PDA

View Full Version : Applying New Graphics Kit

Moto92
08-11-2001, 01:07 AM
I got my new graphics kit today and the directions kind of shocked me. It says to drain the fuel tank and let it sit with the cap off for 24 hours to vent any fumes. The reason it gives for this is that the fumes with effect the curing of the adhesive and cause bubbles. Ive never heard of such a thing. Is this the process that everyone else has used, and if not did it cause any problems?

crday98
08-11-2001, 11:34 AM
i didn't drain my tank to apply my graphics about 4 1/2 months ago and have had no trouble with them peeling or bubbling.a little tip for installing them:use a hairdryer or let the graphics sit in the sun to get them nice and warm/hot ,they will go on much easier.

FoxRacing400EX
08-11-2001, 02:58 PM
I also read something in a magazine once, they used a mixture of dish soap and water then sprayed a little on the bike where the graphics were supposed to go and it helped them get them in the right spot by allowing them to slide a little and adjust them to the exact spot they need the sticker to be....

skull
08-11-2001, 11:14 PM
there is a solution avalible that does exactly that, it lets you slide them around a little before they adhere. I dont remember where to get it though, anyone heard of this stuff?
check out these graphics.

08-13-2001, 09:03 AM
Just use water in a spray bottle,,,spray the plastic and the sticky part of the graphics,,,this will work like a champ...

08-15-2001, 12:06 AM
Put Factory Effex graphics on my 400 on saturday, just cleaned plastic with lacquer thinner first the sprayed plastic with straight water. I used a nice soft cloth to work out any bubbles - they trned out better than expected. You only have to drain your fuel tank if the graphics go directly on the tank- like on a dirtbike, plastic fuel tanks actually give off vapor from the fuel inside the tank.

honda4life
08-15-2001, 06:26 AM
Like Rico says, spray the plastic and the back of the graphics. This works pretty good, then work out the air bubbles. I think the draining of the fuel was referring to the bikes, probably some type of universal instruction sheets.