PDA

View Full Version : 250R tranny trouble: burning oil?

310Rduner
07-21-2003, 04:17 PM
Just the other day my bike began making a hissing sound, almost like something was boiling. No metal on metal sound,just a hissing, and slight whistle. My bike was running slightly soft, but that could have been temperature change but i dont feel like that is it. I checked all my engine mount bolts for that whistling sound, all of that was good. Started noticing a bit of spew coming out from the sparkplug area. I checked the oil level and it was about 100ml before it started coming out of the check level. I had just changed it the ride before, running belray 80w. I also noticed the radiator overflow catch was very low,i had checked and refilled it slightly til Full the day before. My radiator was still full as well.

I just took my top end off today and there is only a slight amount of carbon build up on the piston and dome, running 110 octane race gas at 190lbs of compression.i havent noticed any scores in the piston or cylinder wall as of yet, it has also been around 5 months since i replaced the piston and tore into the low end.
When I removed the cylinder i noticed black Crud all over the crank rod, crank, and inside of piston, it is almost like a Very black mud, but not as thick. It is not fluidy at all.. has the consistency of wet-dirt to mud..

I drained the tranny oil, and the oil was a slight redish-brown color still, no metal shavings, nothing very sick looking.
What do you recommend I look into? someone has already mentioned crank seals to me, but im not familiar at All with the low end, just the name of the parts, and an average idea of how they work.

When the low end is opened up it will be with the help of my buddy who is a skilled mechanic.. so what needs to be done will get fixed and replaced properly.. just need and idea of what it is and what needs to be done to get it healthy again.

Thanks in advance guys

honda350r
07-21-2003, 04:54 PM
That is what you would call a blown crank seal on the trans side !! No need to tear it all the way down,just replace the crank seals !!

AtvMxRider
07-26-2003, 12:25 PM
Yep I would say you have blown a crank seal.