PDA

View Full Version : 400Ex Smoking???

mikeboone
01-18-2002, 04:40 PM
I recently got my 400 back from 416 bore and new cam. I ran bike a couple hours and changed the oil. I ran out of my good oil so I put in 2 qts of Havoline 10-40. I started it up and it started blowing smoke out the exhaust like a two stroke! It only did this at start up and when warmed up it went away. Whats UP??? I drained that oil last night and refilled with Motul. It still smoked at start up today. Is it going to pass when I get all the Havoline out? I checked the dip stick when the havoline was in and the oil had lots of bubbles in it!! has anyone had this problem before? Thanks for replys.

trx400ex
01-18-2002, 08:02 PM
ive had this problem , it was after my quad sat in the garage for about 6 weeks while we were changing arms and axles, i just changed the oil and rode it , after a while it went back to normal, if tis REALLY bad , i would get it checked out...

big-guy
01-19-2002, 12:16 AM
I might expect a little smoke until the rings are fully seated. Just ride it, and keep an eye on it. And what color was the smoke? Blue is burning oil, Black is fuel. It may just be a little rich at start up.
as for the foamy oil, this is normally due to too much oil in the crank case, being whipped by the crankshaft, but I don't know if that would apply to a dry sump system.

01-19-2002, 08:58 AM
probabbly nothing to worry about. after a re-build, there is probably oil in the top end. what Big-guy said seems to be accurate.

01-19-2002, 03:39 PM
yea, mi 440 smoked bad afeter my newgasket, iblew the old one. It is because u proably had oil in the top end or in the pipe, jus ride it for a while, it will go away once the oil i burnd

TrX465
01-19-2002, 07:05 PM
just keep an eye out you should be fine, i think i really dont know i would have to see it to give you a better reponse if you think its to bad then take it in...

mikeboone
01-22-2002, 04:52 PM
Could it be a stuck valve? I am taking it back to shop tomorrow but this is a pain in ***. It makes a CLOUD of blue smoke until it gets warm the it tapers off to none. ???????????? :confused: