PDA

View Full Version : Applying Mop n glo

400EXPILOT
01-17-2002, 11:34 PM
Went out and got some Mop n glo today and put it on with a rag.
Half of it came out really good and the other half just ok. What do you guys use to apply it?

EXtreme-
01-18-2002, 06:00 AM
I used a little kitchen sponge. The key is alot of light coats or you'll get streaks.

crday98
01-18-2002, 10:10 AM
i just soak a damp rag with it until the stuff is dripping off and wipe the quad down.it shines better than new with no streaks.you must use it above a certain temp or it will not work as well.it is pretty cold in pittsburgh right now so unless you applied it in a heated garage,that is probably why it didn't turn out as good as it should.;)

JabberJaw
01-18-2002, 12:07 PM
I can tell you this:

1. "FUTURE" works much better than Mop-N-GLO.
2. You have to wash the bike really well the first time you aply it.
3. An old sock works best to apply.
4. Put light coats on it.
5. Apply 4 coats the first time.
6. Wait 8 hours in between coat application.

After that you should only have to put 1-2 coats on it every other time you wash it. The coats apply much faster after the first time.

Evan
01-18-2002, 10:50 PM
I tried the mopnglo trick b/c everyone on here said it works, well for me it worked OK it made everything really sticky. (yes I had the blue bottle) Heres is what I use that to me IMO is 5x better is STP sun of a gun, get the spray bottle and there are 2 ways to apply, but here is what I recommend, For normal use spray on and use a rag to wipe off and clean takes dirt and dust away and makes mud come off easier, plus makes it just look clean kinda gives it a shine not very glossy and dust doesnt stick to it. Or number 2 is if you are going to sell your quad or take pics of it or just show it off spray on lightly all over some may pool up and run off just wipe up excess, let it sit, walk away and come back in an hour and your plastic looks better than new, gives it a deep "wet" look makes everything shine and hides scratches. JMO this what works for me.

crday98
01-18-2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by JabberJaw
I can tell you this:

1. "FUTURE" works much better than Mop-N-GLO.
2. You have to wash the bike really well the first time you aply it.
3. An old sock works best to apply.
4. Put light coats on it.
5. Apply 4 coats the first time.
6. Wait 8 hours in between coat application.

After that you should only have to put 1-2 coats on it every other time you wash it. The coats apply much faster after the first time. i'm not calling you a liar jabber but when i slop on 1 coat of mop n glow, in the matter of a minute my quad shines like you wouldn't believe.no light coats,no applying 4 coats,and no waiting 8 hours between applications(WHAT?):huh my quad will be getting dirty in about that time after cleaning it up:D .that seems a little too extreme to go through the extra work for the little difference(if any)that you will notice.it might be equal but i can't imagine anything that would make it shine better than mop n glow.:p

"BLAHH"300!!
01-19-2002, 12:28 AM
....pull the top open turn the bottle up side down and let it run out onto the plastic.....then whipe it off and get it dry...good as new.....

bakerboyz
01-20-2002, 05:45 AM
I tried the mopnglo trick b/c everyone on here said it works, well for me it worked OK it made everything really sticky. (yes I had the blue bottle)

What is the difference betweem the bottle colors. I tryed Mop & Glow and it did nothing. maybe I used the wrong bottle.

If I want it to shine, I use Armorall. But don't put it on the seat, you'll slide all over.

JabberJaw
01-20-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by crday98
i'm not calling you a liar jabber but when i slop on 1 coat of mop n glow, in the matter of a minute my quad shines like you wouldn't believe.no light coats,no applying 4 coats,and no waiting 8 hours between applications(WHAT?):huh my quad will be getting dirty in about that time after cleaning it up:D .that seems a little too extreme to go through the extra work for the little difference(if any)that you will notice.it might be equal but i can't imagine anything that would make it shine better than mop n glow.:p

We used both brands, Mop-N-Glo on one bike, Future on the other. So if you have not used Future, and taken the time to allow the coats to dry..... at least I know what you are missing!

I have not had to put any on my bike for that last 5 times out riding, and it is still shiney as H.E. Double toothpick! You can ask a few of the guys on here, I ride in some nasty stuff! I chose the Future because it stays on after the first few coats have hardened, allowing me, after that, to just touch up any new scuffs, in less than 5 minutes...

I don't care which one you use, I don't sell either :-)

P.S. It's ok if you call me a liar, everyone knows my "johnson" is not really a foot long! I'd have to break it in half!

Juggalo
01-20-2002, 03:39 PM
H-E double toothpick!? lol don't you mean double hockey sticks?

geez i aughta kick your A- double crooked letter

crday98
01-20-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by JabberJaw
everyone knows my "johnson" is not really a foot long! I'd have to break it in half! :D LMAO:D

i never had any trouble with mop n glow holding up.i apply one coat and it is good for quite a few rides for the exception of where my bootd rub against the rear fenders.the shine rubs off but the dirt doesn't scuff up the plastic.i ride in coal dirt 95% of the time.

01-21-2002, 06:01 AM
Armorall works better than mop n glo, but mop n glo works a little. You could try both.

I use a sprayer to apply it than use a sponge.

JabberJaw
01-21-2002, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by QuadKid250EX
Armorall works better than mop n glo, but mop n glo works a little.

uHHHHH, I could use some Crisco, or Mazola oil on a sponge and get the same results as Armorall!!! The fact that it never dries means, more dirt and dust cling to your bike. It is also water resistant making it more difficult to wash your bike.

Mop-n-Glo dries all the way, is not oily, and creates a shell over the plastic. I agree that Armorall may look shiney in the light, but so does baby oil.

Scott
01-21-2002, 08:38 AM
baby oil
wd-40
brake fluid

aahhhhh...... shiney.......

Baby oil works well on the plastic.
WD-40 really shines up the seat/handlebars/grips.
And Brake fluid and a little elbow grease will make a pipe look better than new.

;)

"BLAHH"300!!
01-21-2002, 05:58 PM
but.are you bull.$iht'n will brake fluid realy take the "stain" off my head pipe.....?...ouse mine looks like crud...i took an electric sander to it one day with a real fine papper and it worked good for a few rides ..now it's back to where i started...so will brake fluid realy make all that rust come off there....??? don't get me out there putting some stuff on my pipe and when i crank it it starts smokin' and i can't even get close enugh to ride it for all the smoke...

Scott
01-22-2002, 06:05 AM
You called it ex-citing300. You will be amazed how much better the pipe looks after a little brake fluid, but I recommend having a buddy do it first so you can enjoy the laugh. It will be shiny, until you start it up and the quad disappears in a cloud of smoke. We've done that to a couple guys that ride with us. Always good for a laugh. It will look better while it's parked though...

JabberJaw
01-22-2002, 07:38 AM
Ahhh! Another racing technique! Put a little on before the race and the guys behind you won't be able to see!

shamisc
02-03-2002, 08:40 PM
TRY AN OLD SOCK OR RAG SOAKED WITH WD-40. I USUALLY PUT A COUPLE OF COATS ON. IT WILL MAKE THE PLASTIC LOOK BETTER THAN NEW ( UNTILL IT GETS DIRTY AGAIN )
AND YOU WON'T HAVE TO WAIT FOR HOURS. IT ALSO MAKES IT EASIER TO GET MUD OFF DURING THE NEXT BATH !

400exdad
02-09-2002, 10:23 PM
Get some Tire Gel for the plastic. Holds up pretty good too. Smells like grape Nehi though... :D

What do folks use to get the black off of the red seat covers. I've tried almost everything. Almost melted the cover one time with some chemical... got a little soft.