PDA

View Full Version : Motor Setup

Dave400ex
07-21-2003, 07:57 AM
I am getting ready to build my motor with in the next month. Right now I have a 39mm FCR that should be coming, and I am going to order a JE 416 10.8:1 Piston, TC XC Cam, TC Headstuds, and all Gaskets I need to get it built. I was wondering what you guys thought of this setup? I will be running my TC pipe and UNI filter with these mods. How much power should I expect?
I was talking to a few guys and they said I should break the Piston/Cam in with the stock carb so I'm not running lean during break in with the FCR. Does that sound like a smart idea, or should I just call a few places and ask about jetting for break in with the FCR for my setup?
Also I am thinking about getting a bigger oil tank. How much do those really cool the motor? Which one should I get? Thanks...

Dave400ex
07-21-2003, 01:11 PM
Bump!

400ex99
07-21-2003, 08:01 PM
i would have the head port and polish from a well known builder like profab. i'd go with a 11:1 compr. leave the air box lid off and use a outerwear on the filter. use tinner air scoops for cooling the engine also. keep asking about the jetting on the fcr carb. to get you close. break the engine in with reg. oil, then switch to a synthetic oil, i use moble 1, no problems with it. i run a 416, but no 39 fcr carb. i did the work myself except the porting and boring out the cyl. once you have it dialed in, play with the gearing, depends on type of riding you do.... hope this helps!

465Stroker
07-21-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
I am getting ready to build my motor with in the next month. Right now I have a 39mm FCR that should be coming, and I am going to order a JE 416 10.8:1 Piston, TC XC Cam, TC Headstuds, and all Gaskets I need to get it built. I was wondering what you guys thought of this setup? I will be running my TC pipe and UNI filter with these mods. How much power should I expect?
I was talking to a few guys and they said I should break the Piston/Cam in with the stock carb so I'm not running lean during break in with the FCR. Does that sound like a smart idea, or should I just call a few places and ask about jetting for break in with the FCR for my setup?
Also I am thinking about getting a bigger oil tank. How much do those really cool the motor? Which one should I get? Thanks...

Dave,
Talk to PAPPY about his 425 motor I built for him (TC XC motor specs) - seems to be very happy with it. It is not a drag motor - but has been holding it's own.
The FCR carb is nice - but not needed. Same hold true for the oversized oil tank - I never used one - but I guess it can't hurt. I just think that between an FCR carb and oversized oil tank - you could spend that $500.00 plus in cash elsewere.

Dave400ex
07-22-2003, 05:18 AM
I thought about getting a Port/Polish, but don't want to spend the extra money. I'm going with 10.8 because I want to run pump without any problems. Now I can't run the airbox lid off because I race XC and we have mud pits and stuff. Plus I like the extra protection with the lid on. I want to get some Tinner scoops, but how I have my bottom rezzies mounted there is not enough room for the Tinner bottom mount.
I will have to talk to Pappy and see how he likes it. Yeah I went ahead and got the FCR because I found a deal on a almost brand new used one. I think I will just hold off on the oil tank for a while and save the money. Rick what Oil do you run in your motors and like the best? I am running Maxima Premium blend 20w50. I talked to TC a while and he said synthetic wasn't really needed.

465Stroker
07-22-2003, 05:49 AM
Never ran synthetic. I have had good success with Shell Rotella T 15/40 weight in my 400EX. Rotella T is the same oil I use in my powerstroke diesel truck - it has an anti-soot formula in it. It is non synthetic.

Doibugu2
07-22-2003, 06:09 AM
Dave, RYTM1 has an FCR and were about at the same elevation as you. You might want to PM him to find out what his jetting is.

He is running a real similar setup, just using the XR cam, instead of the TC. I rode his around, and his is a lot faster than my stock 400. He also said the FCR made a big difference. Not trying to contridict Rick.

Dave400ex
07-22-2003, 08:03 AM
Thanks I will PM him and ask what jetting he is running. Where are you guys from?

400exBro
07-22-2003, 10:22 AM
does tc sell 416 mx kits???

is there a web page i could go to, to get more info???

i am in the same boat, and am not sure what to do, either get a mx 416 kit or buy the new honda quad when ever it comes out...

i am thinking of this setup
JE 11.1 piston
Sparks, tc or lrd agresive cam
spring kit
harden rocker
FCR 39mm carb
CRF450 timing chain
port and polish
better connecting rod?? is it really needed??
8 plate clutch kit...
gaskets and what not

am i missing something?

Doibugu2
07-22-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Thanks I will PM him and ask what jetting he is running. Where are you guys from?

Sorry, were from the Chicago area.

Dave400ex
07-22-2003, 11:57 AM
If you go with the TC Cam you won't need Valve Springs or Harden Rockers like with the Sparks. The TC MX Cam is a drop-in. The connecting rod wouldn't really be needed for your setup, but might not be a bad idea. A Sparks, TC, or FDO 416 would be the way to go.
Chicago is only about 3 hours away from here so the jetting should be real close. Thanks for the help...

400exBro
07-22-2003, 02:03 PM
i like to build mystuff so it last... i really don't want to drop a valve, but i will do the HD springs anyways, but if i get harden rockers, will it chew up the cam???

and were are the biggest gains, mid range???

and does he recomend using his tc full system??? i want to run a engine builders pipe, so sparks or lrd i will probably get...

bongwater200
07-22-2003, 03:03 PM
Dave..... you chould ask Tom (TC) all these questions, and follow his instructions like the Bible! He'll tell you exactly what you need to know on how to break in an engine.

I run Mobil 1 fully synthetic 15W50 in my XR400 for hare scrambles. Its one of the only oils I've found that keeps the bike shifting for three hours non-stop. The oil consumption also dropped with Mobil 1. Some other oils... I'd burn almost a quart in three hours. With Mobil 1, I'd only be down about 1/4 of a quart.

Hope this helps.

Dave400ex
07-22-2003, 04:17 PM
Yeah I think I will call Tom and ask him some things about breaking it in, and rather or not I should put the FCR on for break in. Plus I'm sure he can help me with jetting on the FCR. With all the help I can get from members, and I few places I want to call about jetting, I should be able to get it dialed in quickly.
I will also ask Tom about what oil to use.