Extremely impressive for a stock machine. My 416 held its own against it despite him running off the road :devil: Clearly that guy in the modded Z in that video had no idea how to ride :o

416 vs YFZ Round #1 (http://home.comcast.net/~3jcmjr/YFZVS416EX.wmv)
416 vz YFZ Round #2 (http://home.comcast.net/~3jcmjr/YFZVS416EX2.wmv)
Modded Raptor vs YFZ #1 (http://home.comcast.net/~3jcmjr/RapVSYFZ1.wmv)
Modded Raptor vs YFZ #2 (http://home.comcast.net/~3jcmjr/YFZVSRaptor2.wmv)
Modded Raptor vs YFZ #3 (http://home.comcast.net/~3jcmjr/YFZVSRaptor3.wmv)

hawiianpwr
07-22-2003, 10:23 AM
all three raptor videos are of the second race with the 416ex

remlapr
07-22-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Troy drag raced a few and they are very fast!!!!!!:eek: :blah: Cant wait to hear all about your trip!

Has he dragged one with a pipe against his Predator? I would be very interested to hear who won...

2000ex
07-22-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by hawiianpwr
all three raptor videos are of the second race with the 416ex

All the links should be correct now ;)

KevinM
07-22-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by 250EXking
it held its ground with souped up shee pushing 80 hp. it only lost by a quad length. not bad for a stock bike.:devil:

Surely you don't believe that could happen do you?

07-22-2003, 04:09 PM
250ex king must be on something cuz there is no way that a yfz will keep up with a 80hp shee. I think that this wuad is all hype but its just me.

QuadJunkies
07-22-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by remlapr
Has he dragged one with a pipe against his Predator? I would be very interested to hear who won... Im not gonna lie......The 450 won in the drag....:( Im thinkin it will be a bit more tough once his Predator gets a Vortex put on it, right now with the set up,it revs out sooooo fast,its got alot of power to push ,but taps out WAY too fast,shifting before it even has time to give it what its got.....ITs a fast quad.,I was in total shock just how fast it gets up!:eek2: ...But personally I have my reservations on a few things like the A-Arms for one.:ermm: They will work out all the bugs over time Im sure.Even though its fast and light, I would still pick the Predator over it any day..:)

86350x
07-22-2003, 07:31 PM
Ok They need to put 'some assembly required on that motor.

When I first got my 426 with all the restrictors on it, I thought it was a dog. My built up cr 125 would pull it though the gears. It ran just like a unkorked stock xr 400. I don't think the new 450 has the throttle stop like my bike did, (it only opened a little over half throttle) and it had the dreaded butt plugg in the muffler. Not sure if it has the wr or yz ignition mapping either. The wr exhaust cam would be much better for a quad, and I also like it better on my bike. You can change the ignition mapping just by removing the grey wire from your cdi (pretty easy to do) Removing the butt plugg helps, and ordering a 165 mainjet (get the yz part number different needle taper) and remove the top of the air box while your at it.

It's a completely different bike,wwaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy faster, and more fun to ride, but man is it loud. You wonder how you could have lived without it.

I really love that five valve motor.

twisted threads
07-22-2003, 11:07 PM
The YFZ sounds like a awsome quad. This weekend im going down to the dunes and I hope I see one there so I can see how fast they are in person.:cool: