PDA

View Full Version : drag racing techniques?

zoom400ex
07-19-2003, 03:59 PM
what is the best way to start on a harder pact surface for a drag race? like what gear and do you dump the clutch or just let it out slow? how do you shift through the gears?

what are some good ways to start off on sandy conditions too?

speedy400
07-19-2003, 04:06 PM
well for dry gravel I just have my upper body forward and my ***** way back and if I start wheelying I move more forward, I Always start and rev all the way in 2nd. for tar, I have my body really far forward and slip the clutch just a little bit.-darren

Narly R
07-19-2003, 04:27 PM
Well I Pull in the clutch and pin it and then let the clutch out, and then shift as fast as I possible can...:ermm:

300exracer
07-19-2003, 04:31 PM
On a hard packed surface I keep my balls on the bars and dump it in 1st gear:devil:

400exrules
07-19-2003, 05:20 PM
dump the clutch in usually 2nd and power shift........for dirt

curtissparks400
07-19-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
dump the clutch in usually 2nd and power shift........for dirt

word

310Rduner
07-19-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by curtissparks400
word

if they find you.. they will beat you...:grr:

Narly R
07-19-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by 310Rduner

Ya what he said! I wounder where we should start.... gerrrrrr!:grr:

curtissparks400
07-19-2003, 06:28 PM

hahah what are u talkin about

310Rduner
07-19-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by curtissparks400
hahah what are u talkin about

it is too late.. i will miss you .. (maybe)

TheRedRebel17
07-19-2003, 06:41 PM
I know that you are supposed to start in the higest possible gear that the motor will pull and feather the clutch.:ermm:

bansheeguy77
07-20-2003, 01:26 AM
depends on ur quad....on like the road start in 2nd leaning forward with butt back then ride the clutch out...u wont wheelie. on loose stuff i did that too...worked good

Fender Bender
07-20-2003, 06:23 AM

We will let this one go... he didn't know. Just don't let the word slip again;)

EvilJester400EX
07-20-2003, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by Fender Bender
We will let this one go... he didn't know. Just don't let the word slip again;)

Newbies... :rolleyes:

400exrules
07-20-2003, 06:44 AM
granny shift like them fellars in fast and furious said, they know it all :huh

wtf is granny shifting :confused:

CowsBitePeople
07-20-2003, 07:37 AM
About 30 seconds before on pave masnt spin ur tires for about 5-10 seconds then when ur about to go hold in the front brakes and let the cluth out alittle so it gets the slack out of the chain....

Fender Bender
07-20-2003, 08:18 AM
granny shift like them fellars in fast and furious said, they know it all :huh

wtf is granny shifting :confused:

Granny shifting is normal shifting... they wanted to make double clutching sound fancy, when it is only needed in an old Kenworth that doesnt have synchros in the tranny.

250x#93
07-20-2003, 08:23 AM

Damn guys whats wrong wit sayin that:confused: I don't quite get it, he can't say that but if he quoted and said that thats the same thing he thought it would be better????:confused: Sorry bout my confusion but I just don't get what the harm is in sayin that, Does it have a meanin I don't know about or what???:confused: I don't get how we can say **** but not word

DEAL
07-20-2003, 08:24 AM
On pavement I always start in first.
Let out the clutch quickly but not too quickly that you will wheelie.
Then you just go through the gears as quickly as possably.
Atleast thats how I do it.

MOUSE
07-20-2003, 10:01 AM

:huh

Glow Plug
07-20-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by 250x#93
Damn guys whats wrong wit sayin that:confused: I don't quite get it, he can't say that but if he quoted and said that thats the same thing he thought it would be better????:confused: Sorry bout my confusion but I just don't get what the harm is in sayin that, Does it have a meanin I don't know about or what???:confused: I don't get how we can say **** but not word

yeah what is up with that I'm wondering to :confused:

hessianmx111
07-20-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by 250x#93
word

Scott-300ex
07-20-2003, 01:21 PM
i don't get the find....beat thing either

but for fast shifting don't use your clutch, if you do....what they call speed shift....then you will burn up and wear out your clutch, and you can shift a lot faster without having to pull in the lever

MOUSE
07-20-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex

but for fast shifting don't use your clutch, if you do....what they call speed shift....then you will burn up and wear out your clutch, and you can shift a lot faster without having to pull in the lever

:huh and also tear the transmision all to pieces

Chef
07-20-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by MOUSE

Really, you think it tears the tranny all to pieces...thats kinda funny.

Taco
07-20-2003, 02:09 PM
yea it will tear the tranny up unless you do it right. no matter what its a lil harder on the syncros (sp?)

MOUSE
07-20-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Chef
Really, you think it tears the tranny all to pieces...thats kinda funny.

actually yes i do i think its harder on the bike than what it would be if he uses the clutch

NTPRacing#19
07-20-2003, 02:13 PM
i dont think a quad has syncros, if im wrong then im suprised.

heres a tip for when you are starting off behind lights

dont watch for the light to turn green, watch for the red light to go out!

400exrules
07-20-2003, 02:17 PM

soooo.........using the clutch while powershifting, tears up your tranny and clutch?

nismo
07-20-2003, 02:19 PM
all i have to say is the clutch is there for a reason

Taco
07-20-2003, 02:19 PM
yea so you can stop and keep the motor running
:D

MOUSE
07-20-2003, 02:26 PM
soooo.........using the clutch while powershifting, tears up your tranny and clutch?

reread the other post i replied to and he says that it saves time not to pull in the lever

400exrules
07-20-2003, 02:27 PM
OH OK, so NOT pulling in the lever while powershifting is wuts so bad ............right? sry if im wrong im not the master mechanic

zoom400ex
07-20-2003, 02:28 PM
ya so should i use my clutch or not:confused:

MOUSE
07-20-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by nismo

:D :cool:

250x#93
07-20-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by nismo

Amen:cool: HAHA Yup I agree except for when I tryin to go really fast then i might not use it

TravEX
07-20-2003, 03:36 PM
when i drag race i clutch to shift but the throttle is always pegged, i don't let off the throttle till the race is over ( that is my understanding of the term 'speed shifting' ),,,another thing to always be careful of is to make sure that your foot completly comes clear of the shifter after you shift, cause if the shifter has a little pressure left on it from your foot it won't take the next gear,,,i know that's common sense, but it's happened to me a few times cause i'm all wrapped up in the excitement of the race,,,,later

TravEX
07-20-2003, 03:40 PM

when not using the clutch, do you have the throttle wide open, or do you let off?

will the tranny even take an upshift at WOT?

Scott-300ex
07-20-2003, 03:46 PM
i new that me saying that was going to bring flaming

when you race, if you let of the gas and pick up the lever then get back on you should be fine, ask professionals and see if they all use the clutch when shifting, and im sure most would say they don't everytime

also, many people have told me that they are made to do that, otherwise you will burn up and wear out your clutch

im saying this only when you are drag racing, since this is a drag racing thread, now if you are just riding then pull in the clutch, but if you are riding to beat someone in a straight line, you don't need to use the clutch, just let off the gas

(also i always use the clutch while downshifting)

don't reply to me any of your stupid chit, if you have something to say, please post it in a non-flamable manner, not that im the boss or whatever but i hate people like that

07-20-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by zoom400ex
what is the best way to start on a harder pact surface for a drag race? like what gear and do you dump the clutch or just let it out slow? how do you shift through the gears?

what are some good ways to start off on sandy conditions too?

well i keep the revs way up and just keep them there, dont let it bounce off the rev limiter but keep them where the motor makes the most power and just keep the revs there then control the power and everything using the clutch you can feel how much wheelspin or if the fronts gonna come up through the clutch if the fronts coming up you might have to slip the clutch a lil to keep it from coming way up or if you spinning do the same til you get traction its hard to explain but u get the idea:ermm:

Scott-300ex
07-20-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by TravEX
when not using the clutch, do you have the throttle wide open, or do you let off?

will the tranny even take an upshift at WOT?

sorry i posted before i saw your post

like i said in my previous post i don't hold it wide open, if i did then i would be afraid of something happening, i would never do that

if you do it while wide open it will be hard to shift into and probably do damage, but when letting the motor wind down by letting off the gas, it just slips in to gear

07-20-2003, 03:53 PM
oh yeah a big key to holeshotting or dragging is knowing where your motor peaks out and then making a smooth shift to the next gear til your topped out....sometimes under hard accleration you need to use the clutch to shift it.... i notice the shift to 2nd gear is the only one that gives me trouble

TravEX
07-20-2003, 04:07 PM
i new that me saying that was going to bring flaming

when you race, if you let of the gas and pick up the lever then get back on you should be fine, ask professionals and see if they all use the clutch when shifting, and im sure most would say they don't everytime

also, many people have told me that they are made to do that, otherwise you will burn up and wear out your clutch

im saying this only when you are drag racing, since this is a drag racing thread, now if you are just riding then pull in the clutch, but if you are riding to beat someone in a straight line, you don't need to use the clutch, just let off the gas

(also i always use the clutch while downshifting)

don't reply to me any of your stupid chit, if you have something to say, please post it in a non-flamable manner, not that im the boss or whatever but i hate people like that

i wasn't flaming or trying to be stupid,,,i was just trying to understand how you can keep your speed up if you let off and shift without the clutch,,,sure, my way is hard on the clutch, but i rarely do that (just drag racing), and your clutch is gonna wear out sometime anyway, hehe, and when it goes that will be a good excuse for me to get a hydraulic clutch anyway,,,later

user101
07-20-2003, 04:30 PM
uhhhh...go fast

simple as that

MOUSE
07-20-2003, 04:31 PM
i apologize if it sounded like i was flaming it wasnt meant to sound that way. but i have seen with my own eyes what shifting without using the cutch can do. as for me i would rather replace clutch plates than my tranny :cool:

TravEX
07-20-2003, 04:38 PM
i apologize if it sounded like i was flaming it wasnt meant to sound that way. but i have seen with my own eyes what shifting without using the cutch can do. as for me i would rather replace clutch plates than my tranny :cool:

i agree,,,

with all the quick replies it's hard to keep up,,,i thought he thought i was flaming him:eek2: ,,,oh well,,,everythings cool now,,,

later

Scott-300ex
07-20-2003, 04:41 PM
im sorry, i didn't mean to point any fingers about flaming, i just can't stand that stuff if you know what i mean, and i don't want to turn this guys question into an off topic fight like other people do (which i can't stand)

we're all friends here.........lol

TravEX
07-20-2003, 04:49 PM
right:D

Sparky416ex
07-20-2003, 06:32 PM
when you see the yellow light...GO!!

400exrules
07-21-2003, 04:07 AM
ya when you get fully staged punch the throttle (with clutch in)
and dump the clutch on the first yellow light before the green

660r2a400ex
03-25-2004, 10:08 PM
well when i drag race i rag the $hizzles out of my bike, drive it like you stole it. if you dont wanna be hard on your engine and aint gonna use 100 % of your bike then dont even bother to line it up. you will find some people out there that can just flat out drag, dont know why how or what it is they just have it in them and others dont, if dragging aint your thing find something else, mx, tt, xc, other things out there besides dragging

03-26-2004, 11:01 AM
Don't turn the bars...:eek2: IT' takes a lot of practice but you'll catch on...:huh