PDA

View Full Version : Need help with contact lenses please

dwcrash
07-19-2003, 04:29 PM
My goggles are allowing a little too much air in making my vision real blurry. I have to just stop and refocus when this happens. I wear Scott goggles. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Do i need to invest in a better pair of goggles or what? Any help is appreciated:confused:

K_Fulk
07-19-2003, 04:35 PM
It happens to me too with my spy's or oakleys. I just kinda blink my eyes when it starts.

hondafox440
07-19-2003, 04:42 PM
That happened to me during a race today. In the braking bumps too. Just blink a few tims quickly and it should rewet and refocus. You may want to try some rewetting drops before riding. I have Spy goggles. You can try tightening the strap on yours so they fit snug against your face - it may reduce air flow.

400grl
07-19-2003, 06:30 PM
Yeah - that happens to me every time I start out - and it totally sucks. Especially in a race....it happens to me with Oakleys, too - cuz our goggles are vented, so it lets air through. It helps a little to seat your goggles firmly on your face and make sure they are tight as you can get them without popping your eyes out.....but the only time I've been able to NOT have that problem was with a brand new pair of goggles....guess the foam is fluffier at first or something. I've even had my contact blow right out of my eye before.....and I found it on my goggle lense after the race!!!

Can you say LASIK??? :) ;)

WEEZIL
07-19-2003, 06:31 PM
i have 2 pair of scotts neigther of them give me problems.

250rtone
07-19-2003, 06:50 PM
I wear pro grip goggles and most of the time i have no problems, and i have been wearing contacts for 10 years or longer. Just try to focus on blinking more often when you are riding and once you get in the habit of doing so... it will become a habit. I hope this makes some sence to you.:ermm:

trueblue450
07-20-2003, 08:51 AM
i got scott goggles for kids.. hahaha
but they are so tight around your face..:macho

QuadJunkies
07-20-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by dwcrash
My goggles are allowing a little too much air in making my vision real blurry. I have to just stop and refocus when this happens. I wear Scott goggles. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Do i need to invest in a better pair of goggles or what? Any help is appreciated:confused: happens to me all the time......:( 300exman......you hit it right on the nose......I have a smaller bridge to my nose and had to switch for a youth goggle and it helped ALOT! ....BUT......didnt elimated it..IVe tried rewetting blinking alot, it dont matter what you do.the air just dries them out and if you dont get a good venilated goggle, then you run inot a "haze" in your contacts that forms from too much trapped moisture and heat in the goggle... Im with 400grl..LASIK is the answer.......:)

cdalejef
07-20-2003, 10:45 AM
Ever since I started using Smith Warp goggles this has not been a problem for me anymore. I have been racing with contacts for 15 years and this has been the only solution I have found.

QuadJunkies
07-20-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Ever since I started using Smith Warp goggles this has not been a problem for me anymore. I have been racing with contacts for 15 years and this has been the only solution I have found. Jeff, I have never hear of these goggles......Do you have a link for them>? I would be interested........;) I hav elearned to just deal with my contacts bluuring up..... Has this illiminated the blurring problem too? Are they a ventalated goggle?

cdalejef
07-20-2003, 10:54 AM
QJ.....go here http://www.whitebrothers.com/PDFsections/Eyewear.pdf about 3/4 of the way down on page 663. I don't get any bluring or anything. Believe it or not they have better fog resistence than any goggle I have ever used/

QuadJunkies
07-20-2003, 11:00 AM
QJ.....go here http://www.whitebrothers.com/PDFsections/Eyewear.pdf about 3/4 of the way down on page 663. I don't get any bluring or anything. Believe it or not they have better fog resistence than any goggle I have ever used/ Thanks Jeff!;) now Im looking and I dont see if they come in a Youth size?? I Def. like a smaller goggle.

86350x
07-20-2003, 12:01 PM
Everytime I ride at the track it is all dusty and dry no matter what for some reason (must be my luck:ermm: )

I just gave up and wore glasses when riding.

However, seen someone was mentioning eye surgery up there. Don't mean to hi jack the thread, but has anyone here had it done, and how much does it cost? 1500 per eye? Thats not too bad, was just wondering how the long term outcomes of these procedures have been going.:confused:

It would be nice to not have to ware contacts or glasses anymore. Aside from that both problems mentioned above are twice as worse when your jet ski'ing or snowmobiling.:(

cdalejef
07-20-2003, 02:25 PM
Rowlrag has had it done, PM or email him jrr@insightbb.com

Dirt
07-20-2003, 02:46 PM
I have also questioned that LasiK. It sounds very nice but i would still like to hear some first person opinions. Rowlrag?
I have heard that you lose some night vision.? Anyone had any bad experiences? I don't like the fact that you are awake and watch them cut your eye open.

rowlrag
07-20-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by dwcrash
My goggles are allowing a little too much air in making my vision real blurry. I have to just stop and refocus when this happens. I wear Scott goggles. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Do i need to invest in a better pair of goggles or what? Any help is appreciated:confused:
If you can afford it get the laser eye surgery. I had it done for the same problems you guys have. My contacts would start to float around, sometimes having to stop and fix, since the surgery not a single problem, and you can finance it. Overall one of the safest things i've done.

yellowex01
07-20-2003, 03:48 PM
I just had the surgery done a week ago friday.. WOW what a difference. No pain whatsoever. My vision is at 20-15 right now. Perfect vision at night as well. No halos or blurring. If you can get it done, DO IT..

rowlrag
07-20-2003, 04:10 PM
I had mine done about 5 yrs ago, 20-15 then probly 20-20 now, dark shadowed areas are sometimes blurred, other than that no probs.

hondafox440
07-20-2003, 04:20 PM
Ever since I started using Smith Warp goggles this has not been a problem for me anymore. I have been racing with contacts for 15 years and this has been the only solution I have found.

I used to use Warps, but recently switched to Spys. I don't like the straps on the Warps, and they didn't fit right when riding or snowboarding. Not the best goggles out there IMO.

I wanna get LASIK but "I have to wait untill my eyes stop growing", so basically until im 18. Being 14 (15 tomorow) sucks.

400grl
07-20-2003, 05:53 PM
I am going to get LASIK soon - I have worn contacts since I was 11 years old, and I'm just so sick of them........everyone I know that has it done loves it.....there are some problems you can have, but that's the case with anything you do....just have to make sure the risks are worth the benefits...and I think in this case they definately are. It's a little ways down the line - but definately going to happen.....:D

QuadJunkies
07-20-2003, 06:04 PM
I guess Im a bit nervous about the surgery myself.I had two family members do it, and ther sight if worse than before??:huh I hear more GOOD than BAD though,would be nice if insurance paid for it..........is the surgery ok for people with stigmatism too? my Eys sight is like 20/2500most due to stigmatism

86350x
07-20-2003, 10:49 PM
How weird is the night time blurr? I like to ride at night after work ( actually not by choice, work second shift durring the week:( ) How long does it take to set in? Do you ever have to ware either or anymore?

Was the procedure painful at all?:confused:

How much did it set you back?:confused:

yellowex01
07-21-2003, 12:02 AM
Quadjunkies. Yep it good for astigmatism, thats what I have..

350x. No pain during surgery. Mine lasted 8 minutes

No nighttime blur

Your vision is immediate. If you dont stay on top of using your eye wetter then they get a little blurry. as soon as you put the wetter in your eyes it clears right up.

Mine was $2400 +$300 for lifetime enhancements.
If my vision ever gets to where I need surgery again it wont cost me anything..:)

MOFO
07-21-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
I guess Im a bit nervous about the surgery myself.I had two family members do it, and ther sight if worse than before??:huh I hear more GOOD than BAD though,would be nice if insurance paid for it..........is the surgery ok for people with stigmatism too? my Eys sight is like 20/2500most due to stigmatism

wow, I thought I was bad with 20/525. :eek: I'm waiting for some procedures that require MUCH less work to be done on the eye. My G/F had it done about 1.5 years ago and everything seems to be fine. She is 20/15. Her friend had it done using an older procedure 4 years ago and he has to go back for more surgery. This is something I want to avoid all together...

QuadJunkies
07-21-2003, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by VWVR6
wow, I thought I was bad with 20/525. :eek: I'm waiting for some procedures that require MUCH less work to be done on the eye. My G/F had it done about 1.5 years ago and everything seems to be fine. She is 20/15. Her friend had it done using an older procedure 4 years ago and he has to go back for more surgery. This is something I want to avoid all together... LOL.....:p yeah Im legally blind w/o them,mostly due to Stigmatism.I wonder why insurance wont pay to the surgery:confused: .I bet overall costs over a life time of lenses would be cheaper this way.......

stace609
07-21-2003, 03:37 AM
i can't believe i'm hearing this now, i just got a year supply of contact lenses through my insurance so i'm stuck now because i thought they'd be better for riding than glasses.:confused2

i just talked to a friend about lasik last week because she had it done and nothing as different she's wearing her glasses again. i'm sure there are more positive than negative but i'd be scared to drop all that money and then nothing.

Doibugu2
07-21-2003, 04:15 AM
For those of you that are thinking of doing the lasik surgery. Look into using your flexible spending at work. Its where your company takes out a certain amount of money from your check each week (pretax). I think the most you can do in 1 year is up to $2000. But you can use the $2000 at anytime. So if you start to do this Jan 1, you can due your surgery Jan 2, and pay $2k worth of it right than.

So your basically getting free loan for a year. It also has some small tax benifits but I won't go into that.

QuadJunkies
07-21-2003, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
For those of you that are thinking of doing the lasik surgery. Look into using your flexible spending at work. Its where your company takes out a certain amount of money from your check each week (pretax). I think the most you can do in 1 year is up to $2000. But you can use the $2000 at anytime. So if you start to do this Jan 1, you can due your surgery Jan 2, and pay $2k worth of it right than.

So your basically getting free loan for a year. It also has some small tax benifits but I won't go into that. wow.........thanks for the scoop!:)

07-21-2003, 04:19 AM
May I recommend some good beer goggles...:tired:

cdalejef
07-21-2003, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by Rico
May I recommend some good beer goggles...:tired: You don't need them when QJ is involved!!!:D

hondafox440
07-21-2003, 05:29 AM
You can get it done in Canada for about 400$ American per eye..

Im not sure what I am without contacts (like 20/??) but I know my perscription is like -7.50 in the left and -6.50 in the right.

crap-banshee32
07-21-2003, 05:32 AM
i have scott googles and contacts and i hjave no problem

FourFiftyFour
07-21-2003, 07:00 AM
Ive had a hard time with this... every race my left contact lense woulkd fall out and it wouldnt matter what goggles Id be using... and they were brand new and really worn ones i was using... I just got these contacts lenses called night and day lenses and they dont dry out as bad.. u dont have to change them or take them out for a month.. so u can sleep with them in for a month and they havent been buggin me and I raced last saturday and I had no problems with them dryin out or anything

QuadJunkies
07-21-2003, 07:07 AM
You don't need them when QJ is involved!!!:D :)

DaveEX7
07-21-2003, 08:18 AM
I have the same contact lenses Cdale, but mine still fall out for some reason, I wear goggles and I dont keep my eyes open for that long but I will still have to stop and put it back in cause Im blind without them.

Doibugu2
07-21-2003, 08:19 AM
wow.........thanks for the scoop!:)

No problem.

rowlrag
07-21-2003, 03:25 PM
:) Do I need them Beer goggles Rico? Anyway QJ, it's the same BS as peeps fighting over what shocks are better.

MOFO
07-21-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by rowlrag
Do I need them Beer goggles Rico? Anyway QJ, it's the same BS as peeps fighting over what shocks are better.

just my 0.02 but you seemed to have pretty good taste boozed up in WV. :eek: LOL!

rowlrag
07-21-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by VWVR6
just my 0.02 but you seemed to have pretty good taste boozed up in WV. :eek: LOL!
Is that an insult? :grr:

rowlrag
07-21-2003, 03:40 PM
Gotta admit, the little blonde was hot!

QuadJunkies
07-21-2003, 04:20 PM
Gotta admit, the little blonde was hot! I think I need Q'd in on this one........:eek2: then again..maybe its best I dont.......:p

rowlrag
07-21-2003, 04:49 PM
I think I need Q'd in on this one........:eek2: then again..maybe its best I dont.......:p
Huh, you really don't wanna know:confused2

QuadJunkies
07-21-2003, 04:49 PM
Huh, you really don't wanna know:confused2 Lol.ok then, Ill take your word......;)

86350x
07-21-2003, 06:51 PM
Now, after reading a few other posts, I'm on the nervous side again:confused: I could have the surgery done anytime now, but I only get one pair of eyes to use, and there are too many things I'd miss seeing if they messed them up.

I'm gonna have to talk to some more people who have had it done first. I want to be able to wear regular sunglasses again, and not have to have perscription goggles for jet ski'ing n stuff like that, so i'm leaning towards taking the risk and having it done.

On the goggle topic again, who here has goggles that don't cut into your face. I'vve tried scott, and smith, both were un-comfertable. Ryan Hughes has had a big goggle scar on his face forever too, it mostly healed up while he was on his early retirement, since he returned to racing again, there it is all over again.

:ermm:
Right now, I just wear glasses, or sun glasses.:confused2

MOFO
07-22-2003, 12:04 AM
Gotta admit, the little blonde was hot!

Of course, she was the only good looking one in that place! Well, unless your Rico, then Peaches starts to look good too I guess. :eek: