PDA

View Full Version : Hum, Top Dead Center

DCREIF
07-21-2003, 03:54 PM
TOOK HEAD AND CYLINDER OUT FOR 440 KIT AND PORTING, ENGINE ROTATED:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: , HOW CAN I GET BACK TO TOP DEAD CENTER ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE WHEN I GO TO INSTALL EVERYTHING.

THANKS

DAVID

stupid driver
07-21-2003, 04:23 PM
can ya do it from your flywheel like when ya adjust ur valves?

honda350r
07-21-2003, 04:57 PM
Put the piston to the top and you are done !!! TDC is TDC don't worry about strokes !! It is only a one cylinder so you don't have to worry what stroke you are on , the cam is what desides what stroke it is on !!

Martin Blair
07-21-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by honda350r
Put the piston to the top and you are done !!! TDC is TDC don't worry about strokes !! It is only a one cylinder so you don't have to worry what stroke you are on , the cam is what desides what stroke it is on !!

yeah but the cam is timed buy the cranshaft and if the top end timing is screwed up then the whole bike is fed, i dunno, if it didnt move to far you could move it another 4 strokes, if is moved a stroke them move it 3, or use the flywheel.

BigThumper33
07-21-2003, 06:23 PM
The cam decides what stroke it is on...if it is on tdc and you put the cam on one way, its compression, the opposite, exhaust stroke. The crank position at TDC has nothing at all to do with whether it is on the compression stroke or exhaust stroke..

Just put it back to TDC and put it back together like nothing happened.

07-21-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by BigThumper33
The cam decides what stroke it is on...if it is on tdc and you put the cam on one way, its compression, the opposite, exhaust stroke. The crank position at TDC has nothing at all to do with whether it is on the compression stroke or exhaust stroke..

Just put it back to TDC and put it back together like nothing happened.

Sound advice.

If you like to be solidly sure on what your doing you can also dbl check the timing mark (T) on the flywheel.