PDA

View Full Version : hey guys i really need your help on this one

yellowrider
01-18-2002, 06:33 PM
ok i found out what was wrong with my 300ex i just need a new clinder..

what i am asking you since its already apart do you guys and girls think i should get a different piston i do not want to bore it out but i want more power.

*also i dont want to make my 4 wheeler less reliable i just want a little power difference, thats worth the money.

what would you all do please answer tonight cause i have to tell them by tomorrow moring:( what i want done to it they already orded me a cylinder and rings i dont think they got me a new piston . i heard lighter it is the better it runs is that true please someone that can help me out on this please reply soon

also i got some maxxis all-tracks 22inch

i am welling to get a pipe if you think its needed if i get a lighter piston

400exBro
01-18-2002, 06:55 PM
i would go with je piston and go one comparsion size higher and you'll get some power. Works better if you get a cam as well you'll really notice a difference.
hope this helped

yellowrider
01-18-2002, 06:57 PM
well i dont really need a cam;.. cause right now mine is fine what i need is a new piston :0 so if i get a wisco piston would it run cooler since its lighter and gain more power?? what are the pros and cons

01-18-2002, 07:00 PM
higher compression = more heat. Also more power. Definitely will not run cooler.

yellowrider
01-18-2002, 07:10 PM
oh so its not really worth getting if i am going to keep my stock cam and do mostly gravel pits and trail ride?? and go through some creeks i just want somethoing reliable

where is the line between power and reliable when putting in a new piston ?

NJ300ex
01-18-2002, 07:52 PM
how can you need a new cylinder. Why didn't you just bore it. It would have cost a whole lot less and you would have gotten more power.

01-18-2002, 08:01 PM
He said it was under warranty so it didn't cost him anything.

yellowrider
01-18-2002, 08:09 PM
hey when i got home from school they left a message and i had to call them back they all ready orded it for me . i didnt know anything was wrong that was that serious waht i am asking what is the bes t piston can anyone help me?

yellowrider
01-18-2002, 08:11 PM
hey well if i cant get no good informatioin i guess i jsut get stock i guess tis ok i dont know do you think 100 dollars just for a wisco piston is good investment or just wasting my money

Leo
01-18-2002, 08:56 PM
you could easily have them put in a higher compression piston while it's apart..

if you went with a slightly higher compression piston you should be fine.. noticeable power gain, without sacrificing very much reliability.. (assuming you keep up on oil changes, etc..)

it's really up to you..

Leo

01-18-2002, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't get a wiseco I hear a lot of people with horror stories about wiseco's seizing up and cracking and on and on. Like 400exBro said you should go with the JE piston, a piston is defiantly something you don't want to go cheap on. Pop in an 11:1 JE get good power gains keep up on maintenance, when you get the $$ get a pipe and cam and you will be happy with your new found power.

yellowrider
01-18-2002, 10:45 PM
ok if i get that piston JE i can stil use regular gas right?
and when i get a pipe and cam i t will really wake up right?

01-18-2002, 10:49 PM
Don't go any higher than 11:1 compression and you can run normal 93 octane gas.

Yes if you add the pipe and cam to the high compressin piston you will really notice a major difference.

yellowrider
01-18-2002, 10:51 PM
how much do JE pistons cost?? i only have like 350 bucks and some of that is going on those tires they ordered for me.
i would really like some extra power .

is there anything bad about having to much comprssioon. with a stock cam and pipe? is there something i dont know >> like waht is je piston supposed to be ?? is it supposed to be light weight also ? or supposed to make it accelrate faster or ssomething? i really dont know but thanks for all your help so far..

i have a scrambler that i iwish i didnt bore it over and now it sucks and it never runs the smae . one day it can run good next bad not dependable.. i just want something simple for my 300ex to feel some power gain. is it worth the extra bucks?? would i need new head gaskets? or anything what would i have to change... is there anyting i can get for it to run cooler if i did that besides a oil cooler ..

like something that could catch some wind and blow it on my motor??? i htink they make them for the 250r i am not for sure.. i just heard somebody talk about it one day..

01-18-2002, 11:03 PM
Yea you need all new gaskets if your taking the top end apart. You can do a few things to make it run cooler, highlifter.com has some stuff to make your motor run cooler, but it shouldn't bother with what little you would be doing to the motor.

A cam is $105 for a web cam from James Lucky + a good cam.

The piston won't be over $140 i don't think.

JE is a brand of piston. Just go for JE 11:1 it will give it more bottom end power torque.

The reason the scrambler doesn't run good is because its a polaris LOL JK JK :D

yellowrider
01-18-2002, 11:17 PM
i am going to tell you somthing about that scrambler... that thing was awesome when it worked stong bottom end and top end that thing was fast it just broke alot..

they said that my gaskets on the 4 wheeler are go0d and when the cylinder messed up the gaskets was still fine.

so the JE piston is just for bottom power?? so i will be loosing the top power if i change the piston.

which one will last longer honda piston or JE PISTON. i mean i dont have any clue about pistons i know my scrambler has wesico and i thoughht they where good . ....

well is there anything else i should know??? like will it give me a better overal hp or just at the bottom .. how much horse power is it likly to get ?

yellowrider
01-19-2002, 06:23 AM
well i am not as mad now it only snowed a couple of inches we are going to get osme anti freeze and try to tune up my scrambler it will not idle right,,

you give its some gas and it hesistates, then you hold d0wn the gas its good and when it idles it will do it for about 10 secs then it dies.. its really annoying.

well anyways does anybody know obout the high compressioin piston if it is worth it or not and how much hp it will add to its self

Chef
01-19-2002, 10:32 AM
you wont lose top end power with a high compression piston, go 11:1 JE like killer said, then buy exhaust when you have the money then a cam.

NJ300ex
01-19-2002, 11:02 AM
I am pretty sure JE doesn't make pistons for the 300ex.

01-19-2002, 12:49 PM
I would go with je piston . It works better if you get a cam as well you'll really notice a difference.

yellowrider
01-19-2002, 03:50 PM
i talk to my dealer he said it woulndt make a big difference and it will screw up my new warranty they are giving me a extr 6 months just on the motor that sounds good.

they are going to add a e series pipe they said they can get me 4 horsepower with it and i will feel a difference only thing i have to do is get a pipe i dont have to pay for labor or anything that really souds nice. we sit and talk about it for a while and we both came to a conclusion that when i need more power come back to him and he will hook me up with a nice race bike..

hey also said since i am getting a new air system and jetting will improve and he said that i could get a 14 tooth sproket with that and still have the same amount of power as i did when it was stock or more.. he is a really nice guy... its a total of 612 dollars that is cool.. i got new tires and all and a pips for that much .. i think air system was included i am thinking about getting uni what do yuo recomend .

I HATE k n they suck ! i got it on my scrambler..

oh well today i got my scrambler out by pull starting it my battery is dead :( also i got around the other side of my garge and it didnt start no more it was hard pushing it back through snow about broke my arm pull starting it i hate that piece of junk.

anybody wanna buy it

CHEAP !!

400exBro
01-19-2002, 05:28 PM
sounds like an awsome deal i wish i had a dealer around here that would do that for a costumer...:D
E-seris pipe with the jet gives nice power gains and it has a nice bark. I am running K&N filter with the pre fliter and it has no problems so far just got to clean it every time you ride in sand or any other fine dusted area.
Good luck with your 300ex
Ow ya if you like uni it is a good filter, but stock filter is the best, i rate the following:
1)Stock filter
2)twin air
3)Uni
4)K&n

It revrse it self when it comes to power gains
hope i helped out
lata
400exBro

yellowrider
01-19-2002, 09:43 PM
well keeping my stock air system is better ????
i didnt know that crap i have to call them back tomorrow agian anyays i might as well tell then not to put on the uni...

anyways my dealer or service manager that is what he is anyways he is the only nice one, besides the one who sold the 4 wheeler to me i meet him on a couple of trail rides and he seemed nice to and gave me some tips that helped out alot.

R-Crazy
01-20-2002, 05:19 PM
i have kn filter and as long as i keep it closed and clean, it works fine. the sproket is well worth the 20 bucks or less. i have it on my 300 and it is great. my next investment on my bike will be tires just cuz the stock ones suck. i dont know what i want to get. what kind are you getting?

dave

300EX-Man
01-20-2002, 05:40 PM
my k&n is great on my 2002 300ex. i got the e-series pro-meg pipe and the power kit(wit jetting) and it really woke up

tires- get 20 or 22 inch maxxis razr's: great all around and light
18's for mx

300EX-Man
01-20-2002, 05:41 PM
in the straight, i run with a stock 400 untill we hit fith gear

yellowrider
01-20-2002, 06:23 PM
Dang!! i hope i didnt get the k and n power kit... when i ask him to put the pipe on he said something about rejetting it. and i said yeah go ahead..
later on in the conversation i told him i didnt like kn so i hope he just got me the jets.

if you kept up with a 400ex what kind of motor mods do you have??

by the way i got maxxis all trak the dealer said that the all traks last long. grip well in all types of terrian and he also said he used to race with them. he also said they are almost like sur trak and he said those where a really good mud tire.

well i got the white bro pipe pro meg how many disc did yours come with?? did you loose any top or bottom end?? oh what is your gearing ratio i think now i am going to try something new.. by the way i just got the stock piston i know i might regret that . but they are going to give me a new 6 month warranty so i thought that i would just stick with stock.

well i gotta go now i am trying to call some friends see if they have extra spark plugs for my scrammy

TRX250EXER
01-20-2002, 11:26 PM
You made a good choice on getting the e-series pro meg. I only have the s-bend and I now wish I had a better header too. One of my buddies has the pro meg on his 300ex. And he has the K&N filter. The K&N will flow the best and give the best power gains but the Uni will filter better and wont have to clean as often. Anyways his 300ex dont have any internal engine work done and it runs nice. The pipe is really really loud though. They come with 12 disks but I think he has only 8 or 9 in it. The less the more bottom end and the quicker it'll be. For my 250 it only came with 8 I think and I just kept them all in and It seems I got power gains all around. But not sure top end wise but it feels faster.
And about the scrambler, it just sounds like it needs rejetted. If full throttle works then dont change the main jet. play with the needle and the mixture. I had the same problem with mine while trying to rejet. The pilot affects idle and the needle effects mid to 3/4 throttle and the Main effects 3/4 to full throttle. What'd your plug look like? And if you still want to get rid of it I have a friend that likes those dang things, how much you asking and what year is it?

yellowrider
01-21-2002, 12:13 AM
i dont kow let me go check i have like bucket full of them...

they are black

on your friends 300ex
if he does a wheelie and screws up wll it hit the eseries pipe??
or is it fine with the stock grab bar?

TRX250EXER
01-21-2002, 01:18 PM
We ride wheelies all the time and we both have the e-series. It dont hit. But he recently broke his grab bar off and it probably would now. lol. but mine does too because I bent mine in and sometimes if you do flip it back some grass will get in the end cap. But stock is fine if its not bent like mine. Im gonna build one myself sometime with my welder when I get a chance. they are too expensive just for some aluminum that will break the first time they get hit hard. So my opinion is they arent worth it.

01-21-2002, 02:12 PM
There is a reason grab bars aren't super heavy duty. If you build yourself a big strong one then instead of your grab bar bending the back of your frame will bend.

300EX-Man
01-21-2002, 07:34 PM
Yellow Rider

"if you kept up with a 400ex what kind of motor mods do you have?? "

we raced at the fairgrounds in my town, it is huge, we did it many times cause i beat him to this pole, because we barely hit fith. and he has spider tracs to my stockers.

i have no engine mods, just a 118 main jet, k&n w/precharger, and a E-ser. pro meg w/5 disks.

we had a kid say "go" for us, i would beat him or we would be neck and neck untill he hit 5th, and then he would walk away from me

yellowrider
01-22-2002, 05:09 PM
hey i didnt mean to sound mean it was just when you said that it made me think what shanon said (he has a raptor ) and he said that i did just as good as the people with 400ex that he raced... i konw i had no chance we just mess around alot. and by the way he istn a really good drive r he is also selling the 4 wheeler for 5000.00 he lost the radator cap and fliped it over 3 times thats it other than that its ok i think... oh sometimes it wont idle right but hey the tranmission is good . :)

hey was going to trade if for a 300ex but i start to think about how he rides we he came along with us and i said nope. and asking myself why would he want to trade his 660 for my 282?? that would be really stupid on his part but oh well

i am glad that everything is over with now i got everything i wanted from the start..... now i just want to sale that polaris come on somebody i know somebody wants it just think smokin your friend on his modded 250r how good that would be......

01-22-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by yellowrider
now i just want to sale that polaris come on somebody i know somebody wants it just think smokin your friend on his modded 250r how good that would be......

Not to be rude but that Polaris is not going to even come close to beating a stock 250R, never mind a modded one. I have raced scramblers with my stock 250R and the Polaris didn't stand a chance.

R-Crazy
01-22-2002, 06:41 PM
250R's haul some serios butt! 2 stroke. not to be rude, but unless your scrabler is truly modded out, u may barely keep up with a stock 250r. if you can, d*mn you have a fast scrabler.
sorry if i was rude, but its the truth.

dave

01-23-2002, 07:41 AM
I had a modified polaris sport 400L 2 wheel drive ,,and use to eat LT250's up..and it could keep up with CR 125's..never raced a 250R so I don't know what it would do there.. but by all means it was a polaris but it was quicker than a hickup..:D