View Full Version : Brand new ELKAS just blew!!!

Steven
07-20-2003, 11:52 AM
Two weeks ago, I got a front set of Elka's with SSD and no rezies.

This weekend was the third time I rode on the shocks and one blew! This was a new shock with 6 hours on it.

Anyway, I noticed it when I started bottoming the front end off of some pretty mild jumps at the local MX track. I was like WTF. I looked at the shocks and noticed that one was covered in oil, as was my a-arm and air scoop. The oil seemed to leak from the threads at the top of the shock.

$525!!!!!!!!! and 6 hours later. Not cool at all. What do I do?

I'm calling Colby/Dusty at C&D racing to see if they can make good on this. I was reading in the Elka owners manual that there is no warranty due to the intended use of thier shocks. I understand this but 6 hours of normal riding? Come on Elka.

Is this typical? Should I send BOTH back to get checked?

Steve Scialli

07-20-2003, 11:55 AM
Thats why i sold my Elka and will never do business with them. I'd rather pay for Axis or PEP then get Elka for free:mad: :macho

BigThumper33
07-20-2003, 12:02 PM
I'm yet to have a problem with my elkas. I would call them up, they will have your order history and just ask whats up. I'm sure they will make good on it, if not, then thats BS.

I'd rather have elka's for free than have to pay for axis or pep, not to mention I got my elkas, which have so far been awesome, in 7 days...not some BS 6 months like a lot of the PEP boys are waiting...

300XFST4602
07-20-2003, 12:16 PM
I just got some Elkas , shoudl I be worried? Ryan

quader400
07-20-2003, 01:12 PM
alright when you guys go ridding and you tie your quads down dont crank them to the point where the suspension is compressed because that causes shocks to blow seals and makes them leak. im sure that this could be a big factor but also i have never had any problems with my elka.

400exBro
07-20-2003, 01:38 PM
i have always cranked my 400ex down will hualing it, i have yet to blow my works up plus my stock rear... i doubt this is the case...

i have seen some elka fall right apart at a track!!!! one word of advice, start saving and get some axis... i can't wait till i get a pair, o the sweet ride...

07-20-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by quader400
alright when you guys go ridding and you tie your quads down dont crank them to the point where the suspension is compressed because that causes shocks to blow seals and makes them leak. im sure that this could be a big factor but also i have never had any problems with my elka.

how would that blow seals? :confused: I didnt know it was bad to compress the shocks :rolleyes:

quader400
07-20-2003, 01:59 PM
i odnt know but my friend blew his seals cause he cranked his bike down to far. you could see a puddle of oil and see it dripping down the shock.

Steven
07-20-2003, 02:02 PM
I don't tie them down with straps.

Any one else have any CONSTRUCTIVE ways in which to help me or offer explanation?

Steve

07-20-2003, 02:03 PM
:cool: http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/nacsracer27/Mvc-004f.jpg

CHAUNCY
07-20-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by quader400
i odnt know but my friend blew his seals cause he cranked his bike down to far. you could see a puddle of oil and see it dripping down the shock.

Was it cranked down over a long period of time ? Overnight ? I have heard that it is bad to have a bike cranked down overnight:ermm:

Dirt
07-20-2003, 02:26 PM
I used to believe that sinching a shock down would/could damage a shock but it doesn't. I still don't like to due it just because it compresses the springs very far and places abnormal stresses on the quad. But in all reality I do not think you could do any damage unless you try or are the Hulk using 40K lb straps. But I still like to relax the staps overnight.

But Steven, The shock had a assembly/production error. Oil should never leak from that area. Call Elka and explain your situation and they should fix the problem.

cdalejef
07-20-2003, 02:39 PM
Guys, I have seen every brand of shock come into our shop blown and broken even some that look like they have never been used. I myself have blown an Axis shock. There are way to many variables to say why a shock blew. Elka will stand behind your shocks and fix them for you!
Its just like saying Ford, Chevy or Dodge is junk just because the tranny blew....this stuff happens but it doesn't mean the product is bad!!!

Steven
07-20-2003, 02:53 PM
Thanks Jeff, I will follow your advise. I feel better now. Should I send both off to get checked?

cdalejef
07-20-2003, 03:02 PM
It wouldn't hurt!

ZRacer
07-20-2003, 03:11 PM
I have snapped a Works in half after one month of riding. I also, blew out my axis Rear on a 50' double and it almost shot me over the bars, but it was fixed and never gave me another problem. I sold the shock and it is still working great. I have been running Elkas on my Z since last year and haven't had one problem, and I think they are awesome.

The biggest concern I have is the customer service after a problem, and if you got them from Jeff or Elka Directly, then I know you won't have anything to worry about.

BigThumper33
07-20-2003, 07:40 PM
A shock or fork is not meant to have pressure assured on them for constant periods of time. So, yes you can blow seals out by sinching to tight. My dad blew my seals on my 125 cause he strapped it on to tight. Of course the shock is meant to compress....but not constantly for hours...

Martin Blair
07-20-2003, 07:42 PM
elka should fixed those

Taco
07-21-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop

Its just like saying Ford, Chevy or Dodge is junk just because the tranny blew....this stuff happens but it doesn't mean the product is bad!!! But Fords suck:D

MOFO
07-21-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Taco
But Fords suck:D

...and dodge's are known for having bad tranny's... :devil:

RiPPiNiTuP7
07-21-2003, 01:39 AM
Seems like alot of these type of threads are popping up on EX Riders :ermm: I see TCS, or PEP going on my bike when I get the $$$ :macho

cdalejef
07-21-2003, 01:45 AM
But Fords suck:D Ok, I'll let you and your S10 pull the TQS trailer up 119 next trip;)

cdalejef
07-21-2003, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
Seems like alot of these type of threads are popping up on EX Riders :ermm: I see TCS, or PEP going on my bike when I get the $$$ :macho The reason you hear more problems about Elka is because there are way more Elka's out there than PEP, TCS and Axis combined!!!

Taco
07-21-2003, 01:47 AM
Ok, I'll let you and your S10 pull the TQS trailer up 119 next trip;) I'll let Brian pull it with his Focus:D

QuadTrix6
07-21-2003, 08:40 AM
The reason you hear more problems about Elka is because there are way more Elka's out there than PEP, TCS and Axis combined!!!

:huh :ermm:

RiPPiNiTuP7
07-21-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought that statement was a little odd :huh

Pappy
07-21-2003, 08:47 AM

yeah you all are gonna have to wake up to the fact that elka has exploded into markets that most other shock manufactures havent been able to get into because of price and availability. maybe there is an even ballance of different shock owners on this site but i think its safe to say that between elka and works the "high " end builders arent even close to them in sales numbers.

if you go to a ride area all you see is works and ekla. and if you come to a gncc thats pretty much all ya see for the majority.

as far as whats the best one? who knows....i ride elka....i have pep's also....and i just ordered some LT ohlins to try out. they are all good....its the service i want not a name:cool:

250rmike
07-21-2003, 08:49 AM
ill beleive that about this site but out in the rest of the atv world i beleive there are still more pep just because they have been around for so long. just think all we hear is the bad most people dont comment on how good their elkas are

cdalejef
07-21-2003, 09:05 AM
I see fewer PEP's at GNCC's than anyother brand.
It seems whatever you are talking about people like to complain more than praise.

MOFO
07-21-2003, 09:07 AM
It seems whatever you are talking about people like to complain more than praise.

it sounds like you have been to a few GNCC races before.. :devil:

250rmike
07-21-2003, 09:08 AM
lol yea elkas coming up and more and more people are starting to use them i am mainly mx and some xc so thats where i got that info from.

QuadTrix6
07-21-2003, 09:14 AM

I could reply with something like this:

I see fewer ELKA's at GNC's than any other brand. and there are many members on here who run works, PEP, AXIS, Ohlins, TCS, FOX, MOTOWOZ and if you add all of them up it doesn't even compare to the amount of threads about ELKA problems. ELKA keeps comming out with so called quad rate shocks and new tripple rate rears when they can't even get down the valving on there single rates or keep there shocks together. at one time derisi didn't want to revalve elka because he said hes seen differnet parts in 2 shocks off the same bike.:ermm: if you guys like your elkas great but don't make up lame excuses about them breaking..im still looking for threads on AXIS PEP problems :confused:

But i won't waste my time :blah:

Pappy
07-21-2003, 09:16 AM
I see fewer ELKA's at GNC's than any other brand. and there are many members on here who run works, PEP, AXIS, Ohlins, TCS, FOX, MOTOWOZ and if you add all of them up it doesn't even compare to the amount of threads about ELKA problems. ELKA keeps comming out with so called quad rate shocks and new tripple rate rears when they can't even get down the valving on there single rates or keep there shocks together. at one time derisi didn't want to revalve elka because he said hes seen differnet parts in 2 shocks off the same bike.:ermm: if you guys like your elkas great but don't make up lame excuses about them breaking..im still looking for threads on AXIS PEP problems :confused:

prime example of why i started the other thread. go put your 2 cents in there:)

XANDADA
07-21-2003, 09:34 AM
I'll let Brian pull it with his Focus:D

:eek: No problem that POS can handle it. I'm assuming Rico's beer cooler isn't in the TQS trailer though cause then it may be another story :devil:

nacs400ex
07-21-2003, 09:37 AM
My Elkas are amazing but to tell you the truth, these are my first aftermarket shocks, so I would be talking out of my *** if I said they were the best. I think my next shock is gunna be PEP:D

07-21-2003, 10:37 AM
crankin em down doesnt hurt what do you think happens when you sit on it? i still only leave them compressed for the ride and not far just so the suspension does move down and the strap fall off

BigThumper33
07-21-2003, 11:12 AM
I could reply with something like this:

But i won't waste my time :blah:

Stop looking for threads with people complaining about AXIS or PEP problems, and start looking for threads with people WAITING for their peps, or axis.

I'm yet to have a problem with my elkas, and even if I did, I'd have them reworked before Wayne even thought about building me some PEPs!

When you wait 6 months for a set of shocks there better never ever be a problem. I got my elkas in 7 days, :blah: and am yet to be disappointed. My only disappointment was having to ride by myself while everyone else's crap is sitting in garage waiting for shocks.

Bill Fuller
07-21-2003, 11:20 AM
I suggest an easy solution to your problem......buy "some" shocks with a rezzie.I love my Elkas and my Axis is top notch as well....blew both sets last season so there:blah:

DEAL
07-21-2003, 11:26 AM
The reason you don't hear anything about pep's blowing is because half the people are still waiting to recieve theirs. :scary:

J/K:blah:

norrisboat
07-21-2003, 11:34 AM
Big Thumper,

I guess your not wanting to go fast then. Thats fine. The slower people the better. That way I can win the prize money.

I have ridden on pep and elkas and my pep just smoke those elkas.

For me there was no 6 month, 5,4,3 or even 2 month wait. I waited a little less than 2 months and it was well worth the wait.

You have to look at it like this. Would you rather wait to have your bentley made custom or just go down to geo and buy a metro on the spot.

Ill take the bentley. Its worth the wait to have a better ride.

07-21-2003, 11:34 AM
y is there such a long wait

BigThumper33
07-21-2003, 11:39 AM
How the hell are you going to take the prize money if your waiting for your shocks?

What happens if you have problems with them, are they going to be back on your doorstep, repaired, in a week like I can with my elkas? I doubt it!

Faster? HA, please. Get over yourself. I've talked to plenty of owners who have rode all brands of shocks. Jeff@TheQuadShop perfers his elkas over his old axis setup!

A friend of mine, Ron, who owns Certified Racing waited over 5 months for his PEPs, and he is a damn dealer! Not to mention Wayne jerked him around for over a month. Telling him they had been shipped when they weren't, etc.

:rolleyes:

07-21-2003, 11:42 AM
i waited 3 weeks for my works

400exBro
07-21-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by freeride132
i waited 3 weeks for my works

i waited 4 weeks...:(
but it was worth it over stock...

axis doesn't have that long of a wait???

you get what you pay for...

Pappy
07-21-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by 400exBro
i waited 4 weeks...:(
but it was worth it over stock...

axis doesn't have that long of a wait???

but put it this way, you can either wait a few more weeks and have a set of axis, tcs, or peps shocks last you for a season or two, instead of waiting 2 weeks being all happy ride for two races, they fall apart, send em back wait a week etc... i rather wait and get the perfect shock that will last and won't have problems..
rather then getting them fast, but they were built by rushing monkies, that just stick parts together and then later on have to miss a few races because i blew a seal or they malfuncationed in some way.... so you have to weight the factors out...

id suggest backing that comment up with fact not an opinion. if you cannot then maybe you need to think before you post. it doesnt matter what company you are refering to ...comments like that arent needed. post some facts not merely your uneducated opinion

MOFO
07-21-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
id suggest backing that comment up with fact not an opinion. if you cannot then maybe you need to think before you post. it doesnt matter what company you are refering to ...comments like that arent needed. post some facts not merely your uneducated opinion

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Everyone get quiet.....

Do you hear that?

I think its a can of whoop arse being opened....

:D :D :D

cdalejef
07-21-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by norrisboat
Big Thumper,

I guess your not wanting to go fast then. Thats fine. The slower people the better. That way I can win the prize money.

How much prize money are you willing to lay down on that statement?;)

400exBro
07-21-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

sorry i know it was not needy, but i am a little on the edge to day, had a bad day yesterday at the race track, didn't qualify...

i edited the post...
i have talked to some racers that have had theirs elka fall apart on them, and trust me there are only two main companies that are run in Ontario Elka or Axis, so far no one has a single complaint about their axis, just praise, elka that is a different story, Elka has been in this game for while now, why are there still bugs?? i would like to know that...

07-21-2003, 12:50 PM
How much prize money are you willing to lay down on that statement?;)

:muscle:

Pappy
07-21-2003, 12:56 PM
Elka has been in this game for while now, why are there still bugs?? i would like to know that...

be an informed consumer and call them and ask.

nacs400ex
07-21-2003, 01:16 PM
Sorry Timo, but I am going against ya with this one. I wouldnt talk out of your *** when you havent owned a set from your own experiences. I have my triple rate Elkas, and they are amazing. I have had ZERO problems with them. Axis and PEP are more money too, so you better be getting better shocks. For me the Elkas are working fin, I havent bottomed them out ONCE, and I even tried before. Denny's little knob broke up simply because a rock hit it. Its not Elkas fault a roost his somebodies shocks :rolleyes: I dont care what anyone says about Elkas, from my OWN personal experiences my Elkas run just aswell as PEP's. I raced agaisnt an R with them, and he couldnt believe how well it handled, especially for them not even being dialed in for me. I am gunna buy a different set of shocks for the R, because I want to beable to rate all the shocks myself. See what is the best in my opinion and then stick with it.

blasterkid
07-21-2003, 01:57 PM
yeah man i love my elkas too i mean all shocks blow seals its gona happen i went to my local track(atco raceway in nj) and there is a guy there who is like co owner i heard any way he is sponsered by jrd and is on there race team and he has axis he says he likes them but the seals blew 5 times on the rear. he wasnt bashing them just saying things happen.

i dont know if there are more elkas yet but they arnt that bad for me and thats what i like

Steven
07-21-2003, 02:10 PM
UPDATE:

Elaka is repairing the blown shock free of charge. They are also checking the other shock for me.

Thier customer service persanal were professonal and courteous.

C&D Racing gave me their number.

I'll report on thier turn-around time.

Steve

300XFST4602
07-21-2003, 02:13 PM
I can't wait to get my Elka , i think they are a great shock and have heard alot of good about them. It is just some peopel give them a bad rep.

400grl
07-21-2003, 02:23 PM
Again - I have to jump in and stick up for what i think is an excellent shock - I love my Elkas - and I have Axis to compare them with. We have Axis shocks on the Raptor - and my boyfriend likes my Elkas just as much if not more....and they are set up for my weight - not his.

Customer service is everything - if something breaks/has problems (this is going to happen with anything you buy) then what makes all the difference is how that situation is handled by the company and how you feel afterwards. I will gladly buy from lesser known companies if I know they have great customer service - rather than buy from expensive/popular companies who don't need to be courteous to the everyday racer/rider (I'm not implying that any of the shock makers have less than good customer service - referring to all quad accessory companies in general).

And when I got my Elkas - they were not the most popular shock builder......I took the chance and it paid off. I had heard good things about their service and their performance - and that's what sold them for me. I have never once regretted my choice.....

;)

QuadTrix6
07-21-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by 400grl
Again - I have to jump in and stick up for what i think is an excellent shock - I love my Elkas - and I have Axis to compare them with. We have Axis shocks on the Raptor - and my boyfriend likes my Elkas just as much if not more....and they are set up for my weight - not his.

;)

i think that your boyfriend might like the elka on the 400 because the 400 is such a better handling quad besides the shocks...its kind of hard to compare two different shocks on two different bikes with completly different geometry, set up for two different people. plus the raptor isn't known for its geometry

nacs400ex
07-21-2003, 02:48 PM
That pretty much sums it up. I sometimes e-mail Elkas asking them questions about tuning in the shocks. They always help me within one day. Thats pretty good service, considering I bought these shocks used.

BigThumper33
07-21-2003, 03:01 PM
A racing buddy, with a hermann R had to send his axis back twice to be reworked... all companies have problems...

I'm going with long travel this winter, and I'm going with PEP's. I love my elka's, but I can get a better deal through a friend of mine. I don't really think you can go wrong with any of them, and I know none of us are over riding their shocks...

user101
07-21-2003, 04:54 PM
i am sry i dissed ELKA. i hate my peps. i waited 7 months for some shocks when i could have gotten some equally as good shocks in 1-2 weeks.(ELKA) :D i havent had one singl prob with my elkas. ive heard of people having lots of probs with the rear conversion..cough..cough..nausty but i havent had any problem. when i first got them they were a little stiff but i called Elka and he gave me exact instructions how to fix it. they r great

QuadTrix6
07-21-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by user101
:D i havent had one singl prob with my elkas. ive heard of people having lots of probs with the rear conversion..cough..cough..nausty but i havent had any problem. when i first got them they were a little stiff but i called Elka and he gave me exact instructions how to fix it. they r great

I NEVER WROTE THAT, THE MODS LIKE TO MESS WITH ME :rolleyes:

07-22-2003, 01:02 AM
Alls I know is I ordered my peps got them in a week, they werent vavled quite right, so sent them to baldwin and had em back in 4 days. :)

I have ridden every shock hard cept motowoz and i will stick w/ my Axis for life:p

400exBro
07-22-2003, 03:10 AM
i have nothing against elka, it is just that they have been doing this for over a coupke of years now and they still don't have the game down yet... the prices between elka and axis are almost the same, axis is still more, but they have had championships and year of experience to back them up...

i guess you get what you pay for... i know a lot of people that are happy with their elkas, and some that aren't, so i guess there could be a bad batch... I guess i shouldn't be talking out of my *** but i have rode elkas before that were set up for 180 lbs mx rider and they were way to stiff for me(230lbs)... Maybe i will bit the bullet and try elka LT shocks for a while, sell em and get axis and see how they compare, so i can give an onest opion...

muff
07-22-2003, 03:50 AM
my friend has quadrate fronts and i have the rebuilt rear and neither one have had any problems and nothing but complements...and yes we ride hard

my tcs fronts work great and his tcs rear rebuild also works good, he had to get his rear rebuilt cause his ohlins blew...but thats what happens when you push your equipment

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/pd5d115b736b138d45e213416f6237ccc/fbc7f48a.jpg

400grl
07-22-2003, 04:53 AM
LOL!!!!! Yeah - even though the Raptor is set UP for MX.....I mean, you couldn't do anything else to it.....he DOES like my 440 better......that might have something to do with it....but not everything. ;) I am turning him to the Red side, though - he's shopping for a Honda now. Too much ride time on the ol' EX was a bad thing for his pocketbook.....heheheheheh:D

norrisboat
07-22-2003, 06:07 AM
I thought he was looking at the ol green machine of #69.

ranger400ex
07-22-2003, 06:09 AM
Well, I know this friend who's neighbor's kid's pet dog's veterinarian's lover's pimp's mother's son had "INSERT SHOCK NAME HERE" and after sailing off of a 600ft triple-table top double had the shocks snap in half-three-quarters and the shock foam started on fire. Bad part was an old lady in the crowd died cause the flames caught her hair on fire cause she used so much hairspray in it.:rolleyes: I know this cause a guy at the shop I "Race For" was talking about it.

riding/racing is 99.99999% rider and .0000001% shock, guess alot of you youngins got the best .0000001% you could, too bad you forgot the rest.

and don't mess with those who have the whole 100% ie Jeff, Dave,Chad, etc..

PS I run elka's, I have run PEP for a while,not too impressed with Ohlins, but they held up, and an older set of AXIS. All okay shocks out of the box, but all were great once setup properly for the rider/course/conditions by none other than..... the rider. YOU have to set them up, or find someone who can. I give Elka an extra nod, due to the fact they have taken care of any questions/concerns/issues without a hitch, and keep a personal touch to their service.

my .02, keep the change

Ben

400grl
07-22-2003, 06:24 AM
Norrisboat - yeah - he was likin' that quad, too - since it's similar to the EX in so many ways! :D

Steven
08-02-2003, 02:08 AM
CONCLUSION****

Elka service is stupendous! I tracked the shipping of my shocks. UPS ground it took 10 days to get from Florida to Bocherville, Canada.

The day they got the shocks, they fixed them and sent them back to me. I got them the following day!!

No leaks. Elka siad the seal was cut in a manufacturing defect.

Elka does provide great after sale customer service.... the best!

Steve

anywhereEx
08-02-2003, 02:18 AM
Glad to hear they took care of you.

Pappy
08-02-2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Steven
CONCLUSION****

Elka service is stupendous! I tracked the shipping of my shocks. UPS ground it took 10 days to get from Florida to Bocherville, Canada.

The day they got the shocks, they fixed them and sent them back to me. I got them the following day!!

No leaks. Elka siad the seal was cut in a manufacturing defect.

Elka does provide great after sale customer service.... the best!

Steve

well ofcourse:D they read this forum everyday.....and they wouldnt want to let one of us down:macho im glad to hear you were satisfied with the service they gave you.

250r(quadman19)
08-02-2003, 03:42 AM
i was thinking of getting some tcs long travel. does anybody like them or have heard anything about their long travel shocks. i think they just came out not to long ago

forum
08-05-2003, 09:53 AM

i have seen some elka fall right apart at a track!!!!

when was that?? cause i don't remember it.

thomas
08-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Hey Forum, long time no see!!
Richards rear went KABOOM in Paisley, but he had a new one in 2 days no questions asked!! So they stand behind their product!!

SGA
08-05-2003, 06:06 PM
Something I started wondering reading this thread. If you are only going to buy and use brand "A" shocks, then why even bother bashing brand "E" shocks?:confused:

toby400ex
08-05-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by SGA
Something I started wondering reading this thread. If you are only going to buy and use brand "A" shocks, then why even bother bashing brand "E" shocks?:confused: Because they need to justify the reason for spending $1200 on a front end:confused2

400exBro
08-05-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by thomas
Hey Forum, long time no see!!
Richards rear went KABOOM in Paisley, but he had a new one in 2 days no questions asked!! So they stand behind their product!!

he told me about it...

and what happend to ya, no one(denny, luke and you) weren't at the last race... it was okay but the idiots screwed up so bad, they lost our scoring sheets, it was just poorly organized...

anyways when i get back from Germany, we got to go to gopher or come and ride that local track...

Houser Cannondale
08-06-2003, 03:33 PM
anybody use tcs?? i have tcs quad rate LT on my cannondale and i love em.

400exBro
08-09-2003, 03:12 AM
o btw i decided that i am going to run elka LT shocks all around next year... i am going to try, and probably am going to like them becuase i am not pro so it won't bother me too much if they are a little out of wack... but if i have conistent porblems, they are going on ebay, and i will get axis...

but i know that will be happy with the elkas...:cool:

i am pretty sure my project is going to hual major ***, when it gets done :devil: can't wait to get started!!!!

nacs400ex
08-09-2003, 09:22 AM
So Timo what exactly are you doing now ? I would get a sparks motor until you get your crf450 motor. Then you can keep the motor as a backup or sell it.

400exBro
08-09-2003, 10:35 PM
no i am pretty sure that i won't need a back up... the z400 is going for sale tho, and my dad wants the 400ex over the z400... so i am pretty something new is coming...:devil:

Hendricks when are you getting your r,? i better see you at the line next season... or are you going to race RJ too, like this season´?? i will be at RJ this time, i can't wait to ride it, some one tell me what it is like..

nacs400ex
08-11-2003, 12:23 PM
Oh Timo, you will see me at the line next year. tonight my mom told me she knows how much I want to race. So now I can :D Now that my dad wants to race TT +30 class, and she said I have to do a few TT races,before I do MX. :blah: If I can get enough cash I will get some LT Axis or PEP, but if I dont get enough $$ I will settle on standard travel Elkas ( what I have now) but I would get some +3 +1 or +2+1, The R that I am getting, is gunna come with beadlocks and a laeger swinger, so that will be sweet. Durabreak axle, which I will just sell before I break it. Stock white plastic... I will prolly get some blue or silver plastic. She will sure haul *** with the 265.. not as much as Bobs 350 Powervalve. At the TT in parrysound he couldnt even keep the front end down. :eek2: For comparison, Thomas's KTM beat his ESR350. Thomas's bike HAULS!!!. The 250r's pretty much dominated at the TT race. But The Z400 won the pro class. He has a TC450 in it. He races the pro class, sponsored by Fibe and stuff. Well I will give ya an update on the R when I get it and I was gunna go to gohper this weekend, but there is no room in the horse trailer :grr: My mom has a ride in London. So I guess I wont be taking my dads 400ex there. Oh well.

aroracer72
08-11-2003, 05:58 PM
yeah, is this guy usin rezzi-less shocks on a mx track!!!...no wonder they blow, and i dont know this for shure, but i bet people are blowin there shocks a lot cause 1, they arnt usin shockwears, and they are scratchin the shaft, and 2 they order like rec shocks, and go to the motocross track every weekend, you cant use trail shocks on a MX track, unless you like takin a big risk of your shocksblowing or gettin damaged!!...theres my 2 cents...lol

outacontrol31
08-11-2003, 06:34 PM
All this boo hoo and haha about how shocks don't hold up, elkas, pep, axis, all of them sounds to me like yall need too look at this chart,
works dual rate-$300
elkas-around $600
axis-$900
2 sets of works to 1 set of elkas, 3 sets of works to 1 set of axis, quit complaining, after all shocks off you say 12 inches of travel at best, you legs offer at least 16 inches even if your short more if your tall.
learn to be a pro level rider on cheap stuff then switch to expensive stuff, if you got da $, which i don't so WORKS FOREVER!!!!!:macho

cdalejef
08-12-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by outacontrol31
All this boo hoo and haha about how shocks don't hold up, elkas, pep, axis, all of them sounds to me like yall need too look at this chart,
works dual rate-$300
elkas-around $600
axis-$900
2 sets of works to 1 set of elkas, 3 sets of works to 1 set of axis, quit complaining, after all shocks off you say 12 inches of travel at best, you legs offer at least 16 inches even if your short more if your tall.
learn to be a pro level rider on cheap stuff then switch to expensive stuff, if you got da $, which i don't so WORKS FOREVER!!!!!:macho Your way low on your prices bro! Do some more homework before you post!

nacs400ex
08-13-2003, 12:01 PM
sure your legs will give your body a break. But them works shocks sure wont give your quad a break. I wouldnt put on a pair of works on my quad even if they were given to me. A lot of them break if you take them on the MX track. Sure for trail riding, they are probably good.

Axis are the best, but the thing is, I dont have the $$$ for them, but hey thats why you gotta save money.:D

Rastus
08-13-2003, 04:05 PM
Either way, anything is better than stock.

outacontrol31
08-13-2003, 06:52 PM
Your way low on your prices bro! Do some more homework before you post!
I was giving axis, elka, and the others the benifit of the doubt, I realize works ain't all that great but i guarentee you one thing, learning to be fast on stock shocks before I moved up was the best thing I did, I see to many people get thier first quad and put all the good stuff on right away, and they can't seem to figure out why they can't keep up. start an bad stuff and learn to hang, move up to better stuff and your competitors will be wondering what hit them. same with me, I went stock for 2 years of motorcrossing, when I moved up i get better so much faster it wasn't even funny, now that i have works and are making all the jumps axis, pep, or elka will just make me faster,:macho

400exBro
08-13-2003, 09:43 PM
That is going to be sweet, Hendricks... ya my dad wants to race +30 mx tho, but there are no class... maybe i will tell him to race tt then...
but ya axis are good but i am sure that you will just as please as elkas lt shocks... i have never rode axis, i have rode elka but not to long(forums 426) they worked well but then again weren't valved for me...
i am going to order a full set of elkas with a JD rear swing arm and eyeball eng +3 lt a arms up front...

Jeff- i was wondering does elka make triple rate rear shocks??? and how much does it cost, with the linkage and what not...

popo
08-13-2003, 10:21 PM
It's kinda interesting reading the shock war forums. I was in the same boat about my Elka LT shocks. I was ready to give up on them and go with Axis, thinking I would have a better solution.

But after working with Jeff and Elka, dropping the spring rate and re-valve. I would not trade them for anything. Based on I am faster and more confident with them and you cannot compare the service level I recieved from the Quad Shop and Elka to Axis.

People need to consider what a-arms and other setups they have to factor how a shock performs.

cdalejef
08-14-2003, 01:46 AM
Jeff- i was wondering does elka make triple rate rear shocks??? and how much does it cost, with the linkage and what not... Yes they do but it will require a new swingarm for the 400ex.

400exBro
08-14-2003, 03:04 AM
so i would have to buy a Houser swing arm right inorder for it to work?? or can i use say a JD performance swing arm?? it would be +1.25 swing arm...

cdalejef
08-14-2003, 05:58 AM
As far as I know, the Houser is the one you have to use.