PDA

View Full Version : 250x carb leaking

darrell43031
07-21-2003, 03:38 PM
i have a 87 250x thats been in the family ever since it was bought brand new. well for the past 12 months i havn't touched it cause i bought a brand new 300. so i turned the gas on and as always 2 kicks and it started. but i noticed when i turned the gas on it poured out the overflow like a sive. so i open the bowl up tapped it with a screwdriver trying to get the dirt out. then i closed the screw back up and it still pours out. so i took the bowl off cleaned it (wasn't that dirty) put it back and it still leaks just as bad:scary: i can't figure it out to save me. any thoughts or solutions would help alot. i'm trying to get it fixed so i can let my girlfriend ride it. help is greatly appreciated

Darrell

Chanman420q
07-21-2003, 03:45 PM
trust me its ur floats, i had the same problem til i adjusted the floats the CORRECT way... lol

wilkin250r
07-22-2003, 10:35 AM
You can't adjust the floats on a 250x.

The floats are attached to a small float valve that will close when the floats rise, preventing any more fuel from entering the carb. Most likely what is happening is that you have some dirt stuck in your float valve that prevents it from closing all the way. Get a good spray carb cleaner and clean the carb thoroughly. Don't just clean the bowl, but spray the carb cleaner through every fuel path, especially the path leading from the fuel petcock to the bowl.

If that doesn't fix the problem, your float valve may be worn out, replace it.

I rebuilt my 250x carb three times before I got all the dirt out.

darrell43031
07-22-2003, 02:01 PM
thanks guys

Scott-300ex
07-22-2003, 06:59 PM
also, besides the dirt in the needle and seat, your float could have a hole in it, which mean it would fill up with gas and stay sunk..........to check this, pull out your float and put it in a can of gas.....not water cause gas is lighter than water.....if it sinks you need a new one, also, if it feels heavy you should get a new one too because the wieght would be fuel