PDA

View Full Version : ohio legal/public riding areas

01-18-2002, 09:53 AM
Where does everyone ride in Ohio. I have been to Wellsville once.
It was awesome but raining and very muddy that day.
Has anyone ever riden at Bear Creek Amphitheater?
Are there any other good places to ride in the winter? I know all the state parks open in April.
Thanks for any info

PS this site is great!

400ex Magnum
01-19-2002, 11:33 AM
THC

As for public riding areas, the winter is pretty much dead time. The best place to ride in Ohio (my opinion) is Wayne National Forest. I usually ride the Athens riding area, but there is three riding areas total. Check out there webstite at:
www.fs.fed.us/r9/wayne/

As for state forest, I live near the Maumee state forest riding area. Don't waste your time driving to this one. I have not rode any of the other state forest riding areas, but I have heard they are not as good as Wayne. I ride with some people that ride occasionally at Perry State forest. I have been told it is about the best of the state forest riding areas.

Watch the forums and you can meet some good people in here and in others that ride in Ohio. I met up with a group from your area down and Wayne for a ride.

SLB400EX
01-19-2002, 03:53 PM
We haven't been to Bear Creek, yet. I have heard it is Ok, then I have heard it is a waste of time. I'd like to see for myself one of these days.
Have ya tried out Elson Street Riding park?? Once again, haven't YET but would like to head that way real soon. I hear that place is great. It's around Waynesburg I do believe, off SR 43.
Then there are the Rumble on the Ridge rides rides over by Cadiz, they start in April. http://rumbleontheridge.homestead.com/ (hope the link works)
In the spring, we starting hitting Wayne Nat'l forest, along with Magnum when he can make it down..wonderful place to ride!!!
Perry forest is cool too but doesn't compare to WNF, IMO.
In the winter, I mostly just wait for some snow and ride around home here in the streets. (we live on the back side of a little village)

300exrider99
01-19-2002, 08:57 PM
I've been to both Bear Creek and Elson St. and I personally prefer Elson St. over Bear Creek. Elson St. has a lot of ruff terrain and and tight trails it's also a lot bigger than Bear Creek. But Bear Creek is still fun all of the trails are pretty easy to ride and the hills are either very hard or very easy there's not really any "in-between" type hills.

01-24-2002, 01:40 PM
Can anyone give me directions to Bear Creek and or Elson St.???
Dont you have to pay to ride at Bear Creek?
If so how much.
Thanks for your help

Quadfather
01-24-2002, 04:45 PM
Elson Street riding park is on Elson street. Right off of SR43. Look for the sign. Its right next to a pizza joint, and a drivethrough through with a big sign that says they have 10,000 cases of beer cold at all times.

I was just there last weekend. You can see the whole place inside of a half hour, and they charge $10 a day to ride.

It's pretty weak, but better than nothing.

The Wayne opens up April 15. It's easily the best place I've ever been to.

01-25-2002, 12:29 PM
What about directions to bear creek??
Looking for someplace to go this weekend so
speedy replies are appreciated!

Also is elson st right above columbus?

Thanks for your input!

J25
01-25-2002, 07:14 PM
hey i live in ohio and not to far away from wellsville i live a half an hour away from st. clairsville ans an hour and a half from cambridge....... if you guys ever wanna go rdin pm me

01-28-2002, 10:46 AM
Went to Elson st riding park on Sunday. It was pretty sweet but very muddy. They say they have 200 acres to ride on. The trails are pretty nice but unless they maintain them expect some serious ruts! I must have gotten high centered atleast 3 times and with all the damn mud the wheeler would just stick or slide into the ruts....required alot of muscle work to break free
Some of the trails are off camber and have huge ruts also. There were like 3 good jumps, two of which were small doubles.
They have a big open field you can race around on..but getting to the field is the tough part. The one way in was through a water obstacle about 2 feet deep. I made it through the first time with no problem then later in the day we tried again and i hit something under water which stoppped me in my tracks...I damn near broke my wrist and almost flew over the handle bars...thankfully I didnt though. After being stopped in the water the bike fired right up and I was able to ride right out after someone moved a damn iceberg out of my way....initially the water was frozen about 4 inches thick which then got broken into smaller pieces as the day went on.

Overall I would recommend going if you have not been there.
It is a good spot to ride in the winter until the state parks open up. It is $10 per day though.

305exracer11
01-31-2002, 12:48 PM
wayne national forest is pretty sweet but i would check out all the mx tracks that ohio has

danman450
07-09-2005, 10:07 AM
i have been riding at elson for just over 2 years, and i ride trail patrol there, there is over 300 acres of riding and to think you could see it all in 1 day is nuts. i still find new places to play when i go out there my guess is anyone thinking they've seen the hole place in an hour, might have missed a few things

jcappello1217
08-05-2005, 07:57 PM
walhonding isnt far from wellsville i think but it is a good place to ride at. it has hills, paths,wooded trails,AND WIDE OPEN DIRT ROADS.

to camp there you have to rent a campsite for the week/weekend and then have fun!

ill give it two thumbs up!!

DMS
08-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Tons of places to ride in Ohio..

RIDE LINKS (http://ohiomafiariders.com/page3.html)

fmf250ex
08-08-2005, 02:05 PM
This is a pretty good track http://www.crowcanyonmx.com. I've been there once and i want to go back soon its a very nice place to ride

2004400exa
08-09-2005, 02:23 PM
theres one up north were i live its callled longs cory it s a pretty big place ive heard and ive heard they have a dirt drag strip to race your quad