PDA

View Full Version : whats the loudest pipe made for 400ex

tumbler440Ex
01-18-2002, 07:26 AM
i em wondering what would be the loudest pipe to buy i have the 440 kit in it now and wondering for the pipe now in what would be the louder one where we come from louder is beater go loud or go home so if someone could help me out be great and where can i find prices for clutchs prolly goin to need one of those now too thanxs:devil

hangman
01-18-2002, 07:44 AM
The loudest pipe may not give you the best power. But, I have usually found that the cheapest pipes are usually louder than the more expensive and better tuned pipes. I used to have a DG RCM on my Mojave and it was a lot louder than a warrior with a white bros. that I ride with. Friend of mine had a Cobra on his 300ex and it was really loud. Another friend has a big gun on his 400ex and it's not really that loud. My 400ex still has the stock pipe for now.

indygncc
01-18-2002, 07:50 AM
LRD is really loud, good HP gains also

01-18-2002, 08:44 AM
Any engine builders pipes will be loud,,,TC racing is LOUD.

Blackguywithouta400
01-18-2002, 10:46 AM
and makes a lot of power

knighttime
01-18-2002, 11:14 AM
get a COBRA pipe.

MOFO
01-18-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by knighttime
get a COBRA pipe.

ROFL!!! Yea or you can just run your header pipe right into a nice Foldgers coffee can.

Eric

01-18-2002, 12:58 PM
I agree a 32oz folgers coffee can with 3,,,,1 inch holes in it will perform nicely. And guys you need to quit posting useless info out here,,if your not helping then don't waste our time..:huh

ps..go to the kory ellis's canondale post in the open forum to understand were I'm goin here...lmao..:D

MOFO
01-18-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Rico
.....And guys you need to quit posting useless info out here,,if your not helping then don't waste our time..:huh

ps..go to the kory ellis's canondale post in the open forum to understand were I'm goin here...lmao..:D

I know where you are coming from. The way I look at it...once the question has been answered a few times....its ok to have a little fun with the topic. Keeps it interesting. :D

Eric

chris29
01-20-2002, 12:39 AM
The loudest has got to be the TC racing pipe. You cut 5 inches off the header and then you have a short pipe with about a 3 inch hole. Its loud and engine mods will make it even louder.

Juggalo
01-20-2002, 01:14 AM
but the best part is they sound SWEET!

"BLAHH"300!!
01-20-2002, 02:55 AM
it may be a cofee can but it is loud.....
...guy i ride with has the cobra on his 400ex...i don't know why he got it.he was ganna get a white bro...but went to the shop and asked the guy at the counter what to get..(..and going aginst me..."like im an expert"..)the guy told him " well i got this cobra here blah blah"....guy wanted to make a sale pretty much..talked him into it and he got it...i though my d.g. was loud...hey wait .....i got a cobra on my bigbear.................cobra is the "sklf"......haha..
..but it is loud i don't know what kinda increase it gives and i will add it "i play with a band" and i'd rather have his exhaust on the bongos' than any drummer....it keeps perfect time and sounds just like a nice set of bongos' when it idles....nuff said.....hey you want loud...chop it off at the head.......

DiceMan400
01-20-2002, 03:55 PM
Why would someone get a 440 big bore kit installed before getting a pipe??? Isnt a new pipe like the first mod we all did to our 400??? And if you did get your 440 kit, did you do anything else like porting, polishing, heavier valve spings, clutch, cam, rev kit, so on and so on...... Im not flaming..... Just wondering why one would spend atleast $1400(if it was done correctly) for a first mod...... A new head pipe and can is only around $600..... In my experiance a 440 kit does not do much without all the other mods that need to be done to make it "work right"........

Dave400ex
01-20-2002, 06:09 PM
The TC Racing is very loud. I love it.

MOFO
01-21-2002, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by DiceMan400
Why would someone get a 440 big bore kit installed before getting a pipe??? Isnt a new pipe like the first mod we all did to our 400??? And if you did get your 440 kit, did you do anything else like porting, polishing, heavier valve spings, clutch, cam, rev kit, so on and so on...... Im not flaming..... Just wondering why one would spend atleast $1400(if it was done correctly) for a first mod...... A new head pipe and can is only around $600..... In my experiance a 440 kit does not do much without all the other mods that need to be done to make it "work right"........

Nope, if you were to ask an engine builder...they usually laugh at the people that think a pipe makes 5+ hp. You can do a 440 kit and still have incredible results. Sure the pipe helps move your power around and you might get a 1 hp or so increase, but it does NOT make or break your 440 kit.

Eric

DiceMan400
01-21-2002, 11:59 AM
I uderstand that a new pipe will not give you a ton of horse..... I am just saying that just a 440 kit without porting, polishing, new cam, clutch basket, heavier valve spings, higher rev kit, and at the least rejetting, The bike will not run as well as most people think...... People that just get a 440 kit and nothing else think they are going to eat up Banshees when in reality it is just alittle faster than the stock 400...... I know this from experiance because I put a 440 kit without all the other stuff...... Once I put all the other mods in it woke the bike up big time...... I did not know that I needed the other mods at fist and it would have been much cheaper if I had it done in one shot..... Like I said Im not flamming...... I just think this info is good and will be helpful to someone wanting to get a kit installed....... Kinda give them a heads up to what they are in for.......
Gregg

MJNOVA
01-25-2002, 11:08 AM
This is the exact problem with ATV-Snowmobile people. LOUD pipes hurt our sport. Exhaust systems don't have to be loud to make power. ATV's have TWO MAJOR PROBLEMS. One is noise and the second is dust. Without either of these things you could hold races at your house. People are constantly looking for reasons to take away riding and racing areas and people who run with loud pipes are only helping their cause.

PLEASE rethink your idea of getting a so-called loud pipe.

TO: The Admistrators of this site----Spend your time promoting smart ATV riding and racing--noise never won a race.......

If you race a quad---think about what that 1/4 HP means--nothing unless you race TT.

If everyones bikes were quiet we could rid ourselves of the publics biggest complaint of ATVs---Also everyone would suffer the same loss of HP.

305exracer11
01-25-2002, 12:55 PM
in dirt wheels and atv sport mags they said ct pipe is the loudest pipe for a 400ex

Scott
01-25-2002, 01:10 PM
I agree with where MJNOVA is coming from, and I can't say that he's necessarily wrong, but I don't think it's the mods job to censor the subjects discussed on here. Instead, I think the rest of us can contribute some common sense when we throw our .02 in.

That's what I thought happened to the thread about running from the cops. There were a few that started out saying how cool it was but there were a lot more that jumped in with how stupid it was.

PS. No 4punks, I'm not targetting you. :blah

Two guys I ride with have TC's on 400s and they're loud, but the most obnoxious pipe I've ever ridden with was a 300ex with a RCM with no packing. It was the loudest quad at almost every race he went to.

01-25-2002, 01:18 PM
Another thing I don't think people realize is these loud pipes that are being listed as loud are recommended by the manufacturer as closed course racing pipes only.. I could have easily got any pipe on the market but noise was an issue for me and for the people I ride around,,so I went with a less obnoxious pipe.

My input is a loud pipes belong on MX tracks and that's it and yes a loud pipe doesn't always mean more power.

tumbler440Ex
01-26-2002, 08:47 AM
Thanxs for the poeple who helped me out like the tc and corbra ill see what i can do i dunno tho bout the tc racing pipe cause i live in canada and i dont know if any of the dealers woiuld have any in the books...... And for the others thats were sayen they were made for the track hahaha i live in Canada free speech they dont give a hoot bout loud pipes around here guys are prety dumb buy like 1500$ pipes and gut them like take out everything baffle everything there loud then but noone cares were know whos comming around here buy the sound the bike makes nooen has the same pipe around here soo ill see i think i can get the lrd or corbra dont know bout tc...
Only reason y i got the 440 kit cause the motor blew herts me just to say that than u guys to read it but it did blew cause the guy i took to get tooned i told him the timing was off and he never ajusted it and a little after piston hit top dead and valves came open not a good mix
so thats y i got the 440 kit and only one grand for everything around here to get everything and thats to take my hole motor aprt even the base to get all the bearings lubs in it and cleaned out so thats y oif i had money sure id buy pipes which this summer i will but i em still in school and only work in thew sumer time so kinda short for money okay thanxs guys that told me bout what pipe ..
that coffey can true ? :macho

Dave400ex
01-26-2002, 09:09 AM
Do Not get a Cobra Pipe. If you can`t get a TC or LRD look for something else.

Pro400EXC
02-04-2002, 06:40 PM
Ever Heard the Saying LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES?

Well I have the T-4 slip on and One time I was trail riding and I come around this berm about 3rd gear 1/2 throttle and I saw Pnaris pulling off the trail, so I stoped and said that was Nice of him to move outta my way(cuase most people are jerks) and I said How'd you know I was coming? He simply said I heard that pipe and I heard it coming this way so I thought to myself someone must be coming, so I better move outta the way.

If he didn't I probably wouldn't have a front end on my 400ex

So LOud Pipes Save Lives!

400MXer
02-04-2002, 09:29 PM
yeah, a cobra will do nothing but give you a headache, you will pry loose power!

if you want a loud pipe, buy ones that sounds good at least.

if you want to buy a cobra, you should just save your money and buy a coffee can to attach to your head....that's about what a cobra sounds like.

if you want loud, get a TC, Sparks, CT, Duncan, White bros with no disc's. they are all gonna be pretty loud, and all these sound good too.(and make more power)

Nausty
02-06-2002, 05:16 PM
louder isn't neccisarily better I don't think I find it ignoying hearing the buzzing of snow mobiles all day long now that we have snow on the ground and i think some of those loud pipes are the same way.

Live2Ride300
02-15-2002, 06:10 PM
Want a Cobra Pipe? Drink a can of soda then when ur done cut off the top put some fiberglass in it, punch some holes in the bottom then take a hoseclamp and clamp it on to ur header, there i saved ya 100buks or so

02-15-2002, 07:49 PM
in the words of my friend charlie (live2ride300) who used to own the loudest ****in 87 suzuki quadsport lt230, GO LOUD OR GO HOME

Live2Ride300
02-15-2002, 07:52 PM
ya , i had a cobra full exaust on my quadsport, the only reason i put it on there cuz it was a quadsport which is a pos, so it only makes sense to put a pos pipe on a pos quad, hey watch the language mr. quaddin400,

02-15-2002, 07:54 PM
in the words or charlies dad while driving a 1992 toyota camry on a icy downhill curvy road yelling at charlie at the top of his lungs, SHUT UP CHARLIE!!!!!!

Live2Ride300
02-15-2002, 07:56 PM
hey hey watch it buddy we'll talk about this outta the forum, lets take this outside........................... BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN CLICK BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANN NNNNNNNNNNNN CLICK BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNN

02-15-2002, 08:37 PM
If u live where i lve no pipe at all gives u ALOT of power and it sounds cool too. I aint sure if it will burn the valves up but it hasnt yet!! It has more top-end power and has a higher top speed a few mphs though

"BLAHH"300!!
02-15-2002, 09:55 PM
i knew when i started readin through this last post it had to be some freak from mississippi..haha i'm kiddin man..i'm from there too....where do you ride at around here...where at in south ms...

02-18-2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by nonnie45acp
If u live where i lve no pipe at all gives u ALOT of power and it sounds cool too. I aint sure if it will burn the valves up but it hasnt yet!! It has more top-end power and has a higher top speed a few mphs though

IF your not running a muffler on your quad,,say bye bye to your motor real soon...:huh

MOFO
02-18-2002, 10:19 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nonnie45acp
If u live where i lve no pipe at all gives u ALOT of power and it sounds cool too. I aint sure if it will burn the valves up but it hasnt yet!! It has more top-end power and has a higher top speed a few mphs though [/QUOTE

wow. I never thought someone would actually do this. You motor has now become a ticking time bomb. :huh :eek:

Eric

"BLAHH"300!!
02-18-2002, 12:52 PM
.....what is goin' on that makes not runnin a pipe so bad...
is it head on into the dust and muddy water that might slip in there when the valves open...fill me in here...

hey MISSISSIPPI.where you ride at man..me and another guy from this ste are settin' up a ride sometime in v-burg...not too far away..?..join in....

tumbler440Ex
02-18-2002, 01:21 PM
hey man haha i know it must be loud but u need some back pressure for your motor man to much air commin out burn out your valves and your motor afterawhile cause its lettin more air out than in to hard on it
thats what i think anyways:devil

emiliano22
02-23-2002, 04:34 PM
I think I found the sound you are looking for in this insanity test.

http://iqx.ionichost.com/other/instest.html

:D :D :D

250rampage
02-23-2002, 06:21 PM
Acutally, you don't need back pressure for a motor to run properly...I don't know why that seems to be said alot. The risk of running no exhaust is that cold air can flow back up the exhaust port and warp the valves (kinda like a pan getting warped from throwing in a water filled sink when it's hot). Many drag cars run straight pipes, with no muffler at all, just piping to the back of the car. The big risk is having no exhaust piping at all, just the port on the motor. If you're jetting is correct, and you have a long enough length of pipe from your motor, it will be fine.

shamisc
03-15-2002, 10:58 PM
250 RAMPAGE,
ARE YOU SURE YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THIS? I'M WONDERING B/C I JUST MODIFIED MY STOCK SILENCER SO IT'S KINDA LIKE A STRAIGHT PIPE. I REALLY DON'T WANT TO INJURE MY MOTA! I HAD A TO SEND MY CURTIS SPARKS X-4 BACK FOR RE-COATING, IS WHY I PUT STOCKER BACK ON. THIS MODIFIED PIPE KICKS ALL OF MY FRIENDS BUTT!! WHITE BROS, C. SPARKS, DUNCAN, OR DMC, I'M STILL ABOUT 4 OR 5 BIKE LENGTHS AHEAD IN THE END!! WHAT THE DEAL W/ DAT? IS MY $450 INVESTMENT A WASTE?? :confused:

250rampage
03-16-2002, 06:38 AM
I am positive about this. My dad and I both run drag cars without any muffler source at all. There's this really good article on exhaust theory, I'll see If I can find this.

250rampage
03-16-2002, 06:59 AM
BTW, Which way did you go about modifing the stock silencer. I did mine about 8-9 months ago by drilling holes multiple 3/4 through all 3 plates in the silencer all around. Not much of the plates left, actually. We did the same thing to a friends stock 400, and it will easily pull other stock 400's.

roostfrom250ex
03-16-2002, 09:32 AM
They should make a electric quad. I see here that there's a market for em.
No, not for me.

ChadEXer
03-16-2002, 05:11 PM
I cant wait to hear what my bike sounds like with the 505,,,big ***** cam,,,and a TC pipe:D

Dave400ex
03-16-2002, 07:01 PM
You better get some Ear Plugs Chad.

ChadEXer
03-17-2002, 12:04 PM
Come on now!! It cant be that loud can it??? I caint wait,,I cant wait,,,I cant wait!!!!!!! its been there almost 2 weeks now. maybe it wont be long:( I am almost done shopping for it now. I have got almost everything ordered(a-arms, swingarm, brake lines, Sidewinder sprockets and chain, Pingrys oil tank, MSR Raptor lever and new clutch cable, aluminum airbox, new bearings and seals, rubber grommets, new wheels for the front, Hinson Basket, shocks, white Fullbore plastic, chain roller, Factory Effex graphics kit, and a bunch of other small and dress up items, and im sure Im prolly forgeting quite a bit too) Im going to call FST Monday and see if I can order one of those oil cooler kits!! Thats pretty much everything except for some more dress up items and getting it powdercoated when I get my a-arms and swingarm, and anything else I can think of betwwen now and then!! My wife told me If I keep on I may be living on my quad:D

Dave400ex
03-17-2002, 07:56 PM
It`s going to be Loud. I wish I had all the Money you did. Your 400EX, sorry, 505EX is going to be Sweet.

400MXer
03-17-2002, 08:35 PM
You should have got another clutch lever besides the MSR raptor. The stupid thing frey's my clutch cables, broke the first day i had it. I wish i would have bought an RTC or Work Connection lever.

ChadEXer
03-18-2002, 07:17 AM
Well i was just about to call and order one. my friend\mechanic has one on his R and he hasnt had any problems. he has had it for a long time and he loves it. He also has a Terminator clutch cable. Im getting one too

Dave400ex
03-18-2002, 04:25 PM
My Brother has the PEP EZ Pull Lever. He likes it. Which one should I get?

trx400ex
03-18-2002, 05:00 PM
the pep ez pull is awesome, i have one, but i think i might be getting a hydrolic clutch, i dont know if i want it though

Dave400ex
03-18-2002, 07:12 PM
I might end up getting the PEP. Is there any other Clutch Levers that would be Better?

400MXer
03-18-2002, 08:11 PM
the RTC lever's are very nice.....and the Works connection levers are nice too.

Dave400ex
03-18-2002, 08:25 PM
How Much are those Levers? Can`t I Buy a CR250 Clutch Lever/Perch? I want it to be Shiny like the Stock Lever is.

ChadEXer
03-19-2002, 08:09 AM
Im thinking about changing my mind about the MSR now. i called MSR to see If I could get a sponsorship and they said NO. They sent me a cool graphics\sticker set though. I have gotten a few sponsors to help me so far
K&N(they also sponsor my truck) Outerwears, Extreme Engineering, Mothers(they also sponsor my truck) and AC Racing. I need some more though. I have sent my resume to a lot of companies. its sad though,,,I have already bought almost everything. For some reason I have luck getting sponsors. Like with my show vehicles
Here is a list of sponsors for my truck
K&N
Jet
Flowmaster
Mothers
Airaid
Optima batteries
Pellett Performance
Grille Craft
Ultra Wheels

Pro400EXC
03-19-2002, 03:54 PM
DUDES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

DO NOT GET THE CR CLUTCH PERCH,IT SUCKS MAJOR TAIL PIPE,AFTER ONLY A FEW RIDES,SHE STARTS RADLING,AND ITS NON-ADJUSTIBLE(ON THE FLY,i MEAN). i HAVE THE YZ (2001) clutch perch,and its sweet,it also has ON The FLY,adjustment,also thel lever is shiny. Its a nicer perch,and its only $20 at the local Yammy Shop.!

Dave400ex
03-19-2002, 04:53 PM
I`m not sure which Lever I will Get. I might get the PEP EZ Pull.

ChadEXer
03-20-2002, 08:09 AM
Hey Warriorman. I called Terry about a clutch lever and he is starting to stock a new lever and perch. It is called ASV. They are real sweet. They are spring loaded and they will flip back towards the handlebars. He said they are VERY easy to pull. Go to www.asv-usa.com and check em out.

Dave400ex
03-20-2002, 04:44 PM
Those look Nice. Are you getting One? If you are you will have to let me Know how it Works.

ChadEXer
03-20-2002, 04:45 PM
Im not sure yet. I prolly will

ChadEXer
03-20-2002, 04:49 PM
I just got a letter from Dura Blue and Outerwears today saying that I am now a "sponsored rider" wooohooo. I dont get the stuff free but like for a set of shock covers my price is $22. An eliminator axle is $255 my cost. Its funny. Outerwears gives me 50% off K&N stuff to because they are affiliated and stock K&N but I already get "free" k&n stuff!!!! im working on more sponsors now

Dave400ex
03-20-2002, 05:03 PM
Well you have to tell me the Review on the Clutch Lever. You are getting all Kinds of Sponsors. My Brother needs to get Some. Right Now I am looking for Frame, A-Arms, Swingarm, and Steering Stem Prices. We might start building some. That would be Sweet. I could get an almost Free Frame, A-Arms, Swingarm, and Steering Stem. All I would need then is some Shocks.

03-20-2002, 05:10 PM
i think the loudest pipe for your 1999 400ex would be a white brothers e series silencer, my friend has one on his 300ex and man is that loud. You can also try LRD cuz they are pretty loud too but the white brothers is louder.:macho

K_Fulk
03-22-2002, 08:14 AM
Dmc's are really loud. everybody i ride with can tell its me coming down the trail. and i ride with a lot of other piped 4 strokes.

ChadEXer
03-22-2002, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by sillymofo137
i think the loudest pipe for your 1999 400ex would be a white brothers e series silencer, my friend has one on his 300ex and man is that loud. You can also try LRD cuz they are pretty loud too but the white brothers is louder.:macho
WB E series pipes are not loud at all. The one your talking about must be old with worn out packing. my brand new yoshi was a lot louder than my friends WB. Racing pipes are the loudest!! TC baby:D

Dave400ex
03-22-2002, 06:15 PM
The E Series is not Loud. Chad is right, Racing Pipes are LOUD. My TC is the Loudest I have ever heard.

ny300exrider
03-22-2002, 06:31 PM
im kind of changin subject a tiny bit but, has anybody evr heard a yoshi comp slip on on a 300ex(w/ spark arrestor) is it real loud, because i don't want anything real loud...medium loud is good because people can hear you going through trails. Maybe that or the big gun quiet series? i don't need a pipe yet, just thinkin in advance.;)

ChadEXer
03-22-2002, 06:31 PM
Cant wait to hear mine:D

Dave400ex
03-22-2002, 07:45 PM
Chad, I just hope you can still Hear after you Start it Up.

ChadEXer
03-23-2002, 08:19 AM
I cant hear anyway:D i used to have a killer audio system in one of my show cars that I attended bass competitions with. VERY VERY loud. I was running at 156-158db.

JustRace
03-23-2002, 10:17 AM
Chad are you sure thats how loud your sound system is. Because a jet engine taking off is 140db. And I think the loudest sound system ever was 142db by a guy on battle bots. He said he had over 40g's into his sound system in his truck. And all i have to say is that d@mn i wish i could have heard that system.

But anywho I love loud things. The only problem is that my neighbors don't. I have gotten complaints for my 3 10's in my car and from my EX. So I have learned that noise is bad except for at the track.

Dave400ex
03-23-2002, 03:50 PM
That is a Loud Sound System. The Pipe won`t be that Loud. Sound is more of a Problem Now, but my Neighbors haven`t said anything yet.

ChadEXer
03-23-2002, 05:23 PM
I am POSITIVE thats how loud it was. I attended all the USAC and IASCA bass competitions and am very knowledged in this subject!!!. The loudest audio system was in the high 160's and i think i have heard that someone has even hit the 170 mark. I had a friend that had 4 Stroker 15's in his truck that hit 162db!! The whole inside of his truck was a speaker box. it wasnt drivable he brought it to the comps on a trailer!!

JustRace
03-23-2002, 09:01 PM
Chad i'll take your word. I was just going by what i have read and heard. The loudest I have ever heard was 4 1500 watt 12's in a trans am. But I don't know what the decibels were. The kid that owned this car had a ricer mentality. It was a 94 with chemelion paint job and neon lights under neith it. All it had done was a cold air intake, flowmaster exhaust, and gutted cat. The kid tride to tell me that it had 380hp. Its amazing how some people are so dumb that they think minor exhaust and air intake changes can take a 275hp motor all the way to 380. What a dumb ***.

ChadEXer
03-24-2002, 10:00 AM
Some people are just proud of what they have!! I think thats OK!! Its gonna be hard for you to belive this but I hit that mark with 2 Rockford Punch Power DVC 15's on 2 Punch Power 1100 amps with a Epicenter. Mine was very loud. When done RIGHT it is easy to make 2 15's louder than 4 18's. Believe me I have been into car audio and installing it for many years!!! I have seen 1 10 hit 148db. thats amaziing and almost unbelievable but it can be done and it has. i seen it with my own eyes!!! If you go to USAC or IASCA website you can read all about that stuff and see what the record is. I havent competed in about a year. I sold my show car with the system in it. Here is a pic of it

JustRace
03-24-2002, 10:30 AM
Yeah chad i know what you mean. I should have been more specific with this kid. He was also going around talking about racing a bmw m-something and smoking it. But back to the speaker thing. My really good friend just bought 2000 Silverado extended cab z71. He wants to make a show truck out of it. He gets dual exhaust put on tuesday and has a 6" supension lift scheduled for this summer and one of those new ram air hoods for it. He told me for now all he has is a 1100 watt amp. What type of speekers should he get. He wants 2 twelves that will total under $300. Thats just for now. He doesn't make as much money as you but still not bad for being 19.

ChadEXer
03-25-2002, 07:58 AM
There are a bunch of good speaker companies out there today. i can give him 2 words of advice. First of all when buying a amp or speaker DONT look at the peak power. Look at the RMS power. Thats is the LEAST amount of power that an amp will put out or speakers will hold at one time. Like you can see a Pyramid amp that is rated 1000 watts but is really pushing about 100 to each speaker. then you see a Rockford amp rated at 150 watts RMS that is really pushing 300 watts to each speaker!! I once had a Autotek amp that was rated at 50 watts RMS(single channel amp). That put me in the 50 watt class but when I put 4 12's on it and brought it down to 1 ohm,,, it was pushing about 200 watts to EACH speaker. Thats a damned good amp. Some people call them "cheater amps". my other word of advice is dont go out and buy the first thing you see just because you have a little cash. I went through about 10 different setups before I was happy. Save your money and buy the best first instead of going cheap first(then you need more because thats just not enough) and have to save again to get the good stuff!!!! I cant teach myself this lesson but hoplefully it will help him. For example like I told you about my system. And also my quad. i bought a 416 kit and rode it about 2 weeks. it just wasnt enough so I had to go bigger. i should have just saved that money and put it towards the 505 in the first place!!! I hope this helps him out
I am thinking about putting 4 12's in my truck, Here is a pic of it if you havent already seen it somewhere on here

Dave400ex
03-25-2002, 08:19 AM
That Truck is Sweet. My Cousin has a 97 2500 Chevy with a 3 Inch Lift, 33 Inch Tires, Nerf Bars, Exhaust made straight Back, and some Stainless stuff around the Top of his Bed. It`s Sweet, and Loud.

JustRace
03-25-2002, 11:57 AM
Yeah chad i know about the amps. My little 150watt eclipse amp sounded better powering 2 150rms 12's than a 1000 watt pyrimid amp did. I got the amp 3 10's and a 3 speaker ban pass box and everything hooked up for $200. Does that sound pretty good or did i get screwed. The amp was only 1 week old too.

ChadEXer
03-25-2002, 02:23 PM
You bought it all for that much or thats how much they charged you just to hook it up??

Dave400ex
03-25-2002, 04:40 PM
You Guys know a lot about Sound Systems.

ChadEXer
03-25-2002, 05:01 PM
I used to be into it big time. Now Im all about my fohunnerd:D

Dave400ex
03-25-2002, 05:28 PM
I guess you got Older and the Loud Sound System isn`t as Cool anymore. Yeah I can`t Quit talking about the Ole 400.

JustRace
03-25-2002, 06:23 PM
3-10's, eclipse amp, and 3 speaker band pass box + instalation(sp) = $200

Yeah i want to start selling that stuff too. I want to start saving up money for a used shee.

ChadEXer
03-26-2002, 08:18 AM
Man,,I had more than $200 just in the wire in my sound system:D

Dave400ex
03-26-2002, 08:22 AM
Geez. That is Nuts. I`m glad I have a 400EX to Spend my Money on.

03-27-2002, 11:43 AM
i used to have a supertrap ids2 befor i got my yosh and it was way louder. as for this cobra crap i think a can is to high class if ya are gonna run a cobra why dont ya just run nouthing at all and sell the stock and make money for a 440 kit. oh ya you allready got one of those(my bad) must of found that in a cracker jack box:huh