PDA

View Full Version : Pipe melting clutch cable!!

400exbiggun
07-19-2003, 01:37 AM
Ok, this might be a stupid question, but where do you guys put the clutch cable near the pipe, my old one frayed, so i put in a new one, but it keeps touching the header, and now is burning a hole in it. :eek2: I put it in between the headers, then there is a little clip up in the white plastic in front of the tank, did i miss anything? because i dont want to burn a hole straight through. I have tried different ways(obviouslynot the right), some it would not touch the header, but then the cable would not reach the bars.
any help would be nice:rolleyes:

Pappy
07-19-2003, 01:39 AM
try a peice of heat tape or stainless line

400exbiggun
07-19-2003, 01:48 AM
ok, so do i have it going in the right spot??

Pappy
07-19-2003, 01:52 AM
i had the same problem on my old 400...so on my new one i ran the cable in the stock position and used a piece of 1/2 inch stainless braided line about 8 inches long. it just slid over the cable and doest move. it fully protects it against the header burning it.

any local speed shop or parts place should have heat tape. a few wraps and you should be good to go

400exbiggun
07-19-2003, 02:02 AM
thanks pappy:D

RiPPiNiTuP7
07-19-2003, 02:53 AM
LRD sells longer clutch cables...

dariusld
07-19-2003, 02:59 AM
I bent the guide on the engine. The cable touched the header, I bent the guide and now it doesn't. Any time I put a header on, I bend it. I see others that didn't bend theirs and the cable is melted.

norcalatver
07-19-2003, 03:58 AM
I put a longer clutch cable on. Even though the cable didn't touch the headers the heat would still deform the plastic shielding and cause premature aging on the cable which causes hard pull. I bought my cable from motion pro directly. Ordered it 6" longer than stock and routed it along the frame by the oil tank.

modracer5
07-19-2003, 05:47 AM
i had the same problem with melting cables...then i ordered 2 cables from terrycable ...i had the end on the motor side made straight and 1 foot extra in length added overall...i also had them put 2 of their heat shield springs on. the cable set me back 29.00 each but i have over a year on the first one now. but doing this allows you keep the cable along the frame past the oil tank and up to the bars with exra to spare.