PDA

View Full Version : Help Quick! Cam Chain Q

400exJOE
01-18-2002, 03:03 PM
hey guys, i'm tairing down my 400 now to put in the 440 piston and cylinder and i don't know where the cam chain needs to be positioned to take it off. Is there a master link of what? Also, what marks should i look for? I already have the valve cover off. Thanks

400exJOE
01-18-2002, 03:10 PM
HELP PLEASE!

400exJOE
01-18-2002, 03:37 PM
NO ONE KNOWS?????

tinner
01-18-2002, 04:33 PM
You don't need to take the chain completely off. When you tear the top end off ,just keep a wire wrapped on it,so it doesn't drop,it probably doesn't matter because you're taking the whole top end off but I wouldn't chance it in case it somehow would get stuck. When you take off the cam gear (if you're installing a new cam) Just hold on to it and repeat the process when you take off the cyl.Do you have the manual on the machine?? I hope you do,becuase you will have to set up the timing on it and no how to position the cam gear for reassembly. I don't remember the process off the top of my head.Also if you don't have the book, make sure that you take the pressure off the cam chain tensioner when reassembling. Hope this helps

01-19-2002, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by 400exJOE
hey guys, i'm tairing down my 400 now to put in the 440 piston and cylinder and i don't know where the cam chain needs to be positioned to take it off. Is there a master link of what? Also, what marks should i look for? I already have the valve cover off. Thanks

No marks to look for on disassemble just remove cam chain tensioner device, remove cam gear bolts, tie chain with a piece of wire or something. Slide cam out. Just take your time on reassemble and you will be fine. You will have to time crank to cam upon reassemble. T mark on flywheel lined up with notch on case and marks on cam gear lined up with upper suface of cyl. head, and one mark straight up TDC. Roll engine counterclockwise, cam turns ½ revolution to crank. There is a spec height on cyl. stud bolts if removed to cut your cyl. Torque all bolts and loctite where necessary

Not a bad job, Don't rush,I reasssmble my top end with JE 416 Wednesday night. Hope to break in tomorrow