PDA

View Full Version : Ben spilled his milk on the server again...

Striker49
07-18-2003, 09:46 AM
...thats why everythings messed up.

No seriously, anyone else having problems? Im thinking it may be my local server thats having the trouble, we got hit by a strorm and the city lost power for a while.

Just wondering which end its on, I may need to switch servers. lol.

:blah:

Doibugu2
07-18-2003, 09:52 AM
Ben had a message up for a short period of time saying he was going to optimize the forums?

Ben
07-18-2003, 09:56 AM
You guys post too many pictures - I'm scaling them back, you are using all my resources. :o

Striker49
07-18-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Ben
You guys post too many pictures - I'm scaling them back, you are using all my resources. :o

H/M thread. :o

What about a 40-50kb limit on the pix instead of 125. That would help alot.

If ya need anything Ben, you know where to find me. :D

QuadJunkies
07-18-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Striker49
H/M thread. :o

What about a 40-50kb limit on the pix instead of 125. That would help alot.

If ya need anything Ben, you know where to find me. :D H/M....LOL.I was thining the same thing.....:o :p

07-18-2003, 03:34 PM
ben dont change the size limits on the pics :( I already have to resize them all :( I think u should delete all posts from like 2001 and back and all the biggest thread posts. Im not sure if u could mass delete posts but if not i would do a lot if u want.

sportraxrider10
07-18-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by QuadMX18
ben dont change the size limits on the pics :( I already have to resize them all :( I think u should delete all posts from like 2001 and back and all the biggest thread posts. Im not sure if u could mass delete posts but if not i would do a lot if u want.

i agree with the pic thing, i already have to downsize them %40 when they come off my camera:eek2: if it went any smaller everything will be blury

Ben
07-19-2003, 12:18 AM
The current size limit on pictures is 125kb. Now multiply that by 600 (a conservative estimate of how many pictures are posted a day on here; about 9,000 posts are made a day). That comes to almost 75 megabytes of new pictures a day. :eek:

There is no ATV forum website on the internet, and very few internet sites, that have the huge volume of traffic and people coming to it every day (about 29 million hits a month) as EXriders. There are also very few forum sites (and none as big as us) that allow their users to post pictures directly to the forum (most sites make you add the pictures to another site and then link to them - a real hassle). When you combine those two factors the maximum file size on pictures is very important. ;)

Ben

trailburner
07-19-2003, 01:20 AM
Thanks to you Ben thats why this site is so BIG!! keep up the good work, Thank's alot!!!............

Pappy
07-19-2003, 01:42 AM
hey ben.....is there anyway to delete pics or have them converted to links only to save space?

sickmojave
07-19-2003, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by trailburner
Thanks to you Ben thats why this site is so BIG!! keep up the good work, Thank's alot!!!............

Ben
07-19-2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
hey ben.....is there anyway to delete pics or have them converted to links only to save space?

Yep - I will be deleting a bunch of them (about 2 gigabytes of old pictures that no one views anymore) on Monday or Tuesday. I will close the forums during that process (not long, a couple hours at most, maybe less). Then, with the new (i.e. lower than 125kb limit) file size limit we won't have to experience this clogging up again :D Just normal maintence on a big website! :p

07-19-2003, 02:43 AM
how much smaller are these limits goin to be? My pics are 640 x 480 and i have to resize them to 639 x 479 to fit. Its very annoying to resize such a minimal amount to post them so maybe u should bump it up just a little so i can just post them right off my camera :devil: but i see you point in how many pics there are posted. I also made this post before. i dunno if its possible though but im sure many members would help out. :)

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66788

Rip_Tear
07-19-2003, 04:41 AM
I totoally agree with you Ben! I would suggest posting links to place that exriders can upload their pics and link them into the page, places like yahoo, anglefire etc. Every little bit helps :D Maybe a sticky to explain how to link pictures into your post would help to, for some of the memebers that don't know how. Good luck!

QuadJunkies
07-19-2003, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
I totoally agree with you Ben! I would suggest posting links to place that exriders can upload their pics and link them into the page, places like yahoo, anglefire etc. Every little bit helps :D Maybe a sticky to explain how to link pictures into your post would help to, for some of the memebers that don't know how. Good luck! Is that when you have to have someone host your pics?:huh All I know is I never did figure out how to post pics at QuadCentral having to do that whole link thing.........:(

"BLAHH"300!!
07-19-2003, 10:09 AM
Ben.
.......I'm here, if you need any hep.. I have no problem with you, (or me) deleting old post's by me. Everythings been answered, and the ret is BS.
Drop my post count back to "0".?......Not a problem

click O.K. (http://exriders.com/vbb) to delete post's by user "BLAHH"300!!

Let me know if you want my help. i'll be home all day monday, and tuesday.

Pappy
07-19-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Ben
Yep - I will be deleting a bunch of them (about 2 gigabytes of old pictures that no one views anymore) on Monday or Tuesday. I will close the forums during that process (not long, a couple hours at most, maybe less). Then, with the new (i.e. lower than 125kb limit) file size limit we won't have to experience this clogging up again :D Just normal maintence on a big website! :p

hurry the hell up:macho i actually got pics of me with all 4 wheels off the ground:eek: :blah:

Striker49
07-19-2003, 12:25 PM
hurry the hell up:macho i actually got pics of me with all 4 wheels off the ground:eek: :blah:

This isnt a pic of your bike rubber-side up at hatfield is it? :eek:

Ben, is there some "hack" or "mod" you can do to the forums to remove old pictures after a certain date...say maybe, 3 months or so? And then the pics will be removed, but the posts will stay. Just an idea im throwin out.

Thx for removing my bs too. Sorry bout that. :(

Tommy 17
07-19-2003, 12:29 PM

i've seen the pics already... and pappy u sittin on the stand in the garage makin noises and having lil man and cody rock the quad back and forth don't count...

u gotta atleast have the motor runnin!!!!!

lmfao:p ;)

Pappy
07-19-2003, 12:31 PM
:mad: ok tammy....lmfao

actually i had a blast today....just lookin for a place to post some pics:devil:

Tommy 17
07-19-2003, 12:33 PM
lmfao its all in good fun:devil:

the pic of u launchin the pilot is friggion halarious!!!! nutty mofo:macho

Pappy
07-19-2003, 12:41 PM
haha yeah that guy was nutty:p i dont even wanna chance riding that thing....id be in traction for a month:mad:

JOEX
07-19-2003, 03:42 PM
If host the pics on another site you can hot link them to here using the img tags. I'm not sure how it affects things on Ben's end though.

Joe