PDA

View Full Version : New shocks? New A-Arms whats the best?

08-11-2001, 02:01 AM
Hey guys,

Ok as far as shocks and a-arms go I am completely clueless. I have heard the brand names alot. But still don't really know alot about them. Ok what is a good shock that will lower my atv but still be good for mx racing? And if I get new shocks on the front and they lower the front, what about the back? Will I have to do something there? I don't want to be going around with the front down and the back all the way tippedup.

A-arms if I get new shocks I guess new a-arms are in the picture too. Besides people tell me they are not that great anyway... So what do you recommend? Lonestar ect?...

Oh ya what does all this +2 +1 stuff mean I am confused there.

Thanks,
Circa

AlaskaSpeed
08-11-2001, 10:14 AM
It is all subjective to a point on which shocks or arms are better. Your question will probably get you a ton of answers that don't help you at all. I have the Elka shocks, front and rear. They are equivalent to Zero Preload, Elka calls it Self Sagging Device. This allows your quads ride height to be adjusted and sit lower, while still giving you full shock travel. I chose Elka because of the value they offered compared to Custom Axis. Elka shocks are made with the CNC anodized aluminum, 5/8" shafts, and perform very nice. You can go to www.elkasuspension.com and check them out for yourself. Also, go to the links page and go to Shoc Connection...they have some good FAQ's about shocks in general. As for A-arms, I don't have any as of yet, but I think that you will never go wrong going for the best VALUE. Don't worry so much about the name brand that is out there as you do the value you are getting. The +2 +1 would refer to +2 inches wider and +1 inch forward than stock......hope this helps, JIM

Dave400ex
08-11-2001, 10:16 AM
The PEP ZPS shocks would be good for you. They are zero preload, which means it makes the quad sit lower but when your in the air the shocks fully extend to soak up everything. They cost $895. The rear you wouldn`t really need to but it would help a lot. PEP makes a conversion for the stock rear shock because there`s nothing wrong wiith the stock one. It`s fully adjustable. The conversion to match the front shocks is $400. Now if you get shocks you should get shockwears too. I would go with Laeger a-arms. Most of the Pro`s run Laeger and he has been around the longest. I think Lonestar is to expensive, and are not that good. Laeger`s are $578. Plus 2 is the width you gain each side. So if you get plus 2, your gaining a total of 4 inches up front. Plus 1 is the forward. The plus one forward is like adding a plus 1 swingarm. You can get all of those parts from Nac`s Racing. The total is 1873 for all the parts I listed. I think you half to get extended brake lines too. Those are $99.99. Now your up to 1973. I think you would love your quad more with these mods. It would feel like a totaly different quad. $2,000 and you have one bad mx, cross country, racing quad.

kabd69667
08-11-2001, 12:33 PM
I like how warriorman put it. PEP zps fronts and have them do the rear. Then, JB arms, CHROME, 550. Swingarm, JB, CHROME, 550.

Foxrage
08-11-2001, 01:13 PM
PEPS AND HOUSER!!!!!!! They Are the shizzzz nit.

Dave400ex
08-11-2001, 02:16 PM
What are JB`s? I would go with Laeger a-arms.

kabd69667
08-12-2001, 04:14 PM
They are a company that produces chassis products

Dave400ex
08-12-2001, 10:26 PM
I`ve heard of JD Performance but not JB. I would still go with Laeger.

08-13-2001, 06:48 AM
Houser racing hands down.....

08-13-2001, 05:40 PM
Baldwin MotorSports have Laeger's in stock ready to ship.

http://www.baldwinmotorsports.com/instock.htm

Later

08-13-2001, 09:06 PM
The best a-arm/shock setup has to be the Roll Lobo a-arms with Custom Axis shocks. The only thing about them is that you want the a-arms, you have to buy the shocks too and the shocks alone are $1200. This combo is very pricey. If you dont have the money i would go with the elka shocks and as far as a-arms, my first choice is Laeger. If not laeger then houser or burgards,i've heard good things about them, just lean away from Lone Star, i just saw a set of their a-arms break yesterday where i raced.
-Dave

Dave400ex
08-13-2001, 09:10 PM
Laeger and PEP all the way.

08-13-2001, 09:45 PM
The PEP's are really good too, but they take forever to get. I sent my rear shock to them to be rebuilt and it took 4 months to get back, i also ordered front shocks and im still waiting from them. it is now 7 months and counting. I ordered a set of Elkas and had them in no timeand they are great, so im going to cancel my PEP's. I heard that the PEP's take so long b/c there is only 1 guy making them and hes at all the nationals so hes limited to the amount he can make, but still...7 months is a little too long to wait, even if they are a great product.
-Dave