PDA

View Full Version : found out what happened

stupid driver
07-21-2003, 03:56 PM
My rod went on my 400ex a few weeks ago. My dealor wanted 500 buks just to see what went wrong with it. then they wanted cash for the parts and labor. my dad and i said screw it. Today, we took the motor apart ourselves, and we found out why the rod went in the first place. It had a large chunk missing about an inch below the piston. the reason we knew it didnt get gashed when the rod blew was it was darkened from the oil getting to it over time. I called honda, but they arent gonna do anything because i didnt take it to my dealor to have the oil changed, i did it myself:confused: .

Dirt
07-22-2003, 05:22 AM
Take a pic of it and send it to Honda. Not changing the oil wouldn't have much of an effect on the rod loseing a piece. If it did somehow lose a chunk before the engine went, then the rod was bad and had a material failure from the factory. How does the cylinder look? What exactly "went" when the engine "blew"? If the cylinder walls and piston show signs of wear or seizure then that could be what overstressed the rod. But if the cylinder and piston show no signs of damage then the rod had a error from the factory. Did the piston hit anything to cause the rod to snap, like a valve or debris?

wilkin250r
07-22-2003, 05:28 AM
There first response is going to be to deny your claim, but that doesn't mean it's a dead issue. The owner's manual gives you instructions to change the oil, you shouldn't be required to take it to the dealer.

I'd squack a bit more about it. When you talk with someone at Honda, ask to speak to a supervisor. If you still don't get anywhere, ask to speak with the supervisor's supervisor. Keep going up the ladder until you get something done.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

stupid driver
07-22-2003, 03:06 PM
the only signs of wear on it was from where the rod hit after it blew. The rod broke about 1/2 an inch below the piston. I talked to the honda rep in torrance california. He said they wouldnt do anything, so i just bought an engine from service honda. This time im gonna get the warranty though:huh

jerry-89-250R
07-22-2003, 03:12 PM
do a search for the honda customer service phone#, tell them what happened, they will contact your local dealer, sometimes you have too go over the dealer's head too get service, it may be in your owners manual, i'll look for it in case you don't find it

hondafox440
07-22-2003, 03:14 PM
You bought an entire new engine? Wouldnt it be easier to fix it? I mean what, an engine is around 2 grand, where as a case, rod, cylinder and rebuild kit is under a grand..

stupid driver
07-22-2003, 03:20 PM
believe me, the whole motor was cheaper. I got about ten different quotes ranging from 2,600 to 3100. The engine cost me 2 grand. The entire motor was shot. the whole cylinder head cracked and i wont even get started with the gears. I dont know how it tore the engine up so much, ive never seen something so bad

stupid driver
07-22-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by jerry-89-250R
do a search for the honda customer service phone#, tell them what happened, they will contact your local dealer, sometimes you have too go over the dealer's head too get service, it may be in your owners manual, i'll look for it in case you don't find it

i called that number. they said that they will not do anything since i did not take the quad to a certified dealor for oil changes and valve adjustments.

Glamis400ex
07-22-2003, 03:26 PM
Thats a heap of horse $hit...Company's now-a-days will do/try anything to get out of warranty work.

Sorry to hear bub...:(

Glamis

AtvMxRider
07-26-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by stupid driver
believe me, the whole motor was cheaper. I got about ten different quotes ranging from 2,600 to 3100. The engine cost me 2 grand. The entire motor was shot. the whole cylinder head cracked and i wont even get started with the gears. I dont know how it tore the engine up so much, ive never seen something so bad

Did you run it low on oil?

stupid driver
07-26-2003, 04:01 PM
nah, the oil was fine, that was the first place i checked