PDA

View Full Version : what is needed ya 125

jello
07-19-2003, 10:09 PM
I just got a 03 yz 125. I am 16 and I do all the work on my 400ex. I always do all the work so I will be doing all the work on my yz 125 also. What is needed to do after each ride and after a few rides? Just basicly what will I need to do to my bike?

Thanks
Jello

ZRider400
07-20-2003, 04:00 AM
check your owners manual.....

RiPPiNiTuP7
07-20-2003, 04:23 AM
Grab a service manual for it....

stiffy
07-23-2003, 06:50 AM
Make sure all of your bolts are tight when I got mine after the first ride almost all came loose. And then just normal maintenance change oil, make sure filter is clean, etc... Make sure all your spokes are tight. Also the first mod I put on mine where the v-force reeds and they made a huge difference I also put on a Bills pipe and silencer I can't remember what sprocket sizes I have on now but my bike hauls @$$. I wish I would have gotten a YZ250F I think it's much more fun to ride than my 125. Good Luck

07-24-2003, 10:21 AM
clean your air filter every 3-4 rides DEPENDING on what you were ridin on. mud, sand, road, gravel.. all changes with what you were ridin in. Ummm. Oil change ever 3-4 rides. tighten chain if you can fit more then 2 fingers in between the chain and the swingarm more towards the front sprocket.... Make sure all your bolts are tight.. Dont have to check them every time tho:rolleyes: whoever said that:rolleyes: and dont say im wrong becuz i have one of the most vibrative bikes there is and i never lose bolts unless it was my fault. Since your bike is new tho and you dont know who tightened them all you myswell check them all. thats about all i can think of. have fun.

stiffy
07-24-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by bobby88
clean your air filter every 3-4 rides DEPENDING on what you were ridin on. mud, sand, road, gravel.. all changes with what you were ridin in. Ummm. Oil change ever 3-4 rides. tighten chain if you can fit more then 2 fingers in between the chain and the swingarm more towards the front sprocket.... Make sure all your bolts are tight.. Dont have to check them every time tho:rolleyes: whoever said that:rolleyes: and dont say im wrong becuz i have one of the most vibrative bikes there is and i never lose bolts unless it was my fault. Since your bike is new tho and you dont know who tightened them all you myswell check them all. thats about all i can think of. have fun.

Did someone say to check them after every ride:confused: I remember saying make sure you check them after the 1st ride :rolleyes:

kxrider
07-24-2003, 02:21 PM
change your gear oil once a month, and clean the fliter every 2 rides, oil chain........:D

07-26-2003, 02:16 PM
what i usually do is before and after every race,or if normal riding then 3 rides is,check or change oil,check spokes,check chain,check fork seals,check for any type of breakage"mainly shifter,swingarm welds,and head tube",check or clean air filter,check my gas-oil ratio,and check over 1 more time for any loose bolts and then clean ...simple green and orange blast works the best..spray on leave for 2 min then sprays off without scrubbing:D

this may seem like alot but trust me on this,you will regret it after a few months when **** goes to falling apart on it if you dont check it.

hondafox440
07-26-2003, 06:10 PM
Since its brand new, go tear down the linkage, suspension, headset, and wheel bearings and regrease them all. Grease must be expensive in Japan because factories sure do skimp on it.

With my 125, I check my filter every ride, and clean as necesary. I change the oil every 5 hours run time. Check your spokes often, like every 10 hours run time. Keep the correct pressure in the tires, 12-16psi in the rear depending on terrain, and 14-18psi in the front depending on terrain. The softer the terrain, the lower the pressure, and vice versa. Keep your chain adjusted (I use the 3 finger method - should just be able to fit 3 fingers between the swingarm and chain right before the blastic swingarm chain rub guard starts).

The manufactuter suggests a new ring every 4 hours and piston every 10, but you should be able to go about 100 hours before reringing, and 200 before you get a new piston. Keep an eye on the compression. A 125 should have between 190 and 210 PSI. Mine is at 140 PSI now and still running (the new top end kit is in the mail, and I wouldn't suggest running it to this state). You can pick up a compression tester at most auto stores. Remember to keep the throttle wide open when testing.

Regrease all bearings 3 or 4 times a season unless you want to replace them once or twice a year.

Changing tires takes practice, but is a great skill to learn. Always try to keep fresh meat on the back.

The big thing is to get the suspension adjusted for your height and weight. Your manual should outline how to do this, and it makes a big difference.

Keep the bike jetted correctly, and you wont foul plugs. I clean my carb thoroughly 3 or 4 times a year, and give it a quick spray out every time I rejet.

Always mix your gas at 32:1, despite what anyone tells you. 40:1 is NOT an acceptable mixture. Always use 93 octane gas. MX2T is a great premix. It's cheap, and the cleanest burning premix out there.

Most of all, have fun.

86350x
07-27-2003, 09:43 AM
Your mixture depends on what type of 2 cycle oil your using. I run golden spector, and I always run a mix of race gas also. I mix mine at 52 to 1, and have never blown up any of my 2 strokes.

Other oils are not as expensive, but you also have to mix them richer ala 32 to 1.

Before somone spazzes saying 32 to 1 is the only way to go, everyone else here that races also uses the same set up as I do.

Bottom line
Read the back of the bottle:ermm: