PDA

View Full Version : Going to a 42 pilot...

Texan32
01-17-2002, 07:28 PM
Everyone seems to agree that switching to a 42 pilot helps tremendously with cold starts. My 400 does the same, especially up here in the great North Dakota. My question is.....if i change the pilot jet up to a 42, do I/ will I need to adjust the mixture screw. Zingnut did a great job illustrating how to change the jet, but never mentioned anything about the mixture screw.

01-17-2002, 07:43 PM
dont hink so, but check wit who u get it from. where did u get texan from if u from dokota?:huh

Texan32
01-17-2002, 09:17 PM
I'm not from North Dakota. I'm in the Air Force. Uncle Sam saw fit for me to experience what winter really is. So, Texas is Home, but ND is home for now.

Zingnut
01-18-2002, 06:52 AM
I changed the pilot jet out Wednesday and we had snow today, temp around 29 to 31. The bike started up fairly easy, still had to use the choke but just to get it fired up then went to half then to off. On the trails the bike ran just as it did before with no change except on start up. Since the change I don't have to play with the throttle and choke to keep it going during warmup. It just fires up and then idles strong, much stronger than it did before the change. The only concern I had was during the hot summers if this will have any effect. I also bought a #40 in case summer called for a smaller jet to keep peak performance, but don't forsee any problems due to the hot summers.

RideRed400EX
01-18-2002, 01:58 PM
TEXAN32 don't adjust the mixture screw unless the bike won't run. Most engine mods don't require any adjustment to the fuels screw and it's the most difficult part of the carb to tune.

9300EX
01-18-2002, 07:28 PM
I'll tell ya what. I put my 42 pilot in the other day and now this thing fire's right up as soon as I hit the start button. I did not touch the mixture screw. 30 degrees here today it started right up:D